Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExmoDad ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 12:39PM

I was browsing quotable quotes online and happened to come across a quote from the creepy sounding GA Richard Scott (that's what I remember of him as a former Morgbot)

Listed under "What Is Important in Life" it had this:

“In quiet moments when you think about it, you recognize what is critically important in life and what isn't. Be wise and don't let good things crowd out those that are essential.”
- Elder Richard G. Scott

Puh-leeze. This is supposed to be an uplifting quote?

The second part doesn't make sense. Aren't good things the ones that we should embrace as humans?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 12:52PM

He is such a creep. My friend Captain Moroni heard him yesterday on some devotional or round table say this in essence : When you need guidance or have an important decision to make do not look to your intellect, but to your feelings. Your deepest feelings will tell you what you should do in all things, trust only your feelings. WTH??? That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Posted by: John ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 02:21PM

I'll be honest, I think that is actually a pretty good quote...

It can really be used in the life in anybody, LDS or not.

For example - Leaving the church was essential to me. It was essential to my well being and happiness. However, I think the Church does have good aspects to it. I've realized that I can't let the good things in the Church crowd out the fact that it is not true.

+1 for the quote.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 02:55PM

...that women who had been raped ought to accept responsibility for instigating it and go confess to their bishops? ...that children who had been molested or beaten had brought it upon themselves by their actions and should accept the blame?

Why, yes, it is the same Richard G. Scott:
"The victim must do all in his or her power to stop the abuse. Most often, the victim is innocent because of being disabled by fear or the power or authority of the offender. At some point in time, however, the Lord may prompt a victim to recognize a degree of responsibility for abuse. Your priesthood leader will help assess your responsibility so that, if needed, it can be addressed. Otherwise the seeds of guilt will remain and sprout into bitter fruit. Yet no matter what degree of responsibility, from absolutely none to increasing consent, the healing power of the atonement of Jesus Christ can provide a complete cure."
- Richard G. Scott. "Healing the Tragic Scars of Abuse," General Conference, Ensign, May 1992

Don't know about you, but as far as I'm concerned, after that nothing this callous pig (I know, I know, I'm insulting the entire porcine species) could ever say in public is of any use to any sentient being whatsoever.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 12:56PM

What a horrible,horrible thing for that man to have said. So you have say,a child who is being molested by her father. She is already feeling such shame and very seldom do they tell anyone about the abuse. (Or could be a he.) And then she (he) is told it may be partially her/his fault and maybe they brought it on and could have stopped it. And go to the bishop to "see" how much was the victims fault.Holy crap. This man is an ignorant ass and should really keep his mouth shut. Do mormons really believe this kind of sh---y advice?

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 02:33PM

He's just carrying on SWK's beliefs as written in The Miracle of Forgiveness. SWK said it's better to fight to the death that lose your virtue. Well, here the rape victim is still alive, reading the stupid MOF her bishop gave her, so I guess she's partly to blame because she's not dead. Most molestation victims don't fight at all. I know I didn't. I believe MOF also has a passage about how the victim will eventually come to realize their part in it and will need guidance on repenting.

Yeah, a lot of mormons believe this because it's in a book written by a man who became the profit, and it's given to them by their bishop who they are raised to believe is called by god.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:04PM

That hurt my brain.

Of course, his version of "essential" is morgbotism, and if it was good we'd still be there and not here, I'll wager.

Posted by: Zarahemla_Metropolitan_Airport ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:40PM

Even when I was active TBM, I remember a talk that guy gave (i think in Priesthood session of GC)..

He pointed out the dangers of premarital sex and one of the dangers was that it might lead some to homosexuality...

I was like HuH?

Lots of straight sex makes somebody gay?

I also remember that guy when I was at the MTC; he basically told us in some kind of devotional that he had spoken with Christ...(not in so many words, but that was the obvious intent of his message)

What a loser.

Of all the GA's I grew up with, that dude I remember as being one of the guys most likely to just say stupid crap...

Posted by: Prophetess ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:53PM

I think he meant that if people didn't have to follow the rules about not having premarital sex, they wouldn't follow the rules about not having homosexual sex...it's the slippery slope argument. Anything other than missionary-style sex with your spouse for the purpose of procreation becomes a sin next to murder. Therefore - lots of straight sex makes somebody gay.
Love the Moron logic...

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 01:57PM

I've been out so long, I had only ever heard of about 6 of the current 15 before I came here. Scott is one I'd never heard of.

Ew, he's almost as creepy as Monson ... and even harder to listen to!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.