Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 09:41AM

I am reading a dated book called "America's Saints - The Rise of Mormon Power" by Robert Gottlieb and Peter Wiley. It kind of tells it like it is, warts and all, without being critical. The authors are not on a mission.

Anyway, I was intrigued to read in Chapter 5 about a Guatemalan Mormon who was critical of the heavy-handed tactics of the government there which the Mormon church supported. This man was a thorn in the side of the Mormon powers that be and when he was killed the church posthumously excommunicated him.

I had never heard of this before. How does that work? Do you get knocked down a tier or two to the terrestial or telestial kingdoms? Or are you consigned to hell?

One would think that after we die, God would take it from there, not manipulated by a bunch of old guys in Salt Lake City.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 09:49AM

Have you never heard the story of Helmuth Huebener? He was a teen aged Mormon boy from Hamburg, who wrote anti Nazi flyers and posted them around town. He used the church typewriter to write his essays. Got caught, tortured, beheaded. Local leader exed him for his actions, as they put the church as risk. Action was reversed, with the annotation that it had been done incorrectly.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 09:55AM

Because if they did, they would simply let uber-vengeful Mormon god sort it out.

The fact that they felt compelled to "excommunicate" someone who was already dead means they don't trust their own Plan of Salvation to work the way they claim it does.

Its all a sham, from start to finish.

Posted by: buckhntr ( )
Date: December 30, 2010 11:45AM

I'm wondering if you have to wait in line in heaven for your paperwork to clear. What if this guy from Guatemalla had already passed through the gates of heaven his TR was current tithing paid up... check you may pass. A week or two later woord is received that he is excommunicated from the church on earth. Does St Peter look all over heaven for him to send him to hell? Only in mormonism.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 31, 2010 11:27PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.