Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 09:55AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110103/ap_on_re/us_rel_apocalypse_soon

They can Rapture themselves all the way to Uranus for all I care (their heads are already up their own anuses [anii?] for sure). More oxygen for the rest of us!

"'If you still want to say we're crazy, go ahead,' she said. 'But it doesn't hurt to look into it.'"

Uh huh.

I intend to stay right here and live a long, happy, NORMAL life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 10:11AM

The real apocalypse is when you get hit by a car crossing the street because you were reading the crazy sign on a bench.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 10:14AM

I'd like to set my alarm to make sure I'm awake for the rapturisation - any clue about the time and what time zone will we be in when the thingie drops?

Briggy

Date: January 03, 2011 10:41AM

A photo op is a photo op and we don't want to be caught sleeping through it. After all, how many times are we going to see hundreds of the faithful zooming upward toward the heavens without benefit of the inventions of Messrs. Goddard and von Braun?

;-)

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 11:02AM

One of the most influential and over-looked scientists this world has ever known.

Timothy

Date: January 03, 2011 11:17AM

... by a bunch of people who think their god is gonna provide the rocket fuel for them!

<<howling>>

Posted by: Prophetess ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 10:18AM

"If May 21 passes and I'm still here, that means I wasn't saved. Does that mean God's word is inaccurate or untrue? Not at all," Warden said.

So apparently, if nothing happens on May 21, it means that the Rapture still happened, but no one was good enough to be caught up in it.

Posted by: ExBozo ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 10:44AM

Nooo... It just means that as a 'get out of feeling a complete idiot free' card, they can say some were taken, but only god knows who they were. Can't do a head count of the entire planet to check, can we..?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 10:27AM

Date: January 03, 2011 11:05AM

Ellen G. White wouldn't lie to anyone. Just ask any religious leader!

Timothy

Posted by: anbody ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 12:40PM

Hi Timothy...thanks for the Ellen G. White reference. I've not heard of her before so I looked her up. A lot of her stuff is very similar to proto-LDS theology.

Date: January 03, 2011 01:07PM

William Miller (guess you're already hip on this guy)

Charles Grandison Finney

The Fox sisters

Here you have the roots of apocalyptic fundamentalism, televangelism and modern spiritualism.

And just for the fun of it, Google "Burned Over District"

Turns out that Miller, White, Finney and the Fox Sisters, among others, were developing and practicing their respective witchcraft around the same time as Horn-Dog Joe and in his same neck 'o' the woods.

Fun stuff to be sure!

Timothy

Date: January 03, 2011 10:52AM

He was convinced that the end was nigh. He even went so far as to talk about removing his money from the bank so that those left behind could not get to it. I suspect that his pastor may have been encouraging him to give all his money to the church.

Being the bad person that I am, at one point I said Dude, what happened? The Rapture was all over the news last week.

Date: January 03, 2011 11:01AM

Anybody remember that religious group that took over San Francisco's Union Square on NYE Y2K? They were praying to be Raptured all night long. I guess dawn took them by surprise!

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 11:00AM

It's (without exaggeration) seriously old.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 11:00AM

You can't trust fundie Christian math.

So, I'm preparing for the End of Days to arrive any time between May 1 and June 15th.

They're using radio programs to organize the craziness? I hope they don't own machetes.

Africa, as well!? The idiots are traveling to Africa to add yet another evangelical insult to the anti-gay propaganda we've already exported? Africa, get ready to be screwed again by evangelicals.

On the plus side, the head organizing female will not be procreating any time soon. She's too busy.

Date: January 03, 2011 11:05AM

by parents whose grasp on science and technology is tenuous at best to begin with.

Too bad we can't just put them in a pod and fire it into deep-space orbit. Just to help them on their way, if you know what I mean. I'd be one of the first to say "Sayonara, suckers!"

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 11:18AM

Getting rid of all the Fundies sounds like Paradise to me!

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 11:18AM

what will happen when everything on May 22, 2011 is the same as it was on May 21, 2011.

Date: January 03, 2011 11:40AM

Google William Miller. ... Between 1843-1844, this guy convinced more than a few folks on more than one occasion to pack-up and head for the hills.

Miller's third strike, mentioned by poster "anybody" in an earlier post, became know as the "Great Disappointment" and caused his rather sizeable following to filter away.

Even so, Miller's unfounded ramblings set the stage for the birth of Seventh Day Adventism and Jehova's Witnesses as well as David Koresh's little BBQ on the west Texas plains a few years back.

So who knows?

Timothy

Date: January 03, 2011 11:31AM

Jesus seemed to speak of "the signs" taking place during thelifetimes of his Apostles. Each of them expected it to occur at any second. That mindset has continued as a cherished tradition for two millenia. We flinch when we hear an unexpected horn blast, we see the end in every (yet another) conflict in the MiddleEast, and with the turn of every new century.

Years ago Onmi magazine had a great article caled The End is Near, Again. It listed several predicted secondcoming events over the years that never happened. Very funny stuff.

Sadly, the Stake President decided that as EQPrez, I should present a lesson for PH on the signs of the times in December of 1999. With the apocalypse right around the corner, it was supposed to be a good warning for our brethren.

And you know, I think that that was the most fun teaching I have ever had. I took out some of the tabloid articles, some other items of apocalyptic amusement and by the end of the class I simply stated that we had little to fear if we are prepared, and it won't matter if the Lord comes to meet us, or we go there first. We had a lot of fun.

I don't think anyone left that room thinking that I believed in it for one second.

Posted by: Jack ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 12:19PM

This guy has the worst radio voice in the world, but has a long running radio program. People listen to him because his version of the gospel is what he seems to really believe. He isn't swayed by new age christians who "tolerate" or by evolutionists, or by any type of outside pressure. He just tells his version of the truth.

Sure he's a nut, but he isn't particularly charismatic like Koresh, Smith or Miller. He is less charismatic than Hinckley. He actually sounds like a distant relative of Boyd KKK, but without the arrogance.

Do you think he has a radio program planned for 5/22, the day after rapture?

Anyway, this guy's version of things is harmless compared to the damage done by many cult leaders. He is a radio preacher, and isn't really seeking a personal following. He doesn't marry young girls, or seek sex with virgins.

I suppose if you want to hear the insanity which is the bible and christian faith, this guy is a source for a non-dressed up version of that. :). No emotional speeches/sermons. No "its true if you feel it" manipulation. Just pure, detached insanity.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 12:36PM

I'm setting up lawn chairs and getting out the binoculars.

Date: January 03, 2011 12:50PM

Have you seen pictures of some of those Rapture types?

I'm concerned that you would be immediately blinded by the sight of them w/o clothing. You know, kinda like Saul of Torsos.

:-)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 01:05PM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 01:01PM

Shoot yourself in the head now. Why wait?

Posted by: ExBozo ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 01:23PM

May as well throw out the food storage then...

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 01:25PM

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 01:33PM

on *October* 21, 2011, not May 21st. Geesh.

I have the date marked on my calendar.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 01:42PM

I think a lot of these people might have some form of emotional or mental illness. Has anyone ever heard of a website called raptureready.com? It's sad and unnerving that these people center their entire lives around being raptured. I've read statements that some are depressed because it hasn't happened yet, they can't wait any longer for Christ to take them to heaven. It's like they don't live for anything else and they see no purpose in living a fulfulling life.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: January 03, 2011 02:01PM

but why advertise it?

What will those people say when the world is still having life as usual on May 22nd?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.