Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: redeye ( )
Date: January 04, 2011 06:10AM

If you were a back row mormon, are you now a back row exmo? If you were more on the evangelical side, now are you preaching atheism? I would ask if you were bored and uninterested with it all, but you people probably aren't on this board...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: January 04, 2011 07:21AM

I was personally fairly strict with how I practiced the religion, but...I never saw it as something I felt I needed to push on anyone else. I saw that other people were happy and let them be. I had TBM friends, gay friends, I had friends who "lived in sin", friends who drank, even friends who were atheists. I would basically befriend anyone who was a good person (I define "good person" as someone who is compassionate, honest and tries to never intentionally inflict harm on others.)

Now as an exmo, I'm content with how I practice my non-religion, but I don't see it as something I need to push on anyone else. I believe that there are many mormons who are genuinely happy in their beliefs and I'm content to let them be (except when I'm not and then I come here to vent about it;-)
I have maintained almost all my relationships with my mormon friends and family. I like to believe that they respect me in the same way that I respected my friends while I was a TBM.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 04, 2011 07:34AM

... which is why I left the cult.

I didn't buy bullshit back then any more than I do now.

The cult, by its own hand, went from true to false in the blink of an eye which only served to compromise its integrity, not mine.

Better hurry on to class, redeye. Ongoing Stupidity 101 is scheduled to start on time.

Timothy

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: January 04, 2011 01:19PM

I was an unworthy misfit then,,I am an unworthy misfit now.

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: January 04, 2011 02:21PM

I was totally a back row Mormon. Not that I half-assed my religious convictions, but I mostly tried to hide where I could and blend in. I didn't really speak up and volunteer to say prayers or go around sharing my testimony with other people. I did what was asked of me and left it at that.

Now that I know better, I'm very vocal about my beliefs (or lack thereof), even to the point of picking fights with my family at times (LOL). I guess I am trying to be active in the exmo cause, whatever that might be. I like to think of it as TRUTH. So I guess I am very different as an exmo than I was when I was a TBM, and that's probably because I have actual information to back up my beliefs with.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 04, 2011 02:43PM

I hate group think and intellectual (so-called) bullies just as much now as I did when Mormon.

Human, ever for the underdog

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.