Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 11:30PM

Packer:
Packer has bachelor's and master's degrees from Utah State University and an Ed.D. degree from Brigham Young University.

Perry:
Perry graduated from Utah State University in 1949 with a B.S. in business.

Nelson:
Nelson studied at LDS Business College while in his mid-teens and then worked as an assistant secretary at a bank. He did undegraduate studies and then received an M.D. degree from the University of Utah in August 1947He received a Ph.D. degree from the University of Minnesota in 1954.

Oaks:
He graduated from Brigham Young High School in 1950, Brigham Young University in accounting in 1954, and the University of Chicago Law School in 1957.
After graduating from the University of Chicago Law School, Oaks clerked for Chief Justice Earl Warren of the United States Supreme Court from 1957 to 1958. After his clerkship he practiced at the law firm of Kirkland & Ellis in Chicago. Oaks left Kirkland & Ellis to become a professor at the University of Chicago Law School. During part of his time on the faculty of the Law School, Oaks served as interim dean. Oaks left the Law School upon being appointed President at Brigham Young University.
Oaks would also serve five years as chairman of the Board of Directors of the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) (1979–1984) and eight years as chairman of the Board of Directors of the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Ballard:
Professionally, Ballard became involved in several enterprises, including automotive, real estate, and investment businesses. He was the top-selling salesman for his father’s Nash car dealership when he left it in the early 1950s to pursue other business interests. In 1956, Ballard returned and took over the Ballard Motor Company from his father. During this period he also served in the United States Army Reserve, resigning his commission as a first lieutenant in 1957.
During the late 1950s, Ballard was recruited by the Ford Motor Company to become the first Edsel car dealer for Salt Lake City. After praying for guidance, he had the "clear impression" not to sign the franchise. He did anyway and incurred a huge loss, "without doubt the darkest period" of his business career.

Scott:
Scott graduated from George Washington University with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering.He later completed, what was an equivalent to a doctorate in nuclear engineering at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee, but due to the classified nature of the work, a formal university degree could not be awarded. He also worked on the development of the first commercial land-based nuclear power plant.

Hales:
Hales was born in New York City, New York, and raised in Queens. His father Rulon Hales was a successful artist. He received degrees from the University of Utah and Harvard Business School. Hales was a pilot in the U.S. Air Force. He married Mary Crandall, whom he met as a college sophomore in Queens, and they have two sons.
During his professional business career, Hales served in executive positions with four major national companies. After joining the Gillette Co., he became president of Papermate, a division of Gillette. Then he joined Max Factor as a vice president, and later headed Hughes Television Network. Just prior to his call to be a general authority, he was president of Chesebrough-Pond's.

Holland:
Holland later transferred to Brigham Young University where he graduated with a BA in English. He then received an MA in Religious Education from BYU while also teaching religion classes part time. After earning his master's degree, Holland became an Institute of Religion teacher in Hayward, California. He next served as an institute director in Seattle, Washington. While in Seattle, Holland served as the bishop of a single adults ward. Holland attended Yale University and earned a second master's degree, this time in American Studies, and later a Ph.D in the same subject. At Yale, Holland studied with American literary scholar and critic R. W. B. Lewis and authored a dissertation on the religious sense of Mark Twain.[4]

Bednar:
then attended Brigham Young University, where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in communication in 1976 and a Master of Arts degree in organizational communication in 1977. He then received a Doctorate in organizational behavior from Purdue University in 1980.
From 1980 to 1984, Bednar was the assistant professor of management in the College of Business Administration at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Arkansas. He became assistant professor of management at Texas Tech University from 1984 to 1986. He then moved back to the University of Arkansas as the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies in the College of Business Administration from 1987 to 1992 and was then the director of the Management Decision-Making Lab from 1992 to 1997. In 1994, he was recognized as the outstanding teacher at the University of Arkansas and received the Burlington Northern Foundation Award for Excellence in Teaching. He has twice been the recipient of the Outstanding Teacher Award in the College of Business Administration.

Cook:
He graduated from Utah State University in 1963 with a bachelor's degree in political science and from Stanford Law School in 1966.
The Cooks moved to Hillsborough, California, where they had three children. Cook worked for 27 years as a corporate attorney, becoming a managing partner of Carr, McClellan, Ingersoll, Thompson and Horn in the San Francisco Bay area; for three years as president and chief executive officer of California Healthcare System (CHS); and then for some time[citation needed] as vice chairman of Sutter Health System. His tenure at CHS was marked by controversy as he orchestrated the lease of the once-public Marin General Hospital; the lease resulted in the transfer of millions of dollars of public funds to CHS. Cook also volunteered for 14 years as city attorney.

Christofferson:
After his mission, he earned a bachelor's degree from Brigham Young University and a J.D. from Duke University School of Law.
Christofferson began his law career as a law clerk to Judge John J. Sirica during the Watergate hearings. As a lawyer, Christofferson worked in Washington, D.C.; Nashville, Tennessee; Herndon, Virginia; and Charlotte, North Carolina. Christofferson was the associate general counsel for NationsBank in Charlotte and was the volunteer chairman of Affordable Housing of Nashville, Tennessee.

Anderson:
After his mission, he graduated from Brigham Young University and earned an MBA degree from Harvard Business School. He lived and worked in Tampa, Florida, where he was the vice president of the Morton Plant Health System. In the church, Andersen was a stake president in Tampa.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 11:43PM

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 12:35AM

What's up with that? Read the description:

http://religion.byu.edu/program_ma.php

How could this course of study result in a valid, accredited degree?

"Spiritual Learning Outcome": Students will seek the Holy Ghost as an aid in studying and pondering LDS scripture, doctrine and history.

I wish I could have consulted the holy ghost for some help with the statistics courses I was required to pass to get my MA. Oh, brother!!!

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 08:17AM

The brief states that to pass you muss have acquired an understanding of Church History by 'rigorous study'...

So at least one of the Apostles knows it's a fraud!

Posted by: jon ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 08:14AM

it's nice to see that the Church's leaders reflect society in general.

How many of the 12 are Black?
How many of the 12 are Women?
How many of the 12 are Carpenters? (or equivalent)

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:25AM

how many of them have a median household income of $49,777? =)

Posted by: toppity ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 11:09AM

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 11:22AM

Isn't it just beyond that the leaders of the church are WEALTHY businessmen! WEALTHY!!!!

I hate that organization!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 11:27AM

bunch of corporations and church. No surprise there.
Just what I would expect to see on the board of a huge corporation.

Posted by: top ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 01:47PM

Posted by: anonski22 ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 02:22PM

Id have much fewer issues with these men, if they would just call themselves, what everyone with a brain can see for themselves: A Board of Directors.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 03:38PM

Let's see...Who did Jesus call to be His apostles? Mostly fishermen, maybe a steward, and tax collector. The rest we don't know.

Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:25PM

Anyone know how much money these guys are allotted or the amount of their stipend?

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:36PM

Guess they have to have a business degree in order to "work" for LD$ Inc,.

Posted by: toppity ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 11:42AM

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 11:53AM

Packer lists a Ed.D. from BYU. Typically, dissertations are public. In fact, most candidates are proud of their work and make it available.

Try to find Packer's disseration. Not to be found. Why is that? Was it crap? Hmmm.... Enquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 12:20PM

Okay, so it's managed, staffed and rife with educated rich dudes. How's that different from any other corporation (diversity aside, which is a whole other issue)?

Ron

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 12:24PM

Corporations aren't advertising they are the one true church. Think the point is would Jesus today be running a corporation? Probably not.

Posted by: yawnie ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 01:51PM

anon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Corporations aren't advertising they are the one
> true church. Think the point is would Jesus today
> be running a corporation? Probably not.

Zeus runs a multinational corp in industries such as weather profiling, agora trading, and solar energy production.

I suppose Jesus could do that too.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 12:46PM

That heavenly guidance and wisdom did not come from the learning of men or from the wisdom of the world. That Heavenly guidance was unique and unmistakeable and that the Church was the perfect organization for that very reason.

Instead of having simple everyday men inspired by God well beyond their commonplace understanding, the church of today has expert businessmen who make typical business decisions and mistakes, and who recieve direction from the PR gurus.

Now I have no problem with men of good learning leading the church. But what does bother me is that it runs just like a corporation by corporation types, and with the mindset of a regional manager instead of a pastoral leader.

They do not bring new revelation, they bring business models. They do not bring new understanding of scripture, which is necessary in todays informed world, but instead they issue calls for Staus Quo and team building.
They do not bring new teachings for the correction of the saints, but instead calls for repentance and strict adherence to conformity.

As a corproation, you are right- it is run like a typical corporation by the typical corporation dudes, and if that is what it is then that makes sense.

But it was supposed to have been a church with power and authority from God. As advertised.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 01:55PM

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 12:26PM

Au contraire!! All corporations advertise their product as the one "true" product, better than all others. Jesus has nothing to do with either.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 01:00PM

Huh? I know they dumb down the Jesus part but they still claim to be a religion. Last time I checked no Fortune 500 companies were touting they received revelation from God. So you are correct that Jesus has nothing to do with corporations but not so much the other.

Posted by: Kristen ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 01:09PM

This is random, but as I was reading that list I felt a little surge of pride, because when I got to the end I thought, "Who the hell is Anderson?"

Just the fact that I don't have all those names ingrained into my psyche is liberating. :)

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 01:16PM

I guess to be a god in the mormon church you only need to know how to screw.

Date: January 06, 2011 04:11PM

Posted by: JF ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 01:30PM

My question: If Bednar has been in the States since 1976, why the hell is that stupid accent so thick? I served my mission in Mexico City, and after one year, locals were telling me I had no American accent at all. WTF?

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 01:36PM

You are confusing Bednar with Uchdorf.

Date: January 06, 2011 01:41PM

It took me 3 weeks before the Uchdorf finally went away...

Posted by: yawnie ( )
Date: January 06, 2011 01:53PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.