Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: January 08, 2011 05:26PM

"As the Holy Ghost falls upon one of the literal seed of Abraham, it is calm and serene… while the effect of the Holy Ghost upon a Gentile, is to purge out the old blood, and make him actually of the seed of Abraham. That man that has none of the blood of Abraham (naturally) must have a new creation by the Holy Ghost. In such a case, there may be more of a powerful effect upon the body, and visible to the eye, than upon an Israelite.”

- Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr., History of the Church, v. 3, p. 380

“Joseph taught that the Gentile blood was actually cleansed out of their veins, and the blood of Jacob made to circulate in them; and the revolution and change in the system were so great that it caused the beholder to think they were going into fits.”

- Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 2, p. 269
=======
And I use to belong to that wacky cult :(

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 08, 2011 07:11PM

I heard during my time in the Morg that patriarchal blessings assigning one to the tribe of Ephraim were sometimes because in joining the church one's blood was literally changed to become part of that tribe even if you were not literally a descendant. A gentile becomes transfused with the blood of Abraham, and of the line of Jacob, and then more specifically of his son Ephraim because the Holy Ghost makes the change in them.

Yep, a cult.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: January 08, 2011 07:39PM

This is just so ridiculously funny to think that anyone actually believes it. I heard rumors of this while a TBM but thought that it was just people making stuff up and not real doctrine.

Wow! Wacky stuff.

TG

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 01:33PM

I first wanted to write "Jewish Blood-Transfusion" into the subject line, but I was thinking of poor rockfish freaking out. Like Christina said, Mormons who aren't Jewish were told in their patriarchical blessings that they belong to Ephraim now, but geez! I never heard that freaky stuff before.
I also heard that the so-called "Lost Tribes" are either at the North Pole or "Outer-Space" according to the early church. If I find it, I'll post that. I think I got that bookmarked somewhere during my leaving-the-cult research.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 02:09PM

"'Transubstantiation' is the alleged process whereby the bread and wine offered up at the communion service have their substances changed to that of the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus while their accidents remain that of bread and wine. What looks like, tastes like, etc., bread and wine is actually another substance altogether. How this happens is a mystery and defies logic. How it can happen would require a miracle.

"In Catholicism, transubstantiation is also known as the doctrine of the real presence . . . ."

("From Abracadabra to Zombies: Transubstantiation," in "The Skeptics's Dictionary," at: http://www.skepdic.com/transubstantiation.html)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2011 02:13PM by steve benson.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 02:16PM

What about 7-foot tall Quakers on the moon? If they converted and got the fits when their blood changed, would they float away into space?

Ron

Posted by: mateo ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 02:25PM

You know, a few DNA tests on, say, African LDS converts could clear this one up real quick. Are they still genetically related to their never-Mo, never-Abrahamic parents? Yes? Well, there's your answer.

I suppose it'd be something else for the Limited Theology Model.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2011 02:26PM by mateo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.