Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DeannaM9903 ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 02:23PM

My husband asked a Mormon man, who is a preacher as I would say, about the part of the Mormon Bible that talks about a group of people having darker skin, because of a punishment or as a curse. He then asked why it is that black people are being punished and why do they believe it? So, the Mormon man said "oh, they weren't talking about black people. They were talking about Indians."

Ok, so what made that right or ok? Who cares if it was a black, white, red, or yellow man? How are Mormons teaching their children that a color of one's skin is a punishment or a curse?

Oh, so why do white people or lighter colored people tan to be darker???? Oh, I guess they don't think about that?

(((((If you read in other areas of the Bible they point out when things start to change in the church and they no longer go by their Bible another prophet comes about and has to resurrect it to it original word. Which means black preachers would no longer be, because that is how it was in the past too.))))

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 02:38PM

That's funny, All this mormon tripe mentions "negros" and very little of indians.

http://www.nowscape.com/mormon/negro.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2011 02:42PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 03:12PM

Native Americans.

The Pearl of Great Price discusses the curse of Black people.

There was enough racial hate to go around, except for Asians, who were generally absent enough to be tolerated.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 05:32PM

"Oh, so why do white people or lighter colored people tan to be darker???? Oh, I guess they don't think about that?"

This is a fairly recent phenomenon, and it represents a shift in how we portray our economic status/social prestige.

Before the latter part of the 20th century, light skin was associated with high social class -- someone who didn't have to engage in manual labor outdoors where they'd be exposed to the sun. Now that we all work in office buildings rather than wheat fields, things have changed. Being tanned suggests that you have so much money that you can hang out by the pool as much as you want and travel to sunny places like Hawai'i or Rio when you get bored at the pool.

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 04:23PM

So true. In the Phillippines lots of people used skin-whitening soap (which always left a purplish, bleachy tint on the skin).

Their hottest women on TV and magazines were all light-skinned. Lighter was beautiful because darker was natural, or "common."

Come to think of it, the lighter-skinned members always seemed to know English better, be more well-off, and get put in leadership positions, too.

One of those things that make you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2ayWcJfxo

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.