Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:17PM

We will be grandparents probably near or in our 50s.

Half of my nieces are moms at 21. This is in Utah.

Out here in the Midwest I don't know anyone personally that became a grandparent in their 40s. I haven't heard of anyone's kids becoming parents at 21.

It is interesting to both my wife and I. I think she is shedding at least that crazy idea we grew up with that she was an old maid when we married.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:30PM

Teenage pregnancies, many unmarried, make mother's g/ma's in their middle to late 30's, especially if they had their child as a teenager.
Of course, that has nothing to do with religion, that I can tell.

I was born when my mother was 22, and I had my first child when I was 22, that made my mother just around 45 when she became a g/ma. My grandmother born in the late 1800's gave birth to my mother when she was 20.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 12:33PM

Aauuugh! I had DD when I was 37 and I still think I'm too young to be a mother! :-) I felt so freaking old when one of my best friends from high school became a grandma at 43.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 01:01PM

Both she and her daughter had babies at age 18.

I'm 52 and don't expect to be a gma for many years.

TG

Posted by: Marco Torres ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 01:06PM

There is one good thing about this and it is the grandkids won't have dinosaurs for grandparents. By the time I was old enough to actually know mine they were in their 70's.

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 01:12PM

in her early 50s... and yes, the DO live in a trailer actually.

Posted by: Interested ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 01:44PM

I was grandma at 32 and a great grandma at 49

Posted by: george ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:07PM

My sister-in-law Mary Ann, a mother at 17, a grandmother at 34.
A Southern California gal, very middle class, a beautiful woman.
Into sports, boating and race cars - inactive LDS.

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:21PM

My sister was a grandmother at 42. She got married at 19 and had her first of two kids at 20. The oldest got married at 21 and was a father at 22. No Mormons in the scenario, just Methodists. Oh, and we're all staunch Midwesterners.

Getting married young was the thing to do when my sister got married (1972) so I don't think young grandmotherhood (new word!) is uncommon for people my sister's age. To have that happen nowadays, though, is a bit strange.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2011 02:23PM by BestBBQ.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:27PM

My TBM mormon stepmonster had her first kid at 16. He, in turn, impregnated his girlfriend at 17. She was a Gramma by 33. Great Gramma by her late 50s.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:31PM

Living in Utah County.

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:33PM

I'm only 30, but when I see 20 year-olds with kids, they just look like babies to me. I can't imagine having a kid that young, although I know it's the norm for places like Utah. I, at least, knew something about kids after having raised my 5 younger siblings. But half of these girls don't know what the hell they're doing.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:44PM

I knew a lady (neighbor of a friend) who was a grandma at 29. Had her first daughter at 15. That daughter had a child a 14. Not LDS to be sure. More like meth-head welfare party queens.

Lets see, that granddaughter was about 10 the last time I saw her (about 20 years ago). So I would lay money that she's a great-grandma by now, if not a great-great grandma.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:37PM

My sister became a grandma at 41--she now has 7. She is 17 months older than I am in age and my kids aren't even married yet (but then I got married at 27 and she got married at 21).

Her 3 children all had babies at age 19 and were not married. They all followed in each other's footsteps--rebelling against their controlling mother. I have to say she is a good grandma though (and none of her children are mormon any longer and none of her grandchildren either).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2011 03:38PM by cl2.

Posted by: olive ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 04:34PM

My mom had me in her late 30's (before it was "in" to have kids later in life). She is turning 65 this year. My husband's grandma just turned 65 in December. She married at 16 and had my MIL at 17. So my son's mamaw (great-grandma) and his grandma are only 1 year apart.

Just as a side note though, my mom only had 2 children. Grandma-in-law had 11. It's amazing to see how lifestyle really affects how you age. My mom could easily pass for being younger than my MIL (who's 48), probably 43 or 44. Everyone in my husband's family always is so surprised when I tell them proudly that my mom is 64 because I know she looks so good for her age. In their family, by the time you hit your 60's you're pretty much knocking on death's door. Maybe it's just a lifetime of working (church and huge families) that contribute to the poor health.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.