Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ink ( )
Date: January 09, 2011 08:19PM

Let's hear it for Facebook. I love corresponding with members from the past, sharing our parting experiences along the way. I used to "untag" myself from TBM-compromising photos -- but now I relish them because they invite discussion from those who seem least likely to be skeptics, but in fact, are.

Digo esto en el nombre del monstruo de Espagueti Volador. Amen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schuwomann ( )
Date: January 09, 2011 08:53PM

Amen. LOL

Yeah, FB can be good, but I had a rather negative experience on there just the other day. Because I have several mormon FB friends, including my mother and siblings, I am pretty careful about what I post for status updates. I never post any swear words or exmo type of stuff, but I make it no secret in my profile that I am agnostic; some of the movies I list are rated R, a LOT of the groups I joined are very liberal and/or somewhat inappropriate. Anyway, a few weeks ago I "friended" the mother of one of my old friends from my childhood. I have fond memories of my friend's mother from when I was a kid; she always treated me with respect and we got along well. She has mental problems but she's very interesting. (I tend to attract people like that for some reason.) Incidentally, her daughter (my old friend) was an exmo but recently went back to the Morg (I have no idea why). Her other daughter, also a friend, is a lesbian. Their mother (let's call her "Joan" is the lady I recently friended. She only posts mormon-y stuff on her page, as she has no life whatsoever outside of the church. She is trying to get her lesbian daughter to come back to the fold. Anyway, the point of all this is, the other day Joan (who I haven't spoken to or heard from in 10 years) actually had the nerve to send me a message on FB as follows: "read some of your comments [on other people's pages]. you need to grow up and get some values. ceriously." (her misspelling)

I "un-friended" her right away because I was afraid that I would send her a very nasty reply and make her cry. I have too many manners for that but DAYUM was I tempted!!! How dare she?? My own mother would never say or write anything like that to me. I don't know why this bothers me so much but I can't stop thinking about it.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: January 09, 2011 08:57PM

The mormons spoiled Facebook for me. I hated that feeling of constantly having to censor myself so I didn't shame my mother or give Grandpa a heart attack. So I quit FB. :)

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 09, 2011 09:04PM

Posted by: ina ( )
Date: January 09, 2011 09:06PM

I love the exmormon facebook pages, I just people would interact more regularly on those sites. There is always a mormon troll, and I think I have one of them about to quit the church. Very gratifying.

I never censor my posts. I did have one of my dad's cousins defriend me because of my language and she's not even mormon. Oh, well. The only time I met her in person was at my uncle's funeral and then my dad's funeral, so it was not a disappointment. I write posts about drinking alcohol and coffee all the time, it doesn't seem to bother my TBM family. I guess I'm lucky but if any of them do unfriend me, I honestly will not care.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: January 09, 2011 10:18PM

Bien dicho mi hermano. It warms my heart to have linked up with you today. Keep in touch! ...

Your "unlikely skeptic" friend, the Major ;)

Date: January 09, 2011 11:31PM

Cuitade, y sea feliz. Es lo que ha mandado a hacer.

Men are that they might have joy. :-)

Date: January 09, 2011 11:35PM

Now, if only I could speel correctly...

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 03:10AM

you accepted his FB invite last night.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 09, 2011 10:23PM

Hide this (name).... and Mark as Spam.
I clean up stuff I don't want on my page in a hurry.
It's a social network, and I have no interest in reading stuff people post using it for anything else.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 10, 2011 12:54AM

My normal one, with my maiden name and my Mormon family and friends and another one, with my nickname and married last name and all my real friends who aren't Mormon. I have my exmo groups on that one, am a fan of Starbucks and the Episcopal church and am my real self. I am trying to bring those two pages together so I'm one authentic person but it works for now. Part of that is slowly unfriending my more obnoxious Mormons on my original FB page.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.