Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: zarah ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 05:14PM

I am an ex Mormon, with a family that dates back to pre-Kirtland temple, actually they helped build that.

Anyway, I have remained friends with a very devout LDS woman since our high school days. I actually give her a lot of credit for that, since I know she would be discouraged from maintaining this friendship. I care about her and have known her children since they were born.

One of her daughters is attending BYU, and wants to go on a mission as soon as she graduates. After reading this page, http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon555.htm I have a LOT of concerns about this plan.

The daughter, whom I will call Cindy, is extremely innocent, quite artistic, and has had a few problems with stressful situations. She is a TBM all the way, and I think a mission with any of the problems detailed in the above link would simply devastate her mentally and emotionally.

Here is my problem, and any advice would be so welcome.

How do I alert her mother to these potential issues Cindy might face on a mission? Obviously, saying anything negative about the church is a "kid gloves" situation, but if her mother knew any of these potential issues, I honestly think she would advise her not to go, OR, at the very least, remain diligent about personally insuring her daughter's emotional and physical health when she goes.

There is no way the mother would go to a site called "exmormon.org" so I think that suggestion is out.

Help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 06:19PM by zarah.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 07:27PM

Sorry, but I have no good advice...it seems to me to be something that you don't have a right to get involved in. Staying in touch with the girl, if the two of you already talk now and then, though, would be perfectly appropriate.

Posted by: zarah ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 07:50PM

Well, I just ended up broaching the subject with her mom. Told her some stories from the former missionaries, tried to soften it by saying some of the missions might not be as bad...and that I thought her other two kids might be able to handle it, but I was concerned about "Cindy."

I think she believed me about the stories, but of course, it was awkward at the end.

I meant to tell her to ask former missionaries that she might have a strong relationship with to tell her the truth about their missions, but forgot.

A W K W A R D

But she is a good mom, and I at least if Cindy does go, I think she will give her good advice and tell her that starving, or losing her health is not going to make her more worthy, and that if she doesn't find "enough" people to baptize, it does not mean she is at fault because her faith isn't strong enough.

I told her also that my ex-mormon nephew-in-law's brother is going next month. To Taiwan. I told him to try to get him a credit card, and if they hold on to his passport and he needs/wants to leave that he should go to the Embassy. They will get it back for him and allow him to contact his parents.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.