Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Searching Truth ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 03:17PM

In looking back at my illustrious "career" as a TBM, I recalled some pretty benign behavior that at the time made me cringe to think that I had done.

One quick example: when DW and I were first married, she got really sick on a Sunday. We went to church like good little TBMers, but she continued to be in pain. Because we were newly married, we had no pain relievers in our apartment, and she finally asked (reluctantly) that I go to the store to buy some. I think we may have even prayed about it before deciding "the ox was in the mire" and it was okay to go.

As I went to the local supermarket, I remember silently praying for 2 things: 1.) That God would forgive me for this indiscretion; and, 2.) Please, please, don't let me see anyone I knew at the store.

I ended up buying the medicine, without seeing anyone I knew, and DW felt much better later on. But, I remember feeling pretty repentant and vowing never to do that again.

I know, I know...seems pretty silly now, but back then, that seemed like a pretty big sin.

What about the rest of you? What were some of your past "sins" as a TBM?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saviorjoe ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 03:27PM

Thinking a dirty thought, masturbating, being worldly and wanting to learn meaningless things of the world, like anything not church-related. (I had a serious problem with this. World history, for instance, was not valid or worth finding out about unless it was related to the church somehow). And, of course, a myriad of other things.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 03:37PM

Well, I wasn't a TBM, but I once got thrown out of the LDS museum or whatever it's called, there by the SLC Temple. They said it was because I as eating and it wasn't allowed (I had an apple, I mean, if Eve can eat it, so can I, and I sure didn't see no sign), but I think it was cause I looked like a hippy. I was 18.

Does that count?

We also had our hippy van set on fire in the park there. Me and a bunch of high school buddies on a little road trip. We took it as a sign to leave town. This was after we were obviously followed around by an employee in the store where I bought the apple. Jeez, are Mormons uptight or what???

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 04:12PM

Eve got thrown out for eating an apple too.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 05:01PM

blessed the water and stale bread while still drunk from saturdays festivities. Didn't miss a word!

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 05:04PM

I struggled with the decision to go. It was work related.
And I was a college student living at home for the Summer.
My choice to go caused some family tension.

I guess I was never a very good TBM. :)

K

Posted by: Ikki ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 05:12PM

I kissed a missionary, just a couple weeks after my baptism. And I drove with the missionaries outside of the mission boundaries on a sightseeing tour.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 05:23PM

I remember crying the whole way to work the first time I had to work on a Sunday.

Funny how quickly that changed to me requesting to work sundays...

Posted by: Chaeli ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:36AM

I had relationships with several missionaries (sex with one)--and eventually was compelled to confess to the Mission President. I think its obvious we were 19 and horney!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.