Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 09:05PM

This is what it reads:

Kimberly X XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXX
Membership #XXXXXX XXXXXXX
Birthdate City State

Mr. Dodge,
This letter is my formal resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and it is effective immediately. I request No Contact about the matter from local leaders.

After today, the only contact I want from the church is a single letter of confirmation to let me know that I am no longer listed as a member of the church.

Thank You,

Kimberly X XXXXX
address
city state zip

That's it. I don't feel the need to explain myself or say what I do and do not want, they won't read past the first sentence anyway.

I can honestly say I have never believed. I was raised by TBM grandparents, grandpa a convert in his 40s. Grandma is still alive, I live with her at this time. That is the reason I haven't sent in the letter before. Now that it's email, it's much easier. Besides, she recently dis-inherited me and my boys from getting to stay in the house after she dies, so there's really no reason to not resign. I don't have to tippy-toe around and worry about pissing her off anymore.

Any wise words before I hit SEND?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 09:16PM by possiblypagan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 09:10PM

I had mine in my draft box in e-mail for 2 weeks. I hit send on Monday, was it GayLayAle? (He resigned the same day.)

My parents are dead--they were prepared anyway--and my daughter is TBM, but I warned her ahead of time.

I was worried about hitting send, but I really completely forgot about it until GayLayAle said he sent his in that day--AND my nonmo boyfriend asked me later that evening. I was worried it might be "traumatic"--nothing. I'm glad I did it. I did it to make a statement to my daughter more than anything.

Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 12:18AM

Mine is still in draft form and has been for about a week. Glad to see so many others sending it in or getting close to. It gives me strength. Sorry, no advice fOr you, just some pre-congratulations I guess!

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:01AM

Kudos to all! For some reason there is significant emotional energy around this step it seems, it feels sort of like closing the coffin on an abusive parent (you might hate the bastard/bitch but you're bonded in fundamental ways nonetheless). I regard this important, exhilarating, terrifying step as courageous and heroic. I bow to your worthiness!

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:22AM

Jolene, good for you too! We're getting closer all the time :)

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:27AM

+10. "You might hate them...but you are bonded"

Exactly right words

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 05:45AM

I too send my pre-congratulations to you and anyone waiting to resign.

All I can say is that for me it felt so good once I had done it. It does take courage, and we all have different circumstances which determine whether we do it or not.

The main factor is that you are taking back control of your own life. It really did feel like a heavy weight taken off my shoulders once the decision was made.

Best wishes to you as you get closer to that send button.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.