Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 02:45AM

I see people posting about Wicca-- just wondering if there are any practitioners of Africa Cuban traditions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 08:40AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 09:21AM

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 09:46AM

I live in an area (as does BigNeverMo) where the practice of Santería is widespread.

I sometimes see the fruits of the sacrifices to the Santeria gods on the railroad tracks not far from where I live: dead fowl on the tracks. The practitioners believe there is some mighty mojo in the combination of the sacrificed animal and iron (represented by the railroad tracks).

The criminal court building had a special crew just to clean up the creatures sacrificed by persons in an effort to appease the gods to let their relatives be found not guilty of criminal charges. Eventually, the court officials made a designated area specifically for this purpose.

Around town, you'll see men or women dressed entirely in white. They are santeros/santeras - priests or priestess - of Santería.

We truly live in a demon haunted world ... at least in South Florida.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 11:07AM

we have a large population of Haitians here as well as Cubans... i never heard about the court thingy though,,,interesting! we have vultures downtown too!! or we used to!!

Posted by: notamomo ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 10:36AM

"I don't practice santeria...I ain't got no crystal ball..."

Date: January 20, 2011 11:03AM

Ogun is represented by the train tracks. In parts of Florida it is hard to swing a dead chicken without hitting....a dead chicken. A little santeria humor.

It is a valid spiritual practice but the number of those who abuse the power and trust can be high. A good book is Living Santeria by Michael Mason, a curator at the Smithsonian who took up the practice.

It is about finding balance in one's path and aligning oneseldf with beneficial energies but that sometimes gets lost in the petty curse warfare. The media misrepresentation is chronic. The Ifa foundation of north America deals with the practice in a more stripped down way and removes a lot of the applied culteral stuff.

Posted by: Lindi ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 11:06AM

Killing animals to appease their god? Sounds like a terrible religion. What kind of a god relishes violence and death?

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 11:08AM

oh...sorry ALL religions are man made!! :)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 11:26AM

They don't kill animals to appease a god- It's for a favour and the payment is blood or a life sometimes. I'm not condoning or condemning it; As far as I understand, Santeria practioners do it humanely.

Back in my pagan days, i did look into the religion a little, but it wasn't for me.

Date: January 20, 2011 11:31AM

Lindi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Killing animals to appease their god? Sounds like
> a terrible religion. What kind of a god relishes
> violence and death?

You read a lot about it in the Bible and it is a part of many religions . It is a protected right in the US.

Date: January 20, 2011 12:05PM

Voodoo is different from Santeria. There is also Palo and root work, among others. They are based on African practices that spread when African slaves were taken to other countries.

Some of the practices are about control and others are about balance. There are good and bad people who practice them and those who are good do it to help people find balance and the right path. It is believed by making an offering to an energy that you are influencing things in positive mannner. I have experienced things that come under the category of a miracle. ...things that should be medically impossible. Other things that the coincidence was so small as to be near impossible.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 11:36AM

Mormonism?

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 11:12AM

No, but I drink sangria and shop at IGA. Does that count?

Just wonderin'...

ron

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 11:52AM

They're my active compensatory factor.

Timothy

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:12PM

Ah, those were the days. The adult equivalent of a plate of cookies for Santa.

And Iemanjá was hot, in a Wicked Queen sort of way.

Date: January 20, 2011 01:17PM

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 03:02PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.