Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 10:51PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 11:00PM

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 11:06PM

"Some members fail to spend enough time cultivating their faith through scripture study, pondering, and prayer. Sometimes people read blatantly anti-Mormon literature and mistakenly take it seriously."

A TRUE church shouldn't need such pondering, study, and prayer, it should be simple. I mean isn't that what it was "founded" for? To be simple? You pray about it, feel good about it, badda bing badda boom you're done? LIES!

"Mistakenly take it seriously."

This "Anti-mormon literature website" has been so much more informative to me then the missionaries, leaders, scriptures, and seminary ever has.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 11:42PM

Good study too, not that lame-o onlinestudyguide pap the morg puts out.

Like study the footnote for Luke 10:22 and compare it with the Book of Mormon and the Book of Moses and then ask why is the King Follett Discourse and D&C 130 proof that the church is true.

Or study the sermon on the mount, and the exact same sermon in 3Nephi and then ask why those verses were changed in the JST.

Yes, if people want to know whether the church is true and whether it teaches the true gospel ogf Jesus Christ, then by all means please do study your scriptures, but do it seriously.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 11:40PM

<Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!> Suuuuuuuuuuuure, you do!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 11:45PM

What a bunch of phony responses. Not one seems legit.

Posted by: ina ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 10:52AM

Haha! That's what I thought, too. The comments were obviously staged.

Date: January 14, 2011 11:05AM

Did anyone read comment #14? Whoever "staged" that comment laced it with misspellings. Then, at the end it said "Sorry for any grammar mistakes!" Yeah, that's real.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 11:57PM

Reading Mormon history through a tainted lens (because the facts are presented by anti-Mormons).

Oh, puh-lease. Yes, please let's have your discernment instead (can you spell Hoffman?)

Anagrammy

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 04:36AM

The lens is tainted both ways

No evidence at the Hill Cumorah, no problem there must be another Hill Cumorah

The Promised Land is an issue, no problem it doesn't refer to a land it refers to a people

No horses, no problem they were something else

Adam isn't God any more, no problem Brigham was only speaking as a man on that occasion

Called out on a delicate doctrine, no problem we don't know that we teach it

Etc, etc, etc

Is Momonism built on rock or shifting sands?
Pick up your lens (or rock) and you decide!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:17PM

Yes! Hofmann!, (said in the nicest way possible with a smile).

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 11:59PM

Hey, there is some fun advice in that link:

"I encourage you to visit the Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research (FAIR)"

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 12:23AM

Because I don't remember it filling a spiritual void, I remember it BEING a spiritual void. And they keep mentioning the spiritual fulfillment in the article, forcing me to think WTF?

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 12:35AM

The institution kept you so busy fulfilling obligations and self evaluations that the spirituality was often substituted with a satifaction for accomodating their expectations.

So despite being a shining success, you walked around wondering what sin your were guilty of that kept you from feeling as spiritual as you thought you would.

Much like my hamster who gets into his little wheel, runs like hell for a minute, gets out and looks around, and then gets in and starts running, gets out and looks around and then gets...

Poor little guy is doing everything he should be doing, and he's doing it as hard as he can, but when he stops, he's still right there next to his dish.

Date: January 20, 2011 09:57AM

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 04:01PM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because I don't remember it filling a spiritual
> void, I remember it BEING a spiritual void. And
> they keep mentioning the spiritual fulfillment in
> the article, forcing me to think WTF?

Agreed!

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 07:26AM

Major Bidamon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This must be a joke...
>
> http://www.allaboutmormons.com/Blog/inactive_membe
> r_church_attending_sunday_ENG_40.php

It is a joke, any comments left that don't reflect well on the Church get removed. Mine was removed within five minutes. Try it and see how long it lasts. The comments that are on there are either all written by one person to give the appearance of a dialogue or are stage managed.
In any case it is disingenuous because it hides what it doesn't like.

Hmmm, just like Mormonism...

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 08:44AM

I call bull$hit on that one.

People who are inactive or out are not clamoring to come back.

Q; Do you long for the sense of community, spirituality, and stability you once knew as a practicing Mormon?

A: NO! How very presumptuous of you to think that I am missing out on a sense of community, spirituality and stability because I'm not a "practicing Mormon". Practicing Mormonism is not the only place one gains a sense of community, spirituality and stability; they just like to claim it is.

What you call community I see as a cult gathering (a sheltered environment where everyone says and believes the same thing and all the core cult beliefs go unchallenged) with a bunch of bobble head dolls, what you call spirituality is a bastardized version of Gods word and what you call stability is just busy work, keeping members chasing their tails Sunday through Sunday with the same routine every day of the week and cult indoctrination programming re-enforced with lessons to prepare, meetings to go to, cult indoctrination programs to run and cult material to read and rehearse to be repeated over and over again.

Date: January 20, 2011 03:44PM

Bobble-heads for sure, bobbing up and down, agreeing with everything churchy. One stake pres., after confirming my EQ presidency, was all bobbling, head up and down. He was so happy to have us, we were such a great team--the bishop wouldn't let me have my first picks of guys to serve with me. I got lightweights and pudding heads. Jackass stake press. He was a smart guy too, dynamic, energetic, but with his head so far up...into church dogma that he came across as a grinning idiot spouting platitudes.

Posted by: saviorjoe ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 08:50AM

Load of crap!! I could only imagine the webmaster in real life being a woman who talked in the characteristic baby-talk voice. It seemed so fake and syrupy. Just like the women in conference.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:12AM

I can't imagine why someone could ever go back and unknow what they now know. It doesn't seem plausible.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 12:15AM

Exactly.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:14AM

I'm sending this:

"Enjoyed your article, sort of. I would be more than happy to come back if I can get every cent of every tithe and offering that I paid, compounded for interest at a rate equivalent to the 30-day rolling Fed Funds rate over the trailing 22 year period. I can't stand the thought of my tithing and offerings having been spent on a non-profit-generating venture."

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Marco Torres ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 02:23PM

What a sad little site. It has all of 15 comments for all of 2010. I guess out of the millions who they want back they got 15...well El Santo Gringo more then once.

Posted by: seutnevermo ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 02:54PM

I'm convinced that most people who leave the LDS Church do so within one year of their baptism. Instant gratification? When I'm in instant gratification mode, I might give something a day or two, maybe a week, but a year? Yeah right!

Date: January 14, 2011 04:09PM

Why the name "El Santo Gringo"? The Mexicans I know use the word gringo as a derogatory reference to white people. Kind of like saying stupid white man. So I guess it's "The stupid white saint"?

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 04:06PM

In tiny font at the BOTTOM of FAIR’s web page.
Not the TOP, the BOTTOM.

"FAIR is not owned, controlled by or affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. All research and opinions provided on this site are the sole responsibility of FAIR, and should not be interpreted as official statements of LDS doctrine, belief or practice."

Get your answers from men with “opinions” that aren’t official cause you see, no one is “allowed” to ask the “officials” any more. How friggin precious!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.