Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 03:40PM

He told me yesterday that he was giving a talk, and that his assigned topic was sacrifice. I know, fun. So I asked what he was going to use for his 5 minute spiel, and he mumbled LDS.org.
Well, I decided to help him out a little. Since I left, my kids, who all have chosen to still attend, go to church with their dad & stepmom. I couldn't go today because I had plans I couldn't cancel, but I'll go to their ward occasionally if one of my kids is doing something, speaking, performing, etc. I don't support TSCC, but I DO support my kids, and we've had a good and open relationship as a result.
Anyway, to avoid having my son slog through 5 minutes of church propaganda on "sacrifice", I shared some lessons on sacrifice by telling my son about my father, the grandfather he never knew, the Catholic one on my side of the family history.
My dad and his sister were raised on a farm; by the time he was my son's age, my father practically did the work of a grown man. He got up early every morning to milk the cows and feed them, and when he got home, there were always more chores and homework to do. My dad loved sports, and in high school, he started playing basketball. He was a natural at it, and he soon got the nickname "Shifty Louie" because of his moves on the court. He was good, and could have been really good perhaps, but there's only one picture in one yearbook that shows him on the basketball team. His first big sacrifice came when he had to choose between being the best player on the team and continuing the winning streak foe he remainder of HS.......or getting up at the crack of dawn ever day and coming home again after school to do the work his ailing father was frequently unable to do. High school came and went, and suddenly, during my dad's senior year, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. My father & his parents had been saving money for him to go to college, and he stayed at home to work on the farm and do odd jobs to add to his college fund. More and more young men were joining the armed forces, and my father was soon faced with his second great decision: take the money He saved and go to school, or serve his country. He decided his country needed him more Han the university, and so he joined the navy and was sent to the Great Lakes Naval Training base north of Chicago. He became a radar technician, and though he never actually saw combat, he was willing to sacrifice not only his education but his life, it came down to it.
Finally, the war was over, and the GI bill came along to help young men like my father get the education they had missed while in service. With an honorable discharge and new possibilities, my father wanted to pursue an advanced degree and began at the University of the Pacific. Sadly, it wasn't to be. In December of 1947, his sister and only sibling died of cancer, a few weeks short of her 22nd birthday. Less than three months later, his father was dead; the years of heavy drinking had taken their toll on his system, and a mild heart attack finished the job. His mother was all alone and prostrate with grief; my father made his final sacrifice, gave up his dreams of the future, and came home to the farm for good. He did get a good job in the area and things did work out for him in many ways, but sacrifice was part of his generation.
These are the kinds of things and people I want my children to know about. This is as just as much their heritage as their dad's Mormon side of the family, and I refused to let my son demean the honor and integrity of true sacrifice by talking about obedience and tithing, scrubbing toilets or doing the temple hokey-pokey. His 5 minutes, and the 5 minutes of hose listening, will be well spent; not one thing hijacked or usurped by cult propaganda; just a simple 5 minute lesson on sacrifice, from the man my son was named for: Joseph Louis.
Thank you dad :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 23, 2011 03:40PM

Ps sorry about the typos, sent this from my iPhone!

Date: January 23, 2011 11:06PM

My return & report: he did indeed talk about grandpa and presented it with sincerity, candour, a touch of humour at the very beginning, and with his own unique flair. I lost track of how many people were congratulating him and were really, REALLY impressed. I was told by someone it was the best youth talk they've ever heard. Yes, it IS a tough situation for me to be in, but as far as I'm concerned, a real family IS forever. I'm taking it one day at a time, and grateful for the love and support of my kids.
I agree that TSCC takes everything and tries to make it about THEM. Wrong: it's about ALL of us. My kids have inevitably been exposed to a lot of that koolaid, but they can and do see the bigger picture. I felt it was really important that that should be shared today, and it worked. Wherever my dad is, I'd like to think he's proud of his grandson and namesake. Meantime, we fight the good fight.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 03:48PM

Sounds like a great lesson, and it's relevant to his own life. You did well! I hope he mentions (several times) that he was from a Catholic family, so they understand that other-than-lds people sacrifice, too.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 05:20PM

Wonderful,Wonderful story. You must be so proud of your dad.
And can you imagine how much more attention would be paid in the Mormon church if there were examples like this used?

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 03:56PM

Those are the kind of people that make me proud to be an American.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 04:00PM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 04:05PM

So he is talking about that? How will you know for sure? The story about your dad was great...thanks for sharing.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 04:24PM

TSCC coopts every goodness, because as the lard’s one and only they have to make themselves the narcissistic source of good, and noble things in the world.

I observe pioneer day remembering my ancestor Bernhard Bohnet, and his family, who along with Martin Vossler, and a Russian officer, led German families from Poland to one of the colonies in Russia. I do not have LD$ ancestry, because my parents were converts, but I do this, because LD$ deify the pioneers, and act like they have the only pioneers on this earth. My ancestors are more important to me. Everyone in the U.S., and in many countries around the world have ancestors who left for a better life elsewhere, and likewise made great sacrifices. For every worn out story they tell I am sure any one of us could find a better example in our own families.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 04:27PM

I felt "the spirit" as I read it. I don't call that happy feeling "the spirit" anymore but you know what I mean. Too bad the mormons think they hold the only rights to that feeling.

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 04:30PM

Real life experiences are always the best. Everyone listens to those.

I remember how different the feeling was when someone spoke about something sincere in comparison to something out of the Ensign or Friend or (oh please help me) something out of the BofM.

Thanks for sharing the story

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 04:54PM

Great story. First I think your situation with kids going to the church with your ex and his wife is about as tough as it can get. Second I think you did a good job of end-running the cult's pabulum from lame lds.org and the Ensign's sentimental, sanitized tales of sacrifice. It's amazing how the cult is more than happy to downplay the sacrifices of our non-Mormon ancestors.

Posted by: snb (logged out) ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 04:51PM

I love how you support your son without feeding into his religion. Way to be!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 04:56PM

the real meaning of sacrifice from a generation that lived it.
It's great you can support your kids and teach them such a meaningful lesson.
That is one people will remember.
Not some quote from some GA.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 06:03PM

What a terrific story...an inspiring, simple story. This really touched me.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: January 23, 2011 06:37PM

Your father sounds like he was a really good example to his family and a guy who put his family before himself.

Did your son say how the talk went? Did he talk about Grandpa?

Date: January 24, 2011 11:05AM

One final postscript to the story. Nobody knew I'd helped my son with his talk, and when I went to pick him up last night he told his dad that he and I worked on it together. When I got home, there was a text from my ex on my iPhone:
"Your dad was an amazing man. I will always love him and Mimi (my mom's nickname)".
That brought me to tears, in a good way. I won't ever let anyone tell my kids that their mother and her side of the family are second-class citizens in any way. And I'm glad I'm not alone in that. For all his TBMness, my ex has always insisted on fairness and respect for others.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.