Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Traitor ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 08:56PM

I am on the verge of getting my wife to realize how bad the church is, but she has this nonmormon friend who is a very nice and open-minded person who keeps telling her not to worry about the history of the church. She says "All religious organizations have had their problems in the past." My wife keeps using that line every time I tell her something else I have learned about the church. She doesn't really like the church and neither do I. We just go to please the family. Any suggestions on what I can say to her when she uses that line?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 08:59PM

But only the Mormon church tries to rewrite their history.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:01PM

between Bill Maher & Carly Fiorena

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKqqGX0DEMM

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:04PM

"But honey, we're not talking about a church, we're talking about TRUTH RESTORED."

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:08PM

That's why I continue to invest with Bernard Madoff, Inc. All investment firms have something bad in their history - so might as well trust Bernie ...

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:12PM

wouldn't it be wise to avoid ALL religions? Look, there's no doubt that all religions have skeletons in their respective closets. How does that justify or validate any of them? Why would Mormonism be any better than the rest if one is as bad as another? If all the apples in the barrel are rotten, which one are you going to eat? If all the cars in the lot are lemons which one do you want to buy and how much are you willing to pay for it? Does that make sense?

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:18PM

Most other religions don't claim to be THE ONE TRUE RELIGION that has a Profit to lead them that speaks directly for God (and God speaks ONLY to their Profit and no other religion.)

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 10:44PM

Posted by: Shane G ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:19PM

Not all churches claim they are led by prophets that speak for God. If they are truly prophets, how have they made such big mistakes?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:58PM

Mormons of full of 'em.

"He left because he was offended."

"They can leave the church but they can't leave it alone."

"Pay your tithes. You need the fire insurance."

"All religions have had their problems in the past."

These are mindless chiches which have no purpose except to shut down thought and honest interaction.

Posted by: mantisdolphin ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 01:36AM

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 10:21PM

I am Christian and have to agree with your wife.... to a point...Many Churches do admit to their un-christian conducts in the past, such as the last Pope apologized to Jews, as have most protestant, the Methodists just apologized to the Cheyenne over the Sand Creek Massacre, etc etc., they still have all a long way to go yet, but as one poster said, the morg either denies or rewrites their history and when you call them on it you're an anti. That's what CULTS do!

Posted by: Just Thinking ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 10:33PM

". . . the Mormon church is no different from, and no better than, any other church. Why shouldn't I then just go to a different church that doesn't take 10% of my income, make me scrub toilets, send me on useless missions, put me endless guilt trips, and make me wear funny underwear?"

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 10:35PM

Just Thinking Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ". . . the Mormon church is no different from, and
> no better than, any other church. Why shouldn't I
> then just go to a different church that doesn't
> take 10% of my income, make me scrub toilets, send
> me on useless missions, put me endless guilt
> trips, and make me wear funny underwear?"

Agreed, but I'd add one thing. Many other churches admit their past faults and are honest about their history. The Morg is not.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:52AM

And agree with what Nina and bona dea said about how other churches acknowledge their mistakes and don't try to hide or re-write their histories. The Mormon church wants to be able to claim to be infallible. That's what doesn't work for me. In other churches, questioning is allowed because people want to get to the truth. In Mormonism, questioning is forbidden because the leaders demand obedience and want to be seen as unquestionable and omnipotent. That's just wrong.

Posted by: jolene ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 10:44PM

The history is not as bad as the cover up in my mind. After being BIC, going to primary, Sunday school, seminary, MTC training, my mission, and the temple, I did not know about the true nature of Joseph Smith, or problems with the BOM, Nephite DNA studies, the book of Abraham problems, etc, etc. It is the dishonesty of nearly all religions that is scary. How can any of them be trusted with our eternal salvation. The history is disturbing, don't get me wrong, but being discouraged to study it or talk about it openly has cult written all over it!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 11:43PM

As some posters have already mentioned, the reason other churches get off the hook is because they don't claim their church is PERFECT. Every Mormon will tell you, Mormons might not be perfect, "but the Church is." If its so perfect, why does it have to keep correcting itself, changing and rewriting its own history?

Other churches don't claim to be the ONE TRUE Church (except maybe the Catholic church). Other churches don't claim to have living prophets LED DIRECTLY FROM GOD. That's why you can't hold other churches to the same standard as the LDS church.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:21AM

Yes every church has a skeleton or two, but the mormon church can be countered on practically every level and at every turn. Its profits do not stand the test of time, their words need to be explained away, their books need to be kept from public view, their policies are almost always changed due to offense or ineffectiveness. New policies for the same issues come around almost as often as their conferences.

While every church has a few failures in its past, the mormon church goes further- its unique scriptures have been altered, fabricated and proven false, and the true history of its foundation is a major stumbling block to the thinking member.

While the mormon church has a full cadre of living prophets seers and revelators, not one single member of the Q12 or the 1st Presidency has any training in theology, but instead have degrees in business, law and communications and their qualifications are by experience, monetary value and family ties.

And in fact, up until recent years, the mormon church even decried the Bible as completely useless and the other christian churches "so-called" as being completely false and led by satan, and in its masonically plagiarized endowment ceremony there was a time that a person representing a Protestant minister was paid by satan for his work. And in that same temple ceremony until 1931 the ceremony also included an oath of vengeance against the United States.

Yes other churches have their dark spots in their history, but the mormon church is truly false in every aspect of its existence except possibly for its tight community, its focus on self reliance and working together, and its ability to hold its membership to its standards.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:18AM

The COJCOLDS has all the truths and keys.

Yes, the church may have had some problems; the church is true even if the people are not.

But the church is still better than others. It's a good way to live.

Yes, other churches are good too.

But other churches also have their problems.

The church is no worse than others.

It's all a matter of faith.

-- Then they forget they had the conversation.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:28AM

"We are no worse than anyone else."

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:46AM

True enough...but the other religions are open about it. Nothing covered up in the crusades...bad Popes etc..they teach it in Cathecism...what you see is what you get.

But tell her, Mormons will rewrite and say...no we don't teach that...don't believe that etc...but they do.

Show her the BOM and the KJ bible...let's see who copied what from whom?

stormy

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:50AM

Oh if only that were true...hell I'd still be married..

stormy

Posted by: mantisdolphin ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 01:48AM

(Note: I also post here as derrida.) The idea that all churches have their skeletons in the closet was something I told myself to talk myself INTO being baptized into the church about ten years ago. I was in my mid-thirties. Please tell your wife's naive nevermo friend that that was the worst mistake of my life, and that I led my wife and kids into it and now they are indoctrinated up to their eyeballs.

When piling on the historical arguments ceases to function, I turn to the various cult checklists online. Please check my blog at http://mantisdolphin.wordpress.com where I re-posted what I think is a good "life from inside Mormonism" piece that I wrote in an effort to convince nevermos that Mormonism deserves careful scrutiny (and to be objectively judged) as a destructive cult.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 01:59AM by mantisdolphin.

Posted by: libby ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 03:02AM

There are lots worse churches than LDS. Scientology for exAmple.

But I think the overriding reason to leave any church is that they are all cults.

No church is better than another. they are all equally ridiculous.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 03:19AM

I thought the Mormons were supposed to be better than the other churches. I guess not.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 07:55AM

"All churches have something bad in their history."

Which is why I suggest we avoid all churches, all together. None have truth. All have significant faults. Let's join the Sierra Club instead. hahaha

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.