Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fmrly ExmoinCO ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 05:19PM

Sounds good on the surface but to me it's another sign of a LDS herd, er, cult mentality.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700103948/BYU-is-Americas-most-popular-school-again.html?s_cid=rss-32

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 05:41PM

There is no correlation between why people who get accepted to BYU actually choose to go and why people who get accepted to other universities choose to do so. They should add into the statistics how many other universities students at each school actually applied to.

What part of the word Cult are people missing here?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 06:00PM

A BS Warning ought to mandatory on stories like this...

Bullchip in the Cabbie vernacular; i use that one as a honk-of-my-horn to newbies who might find "bullshit" offensive...

As for this article, well...

Bullshit.

Nice analysis, NR...

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 05:52PM

It just means that TOP CULTISTS want to attend the TOP CULTIST university slightly more than TOP SCHOLARS want to attend the TOP SCHOLARLY university.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:23PM

Let's see, 75% of the cultists accepted into CultU go to CultU.

But 100% of children born to a black couple will grow up black.

Clearly black is more popular than CultU.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 06:02PM

...and Jo Smith was a true profit, the BOM is true, and Tommy speaks to God in the SL Temple everyday.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 06:08PM

applied there, and then at local state colleges in their own states. People can't afford out of state tuition unless it is subsidized by the cult.

Another possibility is that BYU is unique. Not much competition out there for Mormon colleges(they only stated BYU and NOT the different campuses). If a person is accepted at Harvard they probably also applied to other Ivy League or comparable academic school.

Harvard and BYU are not ANYWHERE near the same league of school. They don't compete. I LOVE where I go to school but I am no where near deluded to believe that SDSU can ever say anything about Harvard. Silly Mormons!!!

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 06:12PM

Steven - not only does Tommy speak with Jeebus every day, they have a standing lunch appointment on Tuesdays. You know, catch up on the news, how are the kids, etc.

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 06:24PM

When I was a boy I wanted to attend the Air Force Academy. Not making it past webelo and my gradrs made that impossible. About the time I realized that I was around 14 or 15. School bored me except for history and drama and football(soccer) and our school didnt even have a team. Anyways I was reading SI there was a ball player. He got accepted at the Academy and BYU. He chose BYU lol. Made me mad

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 08:13PM

I graduated from
BYU.........If I had the choice to have gone to Harvard instead of BYU I would have had good jobs, a real education that means something. All I have is a cult degree that most employers have laughed at. The article is BS:

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 08:17PM

Deseret "News" does a story about BYU being the most popular school in America ... That's not news, it's propaganda.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 10:50PM

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 25, 2011 09:47PM

Posted by: artvandalay ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 12:35AM

Wouldn't it be better to find out total number of applicants sent to each school? I feel that would truly show popularity. But what do I know, I am just a BYU grad.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 09:59AM

What's really important is they are at the top of the RPI rankings ...

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:04AM

Ahead of the diesel repair school that advertises in match book covers IMHO.

Posted by: jf ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:30AM

The statistics are fine. The reality behind them are easily understood. People who apply to Harvard are also applying to other highly acclaimed academic schools. People applying to BYU are wanting the religious experience. And there are no competing schools for that.

Example: 10 people apply to 5 academic schools - Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton and Wisconsin (sorry guys, had to throw my school into it). Those 10 get accepted to all 5 schools. Two of them go to each school. Each school therefore has a 20% rate.

Example: 10 people apply to BYU, Utah, BSU, Utah Valley, UNLV. All get accepted to all schools. Nine of them will go to BYU, because it offers the religious experience the other schools don't. BYU gets a 90% rate.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:47AM

BYU is the most popular school, but only among mormons.

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: January 26, 2011 11:47AM

Less than an hour ago I was driving home and listening to the radio. They mentioned this survey and said what the most popular school in the US was, based on the percentage of accepted kids who actually enroll. I thought that was a rather strange way to determine which school is most popular.

But the reason I'm posting this is -

They did NOT say it was BYU.

They didn't mention BYU. They said it was the US Naval Academy. The percentage of accepted students who enroll was (I think) 85%. They said the next runner-up was the US Military Academy at West Point. At the time I thought that the reason would be that people who apply to the military academies REALLY want to go there, so it makes sense that a higher percentage would enroll if accepted. Same is true with BYU, I would imagine.

But why don't they determine popularity by asking which college received the most applications? Perhaps because a school that is considered "easier" to get into, gets zillions of apps from kids who need a "safe school" even though they hope they don't have to actually go there.

EDIT- I just googled this story to see what the deal was, the story that I heard on the radio (and was picked up by the Baltimore Sun) was for the most popular LIBERAL ARTS school. The Sun article went on to say that BYU got the highest for "national universities, which are research-oriented institutions that offer a variety of degrees."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2011 11:54AM by duffy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.