Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 10:48PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deseret_Territory

I love how brigham young tried to get so much land for the cult. Yet he didn't even get of it. And how it shrunk even more. And my favorite is how it didn't get to be called deseret. I hate that word.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 10:54PM

the song In Our Lovely Deseret starts running through my head. Especially the part that goes "there's a multitude of children all around."

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 28, 2011 11:27PM

No country formally recognized the state of Deseret. I think the Mexicans and the British would frown on Brigham's land grab.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 01:28PM

"After the establishment of the Utah Territory, the Latter-day Saints did not relinquish the idea of a "State of Deseret". From 1862 to 1870, a group of Mormon elders under Young's leadership met as a shadow government after each session of the territorial legislature to ratify the new laws under the name of the "state of Deseret." Attempts were made in 1856, 1862, and 1872 to write a new state constitution under that name based on the new boundaries of the Utah Territory."

==================================================

Utah STILL has a shadow government.

Legislators STILL meet with the mormon church to get approvals for any legislation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.