Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 09:51PM

I have the impression that many LDS think that being 'sealed' means that their family unit will be together in the next life as it is now. Even according to LDS doctrine, the very best that can be hoped for is each family member being with his/her partner and within reach (contact) of each other family member who will be with her/his partner etc. Don't think many have thought it through. What's your impression ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 10:42PM

Absolutely have not thought about it. It's really a half baked idea. How many generations back will live together as family? Do all the kids,grands,greatgrands etc. all live together? Who is the boss? What about all the family members that are apostates or "unworthy" for the CK? Will the worthy ones come visit us in the telestial? I sure hope so.....

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 10:44PM

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 12:04AM

They get their own spaceships to visit their families planets. What happens when your brothers Kolob goes nova? Does he and his space harem get burnt to a crisp?

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 12:14AM

The doctrine clearly states that members of higher kingdoms can visit members of lower kingdoms. No matter how you arrange it, the same thing happens. You can always see your entire family.

Assume the entire family is at level three (Telestial). You can all see each other.

Assume there are some at level two (Terrestrial) and some at level three (Telestial). Level two can come down to level three. You can all see each other.

Assume some are at level one (Celestial) and some are at level two (Terrestrial). Level one can come down to level two or three. You can all see each other.

Assume some are at level one (Celestial), some are at two (Terrestrial), and some are at three (Telestial). You can all see each other. Just meet at level three.

Only outer darkness is excluded, and to do that you have to actually see Christ face-to-face and deny him. Ok...if I actually see Christ face-to-face I'm going to 100% change my opinion and admit I was wrong. To date, I have not seen Christ.

So no matter how you look at it the entire family can be with each other no matter what. So by its own doctrine everyone will have that anyway.

That leaves only one objective: to become a God and bang hundreds of spirit polygamy wives. It really gives you an insight to what Joe was really thinking.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 09:50AM

These different levels Mormons have is ridiculous. Would a loving God do this to family members? Did Jesus preach on this that all must strive to attain this so called highest level? Again, Mormonism is a fairytale.

Posted by: jeffnlb ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 12:47AM

Even if it were true, I seriously doubt I'd want to spend eternity with half of 'em.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 09:44AM

...because it makes no sense whatsoever.

Where is heaven?
Do people in heaven have physical bodies?
What do they eat and drink?
How did they get the body in heaven?
How do people get from a grave on earth to heaven?
Who controls heaven?
etc., etc., etc.

No explanation of impossible magic is possible.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 09:48AM

Absolutely, they have not thought this through. So when you marry do you stay with your birth family at death or with your spouse's birth family (parents, siblings, etc.) It is all so ridiculous. And when a divorce occurs it is absurd to think a man with a new wife and 6 new kids can have the first two kids without their mom. Mormonism is so bizarre.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 01:00PM

This was definately one of the first things I really thought out as a child and decided it couldn't really work. Seeing friends with step-parents and the like just made it all crazier...

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 01:22PM

I always wondered about this . . . my sisters kids were sealed to her and her DH. But then her daughter married in the Temple and was sealed to her hubby. So who does the daughter live with in the CK? Parents or Hubby--who is BIC--so who does he live with? and on and on and on . . .

Posted by: Mr. Dufayel ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 01:40PM

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 01:47PM

Let's say you are sealed to your spouse. Ok, so you are still sealed to your parents and brothers/sisters. Lets say you live with all of them, then who do they live with? Your wife would have to be living with your in-laws, who were living with their spouses and their own in-laws. Your brothers and sisters would have to live with their spouses and then living with the in-laws. Your parents would have to be living with their brothers/sisters and their parents.

It's a never ending cycle. Pretty soon everyone is living with everyone. So why does anyone need to be sealed?

This is LDS inc.'s big selling point...yet it makes absolutely no sense.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 01:51PM

All of Star Trek's shape-shifting character Odo's race (called The Founders) goes back and joins with others of their's race in a giant lake of gelatinous ooze--it seems to be the perfect way for all those generations and intermarried families to be together! :-)

Not sure how the whole Rule Your Own Planet thing would be handled, though......

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 02:08PM

I've read that the particular afterlife stylings of mormonism is probably based on Joseph's favorite brother dying at an early age, plus it's an appealing way to sell the religion to 19th century families, whose members often died in untimely manners (occasionally starving on handcart treks for example).

In the 21st century? I dunno, the logic, as has been pointed out, of having to travel several light years for your brother-in-laws BBQ over on his planet doesn't really seem to work in the Forever department, but of course the apologists will point out that God will make it all work, as His Ways Are Not our Ways (also illogical, as TSCC is supposed to be God's True Church, so wouldn't he tell us His Ways?)

Based on Familes Forever, or Fear of the Future? It's just another variation on the catagory of "Do what we want you to do now, even if it sucks, and you'll be rewarded in the afterlife--otherwise, you lose your family forever."

Rant over.

Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 01:59PM

Just one nuclear polygamous family with one father, let's say 5 wives, 30 children would have direct secondary family relationships with 25 sister moms and 150 siblings, on average. But it shouldn't stop with the secondary because every family has a secondary family and it would be unfair to subdivide.

We all know from D&C 132 that polygamy is the plan for celestial marriage and women who aren't sealed in this life will be sealed to worthy priesthood holders and their penises in the CK where they will have sex and bear children forever. So this will go on.

My question is how do they divide these families onto planets? Seems like they would have to go waaaay back in time and divide huge populations of celestial beings into tribes that would be placed on a manageable number of orbs and overseen by a heavenly father and mother who have one hell of an organizational base.

So that takes care of the CK. Then there are the teelestial and teerestrial kingdoms. Who manages visitation? Do Ceelestial spirits take turns guarding the gates? What's the transport system between all these kingdoms and planets?

The logistics confound. It's all kind of quaint when you consider it in context of a thousand or so people. But to say it's going to be everyone AND the marriages will be polygamous? Awfully crowded. Glad I'm not going to be there!

Posted by: blacklisted ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 03:42PM

"sealed to worthy priesthood holders and their penises...." That was too damn funny!
I've always wondered how these "perfect" "tangible" ressurected bodies will pump out spiritual children. If you take two tangile beings, and they fuck like champs, why don't they produce a "tangible" baby????

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.