Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: January 05, 2011 11:50PM

I ask that question in terms of what others think the church's stand point is when it comes to temple ordinances, also how difficult is it for someone, in or out of the church to leave that "secret" lifestyle? Are you still living a secret? Or do you feel safe being more transparent after being free from the church?

I don't care either way. I have nothing to be secret about here, cuz I know they can't control my life or do anything to me they already have attempted to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: openeyes ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 03:15AM

In my opinion, as part of the unwritten rules, TSCC informally sets up certain caste systems. Some are more exclusionary than others. Those at the top are considered elite. So the more you pray, pay and obey the more you are considered an upperclassman. All this is under the guise of their "image" and how they define their mission to the public. The more you conform, the more insider information will be revealed to you. Keeping secrets burden people so rarely will I agree to keep a secret. On those rare occasions, as far as keeping a secret is concerned, I will do so only as long as I don't have any knowledge of harm coming to any person, that which goes against my morale compass, or that which causes me a burden. Furthermore, as far as business, religious or personal, I will keep secrets which are necessary for a civilized society to operate under. Otherwise, I will not agree to keep any secrets.

By the way, I enjoyed watching your skateboard videos on Youtube.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 03:32AM by openeyes.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 10:00AM

The temple ordinances aren't secret (just ask google) or sacred (they are a rip-off of the Masonic temple).

They are embarassing. That's why mormons won't talk about them.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 10:03AM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 09:40PM

You would covenant to allow your throat to be slit, to be disemboweled, and to allow your heart to be cut out for revealing the tokens of the priesthood. They used a phrase something like "not violating the 'secrecy' of the token." (I'm not going to go look it up for the exact wording. You can look it up if you want.) So, yeah... It's always been about secrecy. "Sacredness" is sort of Jonnie-come-lately, and is merely an excuse.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 09:58PM

The secret of masonry is to keep a secret.

-Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Vol. 6, Ch. 59

The difference between secret and sacred:
It is sacred to those who attend the temple, but secret from those who do not.

What does bother me is that the church has always thrived in the darkness of secrecy. Secret bank dealings in Kirtland, secret liasons with politics, criminals, secret practices involving murder, funding, and anyother thing that furthers their work.

Probably very mormon alive has heard a fellow mormon say at some time in their life that there are some things that we mustn't talk about, or that there are somethings that God would rather us not say, or that some things are best kept quiet.

And that is one of the great things that Mormons are prized for- their ability to keep a secret. Any secret. Secret keeping seems to be almost as important and attending the temple.

In Nauvoo, there were two churches- the public church that denied and decried polygamy and masonic influence, and the secret church that was doing those very things.

And like Joseph said The secret of masonry is to keep a secret.
The temple teaches us how to keep a secret.
Joe Sr was a Mason, Hyrum was a Mason, and Joseph became a Mason and then instituted the temple ceremony based directly on Masonry.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 10:04PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 10:05PM by maria.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.