Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: James ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:10PM

Several days ago, I posted a question about the effectiveness of my e-mail resignation. Well it turns out to have worked quite well. I sent in my e-mail January 26, received a snail-mail letter on January 28 (dated January 27) that it had been received and would be forwarded to the local "ecclesiastical authorities." Mr. Dodge also stated that the stake chieftain would direct the ward chieftain (I refuse to use the "president" and "bishop" titles) to contact me about my request.

I promptly e-mailed him back and reminded him that I had made it very clear that I wanted no contact about this issue and that "Messrs. Burton and Grover" should be instructed that their only contact with me would be a letter confirming that all paperwork had been done. I got the standard pamphlet and invitation to consider the "eternal consequences" of my actions. I replied that I firmly believed there are none.

One other note, I worked this all out so that my e-mail went in 25 years to the day from my baptism. Sometime I will tell everyone about my 25 years. Been an interesting ride.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:18PM

Looking forward to hearing about your 25-year "ride" when you're ready to write about it.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:20PM

So that means if one WANTS contact so that they can shove it the face of an actual person, even if they've never been to church, you can just say, okay to the contact.

Could be fun.

Posted by: BYUAlumnuts ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:32PM

That's a great point. Perhaps more people should put in their resignation letters, "Please contact me! I can't wait to spread the things I've found out about this cult. I will zealously try to de-convert anyone who contacts me with factual documented information. Hopefully from my effort, you will receive even more resignation letters. And don't hesitate to send missionaries by once my resignation is complete. I would enjoy giving them information too."

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 05:04PM

Damn... Makes me want to get rebaptised so I can do that!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 11:00PM

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:00PM

-->Mr. Dodge also stated that the stake chieftain would direct the ward chieftain (I refuse to use the "president" and "bishop" titles) to contact me about my request.

The word you are searching for is "functionary": even "chieftain" is too laudatory ...

Posted by: James ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 01:59PM

Agreed. I will use that from now on. I just hope that my correspondence with the church is now over. Thanks!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 02:33PM

Sorry you had to follow up with a reminder but that seems to be pretty standard.

Congratulations.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.