Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 10:26AM

Joseph Smith's manuscripts tell us what the angel Moroni said.

http://beta.josephsmithpapers.org/thepapers

It is in the Journal for 1835-1836 on page 25.

(Here is a direct link but I can't get it to work in the post: http://beta.josephsmithpapers.org/paperSummary/journal-1835–1836#25)

"he [Moroni] said the Indians were the literal descendants of Abraham"

The Doctrine and Covenants explains what literal descendant means, it means from father to son:

D&C 107:40 The order of this priesthood was confirmed to be handed down from father to son, and rightly belongs to the literal descendants of the chosen seed, to whom the promises were made.

DNA research has never found a direct paternal or maternal connection in America's indigenous people tying them back to the old world during Biblical times.

So here is what FAIR says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlvbbZASUdA&rel=0
Go to 3:09

They argue that all of the family relations in between the direct lines of father or mother could still be proof. But that is not what Moroni and Joseph Smith said. If you can't believe an angel, how can you believe FAIR?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 10, 2011 02:59PM

I just saw at another online comment, an LDS claiming that DNA can disappear. They will never get it will they? "Literal descendants of Abraham".

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:06PM

It's not the Apologists fault that what Moroni said was incorrect. He was just talking with the knowledge he had at that time.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:10PM

Maybe he was just "speaking as a man" when he said that...

Date: February 10, 2011 03:15PM

I like these comments. It gets even better. Jesus was speaking only as a man!

D&C 57
1 HEARKEN, O ye elders of my church, saith the Lord your God...

4 Wherefore, it is wisdom that the land should be purchased by the saints, and also every tract lying westward, even unto the line running directly between Jew and Gentile...

The "Lord your God" said that the lands west of Missouri (Indian country) was the Jews. But he was speaking only as a man with the knowledge of the time!

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:21PM

One Moap told me:

It's spiritual DNA. Literally. Cause that's all that matters to God. He goes around modifying DNA all the time when he curses a people. Or he changes the blood of an adopted member to be literal. That's not the physical, mortal body. It's the spiritual body. Scientists can't read that yet.

Another Moap told me:
When in the official canon, Moroni is quoted as saying "Continent" he also didn't mean the whole continent. He meant a small 100km-square limited region.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:24PM

Also, if continent doesn't mean continent, shouldn't the apologists put out a dictionary of the terms we all get wrong?

Sigh.

Oh, as an adoptee, the changing of blood of an adoptee stuff PISSES ME OFF. I don't have any medical history, but since my blood changes to theirs, I might as well use their blood if I ever need a transfusion.

*I'm giving the finger west, towards Utah.*

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 04:13PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:47PM

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 04:32PM

Thanks JOD3:360. How about the disappearing DNA theory? Imagine someone being accused of murder. The DNA does not match at all. But the prosecutor argues "DNA can disappear, you are still the prime suspect".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 04:33PM by Hoggle.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:30PM

No need to register but do please pick a name and be consistent with it.

Posted by: Hoggle ( )
Date: February 10, 2011 03:43PM

Susan I/S, can I use Hoggle from the movie Labyrinth?

I always liked the scene where Sarah held the little fairy and then said: "Ouch! It bit me!"

Hoggle replied: "What'd you expect fairies to do?"

Kind of been my experience with apologists.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.