Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 08:56AM

Does anyone have advice?

I will be talking to my doctors too. I looked at a few web sites, and it seems certain weights are to be avoided depending on which disc is injured.

I have been more sedentary than usual for a few years, and still have mild nerve damage that surfaces occasionally.

I lost some muscle tone, and strength, that I want back, but do not want more disc problems. Lifting weights is what I would normally do, and then revert to walking, gardening, and cycling. I miss these, and have issues with dizziness, electrolyte imbalances, partial seizures, sufficient caloric intake, meds that put me off balance, etc. that have made me more wary of doing some things.

My main problem this last year has been PTSD, which has made going out to exercise difficult, although I am walking again on errands. I know there are certain places I can go where the stalker, and other crazy people I know, will probably not be. The panic seems to be subsiding, so I want to go out!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 09:26AM

Had the same exact problem. I hit the pool. Put on some of those "pool booties" and power walk the lane on the shallow side. Worked wonders for me.

Ron

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 09:37AM

Swimming is the ultimate low-impact exercise. I would ask your MD about swimming and/or water exercises. My mom used to do the latter (wearing pool shoes) even when she was elderly and fragile. Check with your local community pool to see if there are classes available.

I used to do ballet exercises at my community pool using the side of the pool as my rail. The water provides some support (and resistance) as you bend, lift, extend, and stretch.

Date: February 13, 2011 11:39AM

My partial seizures alone are enough to keep me away, but I am also sensitive to chemicals, so I would stay away to avoid the chlorine, etc.

This is great advice though.

Posted by: xr ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 10:13AM

a few years ago (5yrs?) i did a disc in my lower back and was unable to walk for a couple days after it. pain for a long time and scared to test it by exercise for even longer.

now i can do pretty much all gym exercises again, even the same exercise i hurt myself on, with heavier weight than i ever did before. so i think you'll be right if you ease yourself back into it and focus on gently strengthening the core muscles around the area of the damaged disc. carefully practice perfect technique with everything you do.

i was 23 at the time though, and i'm not sure how old you are and if this will make a difference to the recovery process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2011 10:23AM by crossroads.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 11:11AM

I have 3 herniated discs (L2, L3 and one in the S region).

I do yoga at home with various DVDs and also have found some streaming on NetFlix that are specifically for back strength. You will built muscle mass and strength in your core really quickly with a little bit of yoga or pilates.

For years I was wary about reaching too far to pick something up, or worried about anything heavier than 5 pounds or so. These days I'm good as long as I lift properly. Why, just yesterday, DH and I were hauling and hanging 12' pieces of dryw all on our ceiling and I could heft with the best of 'em.

Good luck, though. Back trouble sucks!!

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 11:43AM

Yoga and walking, walking's the best. Have 2 failed discs, take a walking stick with you for security, you can whack people on the head and also use it for balance and it takes the pressure off if you use it right.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 11:44AM

Try a rehab. I love the pool, and and 90 year old ladies in bikinis. Those ladies get it done.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 12:58PM

I herniated my L5 when I was helping my carpet layer move our piano about 10 years ago. I almost opted for surgery, but a 90 year old doctor that I work with talked me out of it. If you are experiencing radiculopathy (radiating symptoms down the back of your buttocks, hamstring, calf, ankle, etc) - that is an indication that your sciatic nerve (or another nerve root) is being irritated. You don't want it going on to long because of potential permenant neurological injury to the nerve which could result in permenant conditions like "drop foot." However, if radiculopahty is mild and minimal in the short run, know that this injury will heal on its own. An anti-inflammatory regimen is a must because this will minimize swelling around the injury; hence reduce irratation. It takes about 6 months for this injury to heal. The material inside the disc (annulus) is the consistency of tooth paste, and when it ruptures, it basically squirts out throught the side and puts pressure on the exiting nerve root. Healing occurs through the process of "absorption" of the disc material into the surrounding tissue. I gave myslef time, I avoid lifting or carrying over 10 pounds. I kept my back straight at all times - no bending, and I found walking was the best. I ruptured it again about 10 years later, but it was mild and only took two months to hea. Good luck.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, the above is just my opinion based on my own experience. You should follow the advice of your medical professional always.

Date: February 13, 2011 01:01PM

body builder, and I was a power lifter for YBU back in the mid 80's. I had to stop all weight lifting for 6 months. It sucked, but at least my back healed. I was able to go back into weight lifting after it healed, but I realized that I wasn't invinciable any more. Hey, your getting old dude. Happens to all of us.

Date: February 13, 2011 01:28PM

I was told I needed surgery, but finally got them to admit there was barely anything on the MRI. I was not in a situation where I could have surgery anyhow. I do have symptoms in my calf, and foot once in a while, and one foot can be slightly weaker than the other. I don’t think I needed surgery. I think inflammation contributed to the problem, because I had eaten gluten accidentally on several occasions in the weeks before. I get severe back pain from that.

You were probably in better condition to return to weightlifting so quickly. That is why I wonder if I should try them at all. I didn’t lift weights regularly, but liked to once in a while. Originally I did it to gain upper body strength, and muscle mass, because cycling was my main form of exercise, and I had no strength in my arms. Also, I am vain, and do not want flab, but I did not lift them a lot, because I don’t want to look like a dude. I like to look girly, because I am girly!

Date: February 13, 2011 02:15PM

I was told by my consulting back surgeon that I needed surgery too, but then again, he may have been a little biased, if you know what I mean. From his perspective, 5K vs 0? Catch my drift. My inflammation was strictly controlled by over the counter Ibupropen. I stayed on a consistent regimen for some weeks. It really doesn't matter how big the herniation (HNP) is, even a bulging of the disc can cause problems. It's where the herniation is, or how much the bulging or herniation is irritating the outgoing nerve root. Even a small HNP can be harmful to the nerve root. Once you have nerve damage to the outgoing root, it's permenant. That's why you must be careful to monitor weakness and radiating symptoms. You don't want that to go on to long. Just be very careful. "Drop foot" is what you don't want.

Lifting weights at a very low level to strengthen target areas is probably okay, but you would want to do so sitting down. Most guys like the building or "bulking" and that's done by lower reps and heavy lifting. Most "Girls" like yourself like the toning or defining, and that's done by light weights and more reps. This results definition and toning, without increasing size too much.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 02:25PM

But I'm all good now. One time it was so bad that I couldn't stand to brush my teeth. I did chiropractic, but gave up on that. The thing that I strongly recommend is a registered massage therapist. Also soaking in hot baths.

I personally believe that it is good to move your body to get things moving and stretched and getting blood to the area. My business is very physical, and I golf a lot, so that keeps me moving.

Posted by: mich ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 03:13PM

Hi, In response to your sciatica. I'm so sorry to hear this and I sympathize. I went through excrutiating sciatica for 8 miserable, agonizing months, tried everything from excersizes to chiropractic, to pain killers to hanging myself upside down by the hurt leg with a rope and a boot on- from the stair bannister in my home (to pull it out)- nothing worked actually it aggravated it and everything made it worse. The pain was so constant that I lost my mind twice during that 8 month period. Then something happened- I took turns taking gobs of tylenol, motrin- you name it, even though these pills took a tiny bit of the edge off the pain-- still nothing worked until.. I ran to the store to get more motrin and was limping, furious and practically in tears I talked to the local clerk about what was going on and he said he'd run home to get me straight IBuprophen instead of motrin. I said no it doesn't work. He said, you have to take 2 every 4 hours like clock work and don't miss one, then in about 4 to 5 days you will be ok. I didn't believe him but I was desperate enough to try anything short of suicide. He ran home, brought back a costco size bottle of IB, I took two in less than 1 minute of him handing me the bottle. Sure enough- 4 days later the pain started to subside, I continued taking 2 OTC -IB every 4 hours until the pain was GONE and then I started spacing out the doses to 5, 6, then every 8 hours until I didn't need them any more. When I was in pain for so long I didn't remember what it was like not to have sciatica, I couldn't fathom not being in pain. I still can't believe I'm cured. It's been about a year now... no pain.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 04:20PM

Do you recall the dosage per tablet? Thanks

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 13, 2011 04:48PM

Was it IB 800's??? I too have bulging discs due to a car accident. I take those often but not every four hrs. On days I am hurting a lot I am going to do it that way. Thanks for the advice. Good luck to the OP. Back problems stink. It is getting warmer here now and I will be back at my walking in the park. It seems to help and I agree movement is essential.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.