Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: carrietchr ( )
Date: February 14, 2011 10:50PM

I am a nevermo that grew-up going to church with my TBM best friend and her family. I never joined - always thought I had committment issues! LOL! Glad I didn't show for my baptism date!

When I was pregnant with my first child I was thinking more about how to raise him properly, if I had made good decisions so far, etc. I remember really thinking about why had I never joined the church. I still thought it was 'true', but just not something for me.

One day at work I had some down time and googled Mormon. This site was one of the links. I remember thinking that I couldn't believe there were people who didn't believe it. I knew about inactive people, but never knew that there were people who thought it was all a farce.

I was addicted to the site daily for at least two years. It has been an interesting process to go through...Loss of the belief in Mormonism and then loss of belief in all churches.

So glad I found this site as it has really improved my critical thinking skills. I ask more questions now on many topics and don't just believe something that someone tells me.

THANKS RfM!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: carrietchr ( )
Date: February 14, 2011 10:50PM

Posted by: Lilith's Daughter ( )
Date: February 14, 2011 10:52PM

I googled "lying for the lord".

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 09:21AM

I found it on (the site that RfM forbids mentioning in our posts), then linked it to RfM. I was fascinated by RfM, lurked for a year or more, then sat down in December 2007 and penned out my exit letter--not the one to Dodge & Co., but the one to DW and bishop and family. Sent in resignation in Jan 2009, and was a confirmed non-member the same month.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: February 14, 2011 10:57PM

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 09:49AM

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: February 14, 2011 11:00PM

and I did partake.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 14, 2011 11:02PM

Or possibly it was in my days as an unbaptized infidel because I might've used Yahoo!

It was a long time ago, back in the last century... I wanted to know more about the Mountain Meadows Massacre...

Now people come to me with their questions on that subject...

The people here are the friends I never had growing up on the fringes of the LDS Church in Salt Lake City...

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 10:47AM

RFM has been everything a wonderful teacher should be: plant a seed and let the student start exploring.

Many issues that are raised here have caused me to go seeking answer from the Google God.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: February 14, 2011 11:04PM

I learned about this from New Order Mormon

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 12:38AM

It was a couple week to a month process before I finally registered. It started with a Yahoo! Answers question I posted. I've always felt passionately about NOT being an average housewife. And all around me, all of the mormon wives, that's all I saw. I was a bit confused. Surely the world doesn't expect all women to be like this, wasn't it what the fight for equal rights for women was all about? So I posted a Yahoo! Answers question, asking if it was possible that their were men out there who don't expect their wife to do everything around the house. I got very pleasant responses. My favorite was from a man himself, saying he splits fairly with his wife and they work on the schedule with each other. Now, I hadn't exactly related it to the LDS church by then. After a few days after I got my answer from Yahoo!, I started to think deeper. I was simply looking for working MORMON female wives. It was probably a week of searching like this. Every different phrase possible. I came across Feminist Mormon Housewives. My parents saw I looked at the page. I told them it wasn't anti-Mormon, because that's what I believed. Still not so sure if it is or not? Then I decided to search some more. Carefully though, I didn't want to be accused of reading anti-Mormon stuff again, since it was treated almost like I was convicting a crime. Then I came across posts on the old board, I saw stuff about working women being inferior in this church. And I think I still tried to search for anything about working women in the church who were HAPPY. No such luck. And then I started to look at some more old posts on RFM. And by the time I read "Mothers who know" I was mentally out. I registered onto this board, and went on and on about how mad, and sad, and betrayed I felt. Foolish me posted this on a separate computer other than my own, so it was discovered what I posted. Before I got the lecture and book of Mormon bashing over my head of a lifetime, I told them I acted on feelings, it was stupid, and the post was quickly taken down. I asked my father about men being able to be sealed to multiple women, he himself said he couldn't understand it, and something along the lines of it being essential to the CK. I couldn't comprehend it, how could such a smart man, give me these incredulous answers?

And so it begun.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 12:54AM

As a nevermo, I couldn't get a handle on the weird way all these Mormons I'd recently met were acting. Grew up in the east, didn't know much about Mormonism. Stuff was not adding up, and it wasn't hard to tell they were doing a poor job of trying to snow me, so I went a-Googling, and came across RFM. Boy, did I get answers! I still find out more all the time, what I call news of the Mormon weird, and I still visit here because it's so darned entertaining and the people here are fun and fascinating.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 04:52AM

Nevermo here, too, with an atheist's curiosity about religions - what do people believe and HOW can they believe it?

I used to hang out at the Ex/anti-scientology site xenu.org and one of the posters was an ex--Mormon who mentioned RfM as a site which had helped him out. My ignorance of Mormonism prompted me to come and have a look. That was 3 or 4 years ago...

I just wanted to echo what Serena said: the atmosphere and people at RfM are exceptional and I learn things every day (and not just about LDS).

Thanks to all of you!

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 09:53AM

serena Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a nevermo, I couldn't get a handle on the weird
> way all these Mormons I'd recently met were
> acting. Grew up in the east, didn't know much
> about Mormonism. Stuff was not adding up, and it
> wasn't hard to tell they were doing a poor job of
> trying to snow me,

Same here. By now I was married to the Jackmo hubs and we had a daughter. We would attend services and church events with the TBM family. None of the women worked unless they were unmarried or childless, in which case the plan was to stop working when the bundle of joy arrived (or quit school as the case may be). I kept bringing this up the hubs, particularly around my daughter and her future choices. Great if she wants to be a SAHM, but what if she doesn't and an education is vital. There are no gaurantees in life. He would insist that Mormon women were encouraged to have educations and jobs and their only role was not just that of being wife and mother.

Things were not adding up. What I was told and what I was observing were two very different things.

I went to the internet. I was specifically searching for women's roles in the Mormon church or anyone had anything to say or observations the same as mine. I got way more than I bargained for...holy cow!

And that's what it is. Mormons always say to go to the source - you should talk to Mormons about Mormonism, which is fine, but when you can't get a straight answer and things aren't quite meshing, you hit the interwebs for the real dope. Enter RfM.

Posted by: candm ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 02:10AM

visited some old friends - he loaned us Gary Palmer's book (his wife wanted it out of the house!) - that made me think of Sunstone's Borderlanders, which led me to MormonThink, which led me all sorts of places, including RFM.

I've been surprised at how many Internet forums there are for disenfranchised LDS. Very, very, very happily surprised. Wonderful, fair, logical sites full of mentally healthy, intelligent people!

My goal is to read enough to counteract at least the last few years of stupefying Sunday meetings.

THANKS to all of you!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 03:53AM

It was mentioned at Mormons HMC (Have My Child)....so I popped in and liked it and learn every day. It is very sad for us when the cult sucks in our children.

Posted by: European View ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 04:00AM

Believe it or not I followed links from lds.org and it brought me here. It was when they had the PBS special that they were so proud of.

Within minutes I discovered I wasn't the only one with doubts about so many things - women's position in the church, church's lack of help towards others, Elias, not able to get anything out of reading BoM, many, many more. This site was decisive in getting me, and then eleven family members out!

Thank-you lds.org. Hahahahahaha.

Posted by: apikoros ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 04:41AM

The site was actually suggested to me out of the clear blue sky one day, by a Protestant friend. He said, "You really ought to take a look at 'Recovery from Mormonism,' it might be a big help to you." I did, and it was!

Posted by: sonflower ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 05:03AM

I found this site when I was curious about Mormonism as a neighbor's friend was dating a Mormon and his mother was concerned about him joining, so I decided to do my own research. I googled Mormonism, found this site and have been reading almost daily ever since. The best value in reading this site for me is that now that I know a lot about this religion, I will be prepared for the next mishies that knock on my door. I'm actually looking forward to that! I find it very enlightening, and I learn alot about other topics too. I'm very glad this site has helped many to leave this cult and I have recommended it to several friends. (Happy Christian nevermo.)

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 09:48AM

My mom was on a "bring the lost sheep back to the fold" kick, and had given my phone number to my local bishop. I was trying to sell my house at the time, so I answered the bishop's call thinking it was a realtor wanting to schedule a showing. I told him no contact and hung up. He tried for days, and then finally left me a voicemail that said if I wanted to be a member of the church, I needed to answer his call. If I no longer wanted the church to be part of my life, I should resign and he would expedite it.

Wait, I could resign? I never thought of that!

So I Googled "resigning from mormon church" and this site popped up. I read. And I read. And I read. All night. Didn't sleep. I never questioned whether or not the church was true, I always assumed it was but didn't want it to be part of my life (I didn't think I was sinning by wearing shorts or tank tops, sorry!) Suddenly I knew. I wrote my Dodge letter a month later, and got my "out" letter the day before I got married.

Thanks RFM, you've saved me from years of strange men showing up at my door assuming I'm going to let them in!

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 09:56AM

My husband found it first and would read it during sacrament meeting. I would get home from church and read it for hours every Sunday afternoon.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 10:18AM

A friend told me about it. He also had got out years ago and we often talked about our lives in the mormons. I had done a lot of reading and studied but always felt distanced like I was the only one. This site helprd me understand a lot about the whys and reasons. Been great.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 10:23AM

Google. AS a nevermo living in Utah, I've always been interested in TSCC. Know thy enemy, as they say (TSCC, not the people).

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 10:27AM

I found the board.
And read for weeks............then posted.

DH never posted here but he's here in spirit (passed Dec 07)

He had resigned before finding RFM. I resigned after being here a couple of years.

Luv being a exmo/non mormon
K

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 10:38AM

I can't remember exactly what I googled, but it was something along the lines of "crisis of faith", or "faith and doubt". I found an LDS Blog, then found my way to NOM and then here. I posted alot on NOM at first, but now I'm mostly on here and less so on Postmo.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 10:46AM

One link led to another.

I had walked away from the church, oh, 20 years before, so I wasn't looking for anything about Mormonism. But when I stumbled upon RFM I thought, hey, people more or less like me. I wonder what they have to say.

I knew other former Mormons existed, it had just never occurred to me they might be reaching out to each other.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 11:01AM

I read Under The Banner Of Heaven and got curious about polygamy and did a search on the wives of JS. I've been here ever since.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 11:16AM

I waqs already out for a few years, but I wanted to know how to resign in '01. I stumbled on this site, but didn't start posting until a couple of years ago.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 11:21AM

I was a nonbeliever before he told me about it. I had some questions about the temple--why I was afraid to not wear garments, tell my special name, etc., and he suggested I read here.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 11:28AM

At the bottom of the rethinking mormonism website was the biographies page. I read a lot of those during my NOM transition phase and even crept over here a few times, but was still afraid to spend much time here.

Previously a few years before that I was looking for something else and saw a link regarding the starving missionaries, which led to the topics board where I saw a lot of crazy info. My wind-up morgbot brain felt that I should and could rebuke you all for your wretchedness, but you were telling the truth about the missionaries budgets getting slashed and I had a son who was trying to stay fed while living on his own.

Anyway, when I finally had to leave the NOM mindwarp websites and face the truth, I finally came here.

Posted by: 87vetteguy ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 11:34AM

Several years ago, I looked up.. I believe. What a social mormon was. Well, that led me to NOM, then to FLAK, PostMormon.org and others.

It was very reassuring that I was not alone with my issues. Now I am very happy with my situation. Not resigned, just dont care at all. I have better things to do with my time than waste it so a small handful of elites can be paid a rather good stipend. I will waste my time so others may have fun :)

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 12:16PM

I wanted the church to not be true.I googled post mormon and got my wish. I spent up to 5 hours a day here....now I am down to 2-3. Every day I learn something new about 'this so called church'. And it disgusts me.

Thanks RfM.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 12:55PM

loveskids Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wanted the church to not be true.

Me too, loveskids. I was terrified that the church might be true and all the crap I couldn't stand would be part of my eternal life. I cannot describe my relief and joy when I finally discovered it was all a bunch of poorly written BS.

Then I felt like an idiot for every believing any of it.

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 12:40PM

I read Under the Banner of Heaven and it opened my eyes to how the church has changed when convenient and it raised many questions in my mind.

Both of my parents were raised in Utah, one a mo, one a jack mo, so we were exposed to the church at times growing up and it always kind of creeped me out. So I stumbled across this site when googling for more info on mo'ism and wow, have I ever learned a lot about the scam that has been perpetrated. It has also explained a lot of things about our visits back to UT and some of my parent's attitudes.

I am still fascinated by the extent of the deception and wonder how so many generations of my ancestors bought into this since both sides of the family were early pioneer mo's. Thanks, RfM.

Posted by: Bro.R.H. ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 12:56PM

...one of the church members who'd been asked to eulogize her 'pulled a BKP' and droned on for over an hour about the church, never once mentioning anything about my grandmother, other than to say he first met her in 1946. After about 20 minutes I probably had steam coming out of my ears I was so mad. I had pretty much been out of the church since '81, but up until then my attitude was something like 'it may or may not be true, but it's not for me and is a pretty harmless organization.' But on the drive home from the funeral I wondered if there was some kind of community for people who'd left the church and I later googled 'ex-mormons' and found this site. What I've learned from this site has moved me from being merely skeptical to knowing there is no way TSCC and the BoM is anything but a product of JS's fertile imagination.

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 12:58PM

Posted by: piscespirate ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 01:05PM

on a 'discussion' on mormons and posted links to RFM. It was shortly after my mother-in-law's passing and I was livid at the proselyting done by her sisters and brothers at her funeral. Helped me to not feel so alone in moridor and grieve at the same time.

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 01:11PM

I had discovered TSCC was not true over the course of several years by reading Doctrine & Covenants and Miracle of Forgiveness among other church-approved tomes. A few years after the last of my faith had drained away, the VT's found me and started pounding on my door on a regular basis and leaving crappy snack foods on my doorstep for the neighborhood cats to tear into so I decided to resign for the health of the kitties. I found this board when I googled looking for the address to send my resignation letter to.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 15, 2011 01:40PM

SkunkPuppet, the old Mateo, and others brought me over here.

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.