Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fr0ggy ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 07:42PM

I need some assistance about talking with a Mormon blogger.

First off, I'm not a Mormon, nor have I ever been a Mormon. In fact, I knew very little about what Mormons believed until I "met" this person on a local blog (not my blog, by the way). when she posted her basic tenets of belief, I began a dialog (if you can call it that) with her to find out more. She was and is very difficult to have a real conversation with, because all she seems to be able to do is 'cut and paste' stuff from "approved LDS sites."

Anyway, through our "conversation" and my own digging, I actually learned quite a bit, but in the end, she has become very closed to me because I rejected her beliefs as Christian (as based on my understanding of the Bible).

One of the things I ran across was this site of exmormons. I find personal testimonies very eye opening and moving. I also got to thinking that maybe an exmormon might make more headway with this lady, because you've 'been there, done that, and got the T-shirt'.

I actually feel sorry for this lady and anyone else stuck in this Mormon system, but I don't think I can do much more to try to open her eyes.

Like I've told her before, I don't hate Mormons. I would probably love to have them as a neighbor, and I probably share alot of the same conservative type beliefs, but their idea on how to be saved, I completely disagree.

Anyway....if any of you exmormons would like to help try to open this womans eyes (and I'm not looking for people to just badger or mock her) then here is the site:
http://lacrossechat.madmooseforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1268

Thank you for any assistance you can give!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: emmasm ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 08:31PM

Have you considered that your Christian and Bible-based beliefs about "how to be saved," Jesus, and God are every bit as false as mormonism?

Just something to consider and research, before you try to talk someone out of THEIR faith, first you should take a good hard look at yours.

Date: February 19, 2011 08:37PM

That's a good point. The answer to your question is, Yes, I have taken a good, long, hard look at what I believe and why I believe it. I am sure of the foundation of my faith.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 09:12PM

I just read her reply. It could take a lot to convince her.

Date: February 19, 2011 09:21PM

Well thanks for taking a look. Like the old addage goes...you can lead a horse to water, but....

We all have free will to choose. Even when there are many controlling elements involved, our free will is still there. I think the fact that there are so many exmormons proves that.

She may not be budged from her spot, but it isn't impossible or wrong to try, imho.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 10:38PM

great answer frOggy. Some on this board do not wish to let others believe as they wish. They want to put them down. Glad you stood up to it.

Posted by: sukiyhtaky ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 09:38PM

I think it is pretty egotistical of you to go to the extreme, without her knowledge or approval no less, of asking people in effect to 'go get her'. This is exactly what exmo's accuse mormons of. Think about it, would you like her posting your name so that you get bombed with people pushing a pro mormon viewpoint? If you can't sway her with your beliefs and opinions, move on. Don't pity her, pity yourself for trying to force your views on others...just what we accuse them of.

Date: February 19, 2011 10:16PM

If you reread my post, I explicitly ask that people don't attack or badger her.

My disagreements and concerns about her have to do with salvation and what the Bible says verses what Mormons claim. I realize that not everyone has that opposition, but what I've read on here is there is much wrong inside the church, of which I have no insight into. Regardless of if you are an atheist or not, I would think that you would want to try to help someone escape the Mormon church if they didn't have all the information available. Exmormons have information/experience I don't have and thought some might want to try to help. You don't, apparently, fine. I was just asking.

As to the point of her having her Mormon friends going to the same site and trying to convince me of what they see as my errors....I WOULD LOVE IT! I think good, open, honest discussion is good.

As to moving on... I basically have. If you go to the site, you will see that our "conversations" were over a year ago. If by "moving on" you mean for me not to discuss what I find wrong with Mormonism or what I find amazing in the stories of exmormons..then no, I will not. She doesn't have to address my threads. I'm not 'blog-stalking' her. She can ignore it or she can comment. It's all up to her.

As to the accusation that I'm trying to "force" my views on her, that's ridiculous. It's an open forumn. If she wants to accept what I put out, fine. If she wants to reject it, fine. I'm not forcing anything on anyone. I have no power over her to "force" anything onto her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2011 10:19PM by fr0ggy.

Posted by: cecilia ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 09:50PM

In my experience, the best way to undermine a mormon's faith is to show them provable historical facts. Forget arguing scripture and whether or not mormonism is Christian. (I'm an atheist, I don't really care about the difference).

http://20truths.info/mormon.html
http://wivesofjosephsmith.org/
http://www.conchisle.com/pg.htm

If you can prove to her that Joseph Smith was a fraud, nothing else matters.

Don't show her these websites, she won't bother to look at them. Take time reading over the material, and compare it with stuff from lds.org, you can use their search function to look up the mormon's viewpoint on any given subject.

Then give her the information using mostly church approved material.

Date: February 19, 2011 10:05PM

That's good information and good advice. Thank you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.