Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 04:11PM

"[T]his is one of the more interesting sub domains of social psychology. The idea was developed by the social psychologist Leon Festinger and it's called "Cognitive Dissonance Theory." And what Festinger was interested in was the idea that what happens when people experience an inconsistency in their heads. And he claimed it causes an unpleasant emotional state, what he described as "dissonance." And he argued that we act so as to reduce dissonance. When there's a contradiction in our heads we're not happy and will take steps to make the contradiction go away."

"Here is the classic experiment by Festinger. Gave two groups of people a really boring task, paid one of them twenty dollars, which back when this study was done was real money, gave another group of subjects one dollar, which was insultingly small, then asked them later, "What do you think of the task?" It turns out that the group that had--were paid a dollar rated the task as much more fun than the group given twenty dollars. So, think about that for a moment. You might have predicted it the other way around, the twenty dollars, "wow, well, twenty dollars, I must have enjoyed it because I got twenty dollars," but in fact, the logic here is the people with twenty dollars when asked, "What do you think of the task?" could say, "It was boring. I did it for twenty dollars." The people paid one dollar were like the character in the Dilbert cartoon. When paid a dollar they said, "Well, I don't want to be a donkey. I don't want to be some guy who does this boring thing for a dollar. It wasn't that bad really, it was kind of interesting, I learnt a lot," to justify what they did."

"This has a lot of real world implications. Festinger did a wonderful study with people--a group of people, and he wrote this up in a book called When Prophesy Fails, who were convinced that the world was going to end so they went on a mountain and they waited for the world to end. They had a certain time and date when the world was going to end. He hung out with them and then the time passed and the world didn't end. What people then said, and this is what he was interested in--;So, people's predictions were totally proven wrong and they left their families, they gave away their houses, they gave away all their possessions, they lost all their money, but what Festinger found was they didn't say, "God, I'm such a moron." Rather, they said, "This is fantastic. This is exactly--This shows that us going to the mountain has delayed the ending of the world and this shows that we're doing exactly the right things. I couldn't have been smarter." And in general, when people devote a lot of energy or money or expense to something, they are extraordinarily resistant to having it proven wrong."

"Now, people have manipulated cognitive dissonance in all sorts of ways and, for instance, hazing. Hazing is cognitive dissonance at work. Fraternities and med schools and other organizations haze people. What they do is when people enter the group they humiliate them, they cause them pain, they cause them various forms of torture and unpleasantness. Why? Well, because it's very successful at getting somebody to like the group. If I join a fraternity--it is also by the way illegal so – but if I were to join a fraternity and they say, "Welcome to the fraternity, Dr. Bloom. Here. Have a mint," and then we have a good time and everything. I'm thinking "okay, sounds like a fun idea." But if I join a fraternity and they pour cow poop on my head and make me stand in the rain for a month wearing pantyhose while they throw rocks at me [laughter] I then think--after it I think "God, I went through a lot of stuff to get into this fraternity. It must be really good." And in fact, hazing through cognitive dissonance draws the inference that this is really, really valuable and this is why it exists."

"If you are a political--If you are running for office, you will tend to have volunteers and not necessarily pay people. One reason for this is obvious; it's cheaper not to pay people, but the other reason is more interesting. If you don't pay people, they are more committed to the cause. Again, it's cognitive dissonance. If you pay me ten thousand dollars a month to work for you, I'll work for you and I'll think "I'm doing it for ten thousand dollars a month, that makes a lot of sense," but if I do it for nothing then I have to ask myself, "Why am I doing it?" And I will conclude I must think very highly of you.'"

Paul Bloom
http://oyc.yale.edu/yale/psychology/introduction-to-psychology/content/transcripts/transcript16.html

----------------------------------------------------------------

So after reading this I want to ask your opinions on a couple things.

- Have mormon temple ordinances become a type of hazing? (If they aren't embarrassing I don't know what is)

- Are mormon leaders aware of this psychology, and is that part of the reason that they have members clean toilets?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2011 04:12PM by Freevolved.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Guy Noir, Private Eye ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 05:57PM

like most anomalies, MoMish Doesn't Recognize C.D.
just sayin'

Posted by: xr ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 10:38AM

Whoa you said "just sayin'"
Pretty sure that's a copyrighted trademark on this website lol :D

Posted by: D. Lamb ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 06:07PM

Freevolved, this was a very informative piece. It would be interesting to know if the church is aware of this CD thing.
I would venture to guess yes. The church hires, Jewish PR firms for it's public persona, so why not for this kind of issue.

I wouldn't doubt the morg has a consultant who is expert in social psychology.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 06:09PM

The whole Mo lifestyle is based on cog dis.
"The temple ceremony is long, repetitive, and boring. Therefore, it must be worthwhile." So, yes the ceremony is hazing.

THe Mo leaders may never have heard of cog dis, but they do know that effort and sacrifice lead to commitment. Bringem Young was keenly aware of this principle when he came up with the handcart program. "Make them walk to the valley. Not only is it cheaper, but once they get here, they won't want to leave because they put so much effort into getting here." So, the handcart program was a form of hazing. The lay ministry that we have now is a form of hazing. The bishop will always believe that the church is true, because he puts in 30 hours a week doing that job, on top of his 9-5 paid job.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 07:41PM

Nice post, Freevolved! This is why I love this bulletin. You know, I've been thinking that the missionary program is really a form of hazing. Those boys are tortured into thinking like their leaders. Having invested two torturous years, the RMs don't want to look foolish. They have to say it was a great experience.

My father starved me when I was a kid and lavished Salt Lake with tithes and building fund contributions, etc. So when I confronted him about it he didn't want to look like the cold-hearted monster that he was. He waxed eloquently about the "Lord's" money.

The dissonance is ringing in my ears.

Date: February 19, 2011 07:51PM

Yeah I always hated when missionaries said that their mission was the best two years of their life.

I doubt it. More like they knew they got screwed by being forced to work such a shitty job, but were too embarrassed to admit it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 10:33AM

Freevolved Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>"And in general, when people devote a lot of energy or money or expense to something, they are extraordinarily resistant to having it proven wrong."

That's the Mormon church in a nutshell.

Great article. Thanks for posting it.

Date: February 20, 2011 11:29AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Freevolved Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >"And in general, when people devote a lot of
> energy or money or expense to something, they are
> extraordinarily resistant to having it proven
> wrong."
>
> That's the Mormon church in a nutshell.

I agree. I think TSCC has some things going for it. People devote SO much to it. Men go on missions, women give up careers (I think women give up the most), Both men and women perform a lot of free service for the church, pay tithing, wear silly underwear. It is extremely hard to admit that all of that was a waste (or at least that a lot of it was a waste), when you hear of the problems associated TSCC you may try to hang on to apologetics, or you may try to give even more to TSCC hoping that will solve the problem (your mindset is that maybe you're not being righteous enough). I think it's different for some people, but overall I think it is easier to leave when you are younger; when you have invested less into LDS inc.

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 12:39PM

Though I've recognized for some time the role cognitive dissonance plays in faith and religious belief, I'd never thought of it as hazing. BRILLIANT! And the idea that serving a mission is two years of hazing - BRILLIANT!

Thanks for the insight.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.