Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 04:47PM

I'm at the EFY during the four hour brainwash. barely 10 minutes in and I'm sick of hearing Joseph Smith already. somebody get me out of here!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 19, 2011 04:48PM

Clarification: this is the EFY dance, not the camp.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 05:00PM

In the 70s our NYC stake youth would gather once a month for a morning of gospel lessons, a group lunch, an afternoon something else and then top it off with a dance at night.

I absolutely loved super saturday back in the day.

Date: February 19, 2011 05:08PM

Not near as fun as a super saturday, 4 hours of talks. 1 hour of dinner. and then a few hours of a dance. and I'm sick of this talk. he is going on assumption, saying that it can't be false. no facts he's giving, just the same Joseph Smith couldn't have made it up. he had no education. and that BS. I wish I could leave, only have my permit(late bloomer in driver world), and had a leader drive me here, but nevermo friend and I are going to hide out in the bathroom soon.

Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 05:39PM

You're smack dab in the middle of a prime example! Sorry you're there!

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 03:01AM

In my experience it is much easier to make up things when you have no education.

Posted by: kryptonite200 ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 05:01PM

Excuse yourself to go to the bathroom and then hope in your car and go have a nice long lunch somewhere?

Hope that's an option for you.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 05:10PM

I would seek out more people with whom I had something in common! My favorite boyfriends were my ski buddies, fellow Californians I grew up with, nature lovers, beach bums, tennis players, classmates at the university, co-workers, neighbors, etc. You get the idea. These were people that were doing whatever I was doing in my life.

Also, I didn't have to agree 100% about their religion or politics or cultural habits. Don't you think it is boring to date only clones of yourself?

I think this is why those EFY and BYU couples have to resort to sex to liven things up. When people are thinking about interesting things, participating in sports, or laughing and having fun--they think about sex less. The Mormons like to line up hormonal teens and young adults male-female in a closed room, make things as monotonous as possible, dim the lights, start the music, have everybody gyrate like jungle animals, then say "no sex allowed." No wonder Mormon teens keep LDS Social Services supplied with babies!

You, dear anon 123, are probably in one of the most unhealthy environments ever created. Warning: depression will set in, unless you grab some friends and escape to a pizza place right now! Run!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2011 05:11PM by forestpal.

Date: February 19, 2011 05:51PM

Wish I could. But thankfully there's no guards in the bathrooms.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 06:27AM

Adult Mormons escaping to the couches in the foyer during meetings.

;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2011 06:28AM by shannon.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 05:18PM

We have some exmo neighbors here in Chelmsford MA (google David Wright sometime, former BYU professor exed for committing the sin of publication about some damaging info about how Joseph Smith created the BOM)

Anyway, years ago, a Wright daughter was at an lds youth event where the speaker was decrying homosexuality. As some of her friends are gay she got up and left. Went into the ladies' room and refused to come out. They had to call her mom to come fetch her.

At this point her dad had been exed and she had no idea why the family kept going to church. The next morning she and her sister took toy handcuffs or maybe it was a bicycle lock, I forget. Anyway - they locked themselves to a bed in their room rather than be hauled off to church one more time.

Their parents were very proud of the girls and they love telling this story. They pretty much never went to church again shortly after this event.

Posted by: Shiner Bock ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 05:28PM

His Limo driver goes around Provo. See if you see Monson's white limo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebJ2brErERQ&feature=related

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 05:48PM

My 17 year old son has been deep in the throes of planning some youth conference. The creepy thing to me was some woman calling--I had no clue who she was--and leaving a message that my son needed to think "prayerfully" about the plans and come on Sunday with ideas. Then she wanted him to leave her his phone number and email address. Could have been a cougar come on. I don't know. Just boundary crossing creepy. And the tbms have no clue how weird and inappropriate such a phone message is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2011 05:48PM by derrida.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 19, 2011 06:30PM

It should have been a man calling. It does sound like "cougar."

Hell, I hated these Saturday gettogethers when I was TBM. On and on and on and on boring talks. I didn't mind the dances back then--but I WONDER WHY. Mormon guys NEVER liked me. I had to wait until I met nonmos to ever date.

Anyway--I'm sorry you are STUCK on a Saturday at EFY and I think that Colorado weather is nice right now, isn't it? (My boyfriend lives there--he just left this morning to head home.)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 12:56AM

Just dream about the day that all of the church nonsense will be in your rear-view mirror.

Date: February 20, 2011 01:51AM

A couple friends and I found the mother's room which was hidden through the woman's room. And we had the talk on low volume so we would know when it ended. And it really helped when my sister sent in the YW leader after me(yea), so that we had that excuse. The dance part was fun. For me it's kind of opposite of most people. The church is awful, a lot of the youth in it are great.

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 04:33AM

The mother's room was hidden through the woman's room... Which means that no daddy would be able take care of little children. That kind of arrangement would not do where I am.

Date: February 20, 2011 02:25PM

I had the same thought.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.