Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mmmbop ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 07:08PM

After 20 years of saying that I am not a mormon, I decided I wanted to take the appropriate steps to make it official. After reading some of the websites talking about resigning your memebership I have a question.
The websites say that sometimes the church will threaten to ex-communicate you for your request. They also mention that some people get lawyers to help them fight the excommunication. Why? What possible impact would excommunication have on my life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: givemethismoment ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 07:12PM

Well in the past when someone was excommunicated it would be announced from the pulpit, along with the reason why. That doesn't happen anymore, but that's the only reason I can really think of that someone would try to fight it so much.

Though I think it's pretty lame that the church does that. Kind of like firing someone before they quit, or vice versa, if you ask me.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 07:16PM

The church rarely tries any more to excommunicate someone who has been inactive for twenty years and turns in a resignation. They used to do that, especially if the bishop was a power-freak. But no more.

For up-to-date instrucations, see "Leaving the Mormon Church: How To Get Out" at http://packham.n4m.org/leaving.htm

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 07:22PM

If you resign they should no longer threaten excommunication. The reason for resigning is so you have control rather than abdicating control to them. The courts have determined that your resignation is valid and in place from the time you send it to them, so they really can't excommunicate you after that point. The Mormon Church fought the member's right to resign, wanting to retain their control through excommunication. The courts saw it differently. I resigned as a statement that I, not they had control. I guess it was one last opportunity to poke my finger in their eye. Childish, I guess so, but still satisfying.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 10:31PM

If people are going to resign, perhaps it would be a good idea to put the following phrase in their letter?

YOU HAVE TWENTY-FOUR HOURS TO PROCESS MY RESIGNATION FROM THE TIME I RECEIVE NOTIFICATION THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED MY RESIGNATION LETTER. IF I DON'T HAVE CONFIRMATION OF IT WITHIN TWENTY-FOUR HOURS OF YOUR RECEIPT OF THIS LETTER, YOU WILL HEAR FROM MY ATTORNEY AND I WILL BE GOING TO THE MEDIA.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 20, 2011 10:46PM

There is no way you could get a judge to enforce a demand like that. Not to mention what it would cost you for the privilege of being laughed out of court. They are allowed a reasonable amount of time to process a resignation. I guarantee they can make the case that 30 days is reasonable, and they can almost certainly make the case that 60 days is reasonable. No way that you can make the case that 24 hours is reasonable

As for going to the media and telling them you resigned from your church, and they took more than a day to process your resignation - not exactly a front-page-above-the-fold type of story. Not even a section D, page 5 at the bottom story.

Oh, and all caps won't help either.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 03:09PM

When I left the LDS Church almost thirty years ago, the only a pparent way back then to have my name removed was to submit to an excommunication court. Since I knew what a court was all about I went well prepared to take as much control as I could, even prefacing my well prepared statement with the charge that "...you are not excommunicating me but I requested this hearing in order to excommunicate the church from my life." I took an aggressive approach and at no time did I feel I had surrendered control.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.