Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hadenough ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 02:23PM

My son has decided he would like to wait a while, work, and earn some money (for his mission) before going on a mission. His grandparents offered to pay for his mission, but he wants to fund his own way. He is a very good young man of strong character, and being of proper age, he wants to advance in the Morg Priesthood.

Yesterday, our branch president informed him that under the new handbook of instructions (which the GA's call a "Treasure"), he is not allowed to advance in the Priesthood or attend the temple until he either serves a mission or gets married. My TBM wife was heartbroken that our son has "strayed off the path."

Just last week we had received several compliments from friends, neighbors, and my son's boss about what an outstanding person he is...but he's not good enough for the Church? Huh

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 02:26PM

isn't that bizarre???

Would he consider something like city year? It's a way to be of service before finishing college and you earn some college money as well if that's what you want.

I realize he has a job and all, but maybe this would be a nice interim get away for him.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 02:30PM

The branch President must be pulling this out of nether regions. Such a rule would make being single, never having married, not going on a mission, and attending the temple impossible. It also means you have to be married or you have to serve a mission (but not both?) in order to go to the temple. That doesn't make sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 02:31PM by derrida.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 02:34PM

I'll change my mind if someone can produce a quote from the CHI that affirms this position as an absolute.

"Yesterday, our branch president informed him that under the new handbook of instructions (which the GA's call a "Treasure"), he is not allowed to advance in the Priesthood or attend the temple until he either serves a mission or gets married."

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 03:01PM

I didn't get the melchezidic(sp) priesthood till my mission. Others I knew got it before they went into the military. Most of the mormon guys I knew in the military had not progressed past priest because they were not going on a mission.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 03:25PM

Yep.

I've always thought it funny that an 8 year old is considered mature enough to "choose" to be baptized. But a grown adult is not mature enough to "choose" to leave.

The only respected "choice" is the one endorsed by the leaders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2011 03:26PM by caedmon.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 03:27PM

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 04:11PM

has anyone heard an 8 year old say no to being baptized? I was so young I barely remember, I don't even think I knew what was going on. Just my grandpa was there and he dunked me.

Posted by: givemethismoment ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 04:54PM

I did once hear of an 8 year old who said no! I don't remember the story behind it, but a little boy told the Bishop he wasn't interested. I just remember being horrified at the time. I feel like TBM me was a totally different person than I am LOL. Now I realize that kid was onto something!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 05:11PM

At least in many mainstream Christian churches the kids wait til they are 11- 16 to be confirmed. For those that don't know that is when they take on full responsibility for their belief system and accept JC as their personal savior. Up until then their parents guided them as they have since their baptism as an infant. And now the parents feel they are prepared for confirmation. I would say 11 is far better than 8 for committment to a church.

Posted by: steveadams ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 05:02PM

If he joined the National Guard and chose a Military Occupational Specialty requiring a language, he could go to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey CA and earn money, an associates degree and learn a foreign language to use on his mission. It would also get him away from the Branch President. It might give him a chance to reconsider throwing away two years also.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 05:06PM

That is just crazy....again, all their Mormon rules.....just to get mishies on the move. If I were him I would do what HE wants to do regardless. Oh, of course he could run off and get married. Real smart move-NOT!!!

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: February 21, 2011 05:06PM

The new CHI Book 1 presents no additional restrictions on who may enter the temple. Not being a missionary may slow him down for becoming an HP, but not an Elder. Almost every 18 year old is made an Elder. This is probably just an arm twisting exercise to shame your son into doing what the TSCC wants him to do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.