Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: March 05, 2011 01:36AM

I mean, he reminds me of someone who has had something inside broken by religion or something serious and is very self-destructive. This may be OT, but I just saw him do an interview and have never seen him before, I never watch TV. Not sure what to make of him so thought I'd ask you all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 05, 2011 01:55AM

Exacerbated by alcoholism/addiction in relapse as well... Plus possibly some other stuff, perhaps a bipolar disorder although he'd have to be sober for a long time to be certain of that one...

There are similarities to that roommate you just escaped, no doubt, and there are also shame-based elements that would create a strong resemblance to Mormonism as well...

Sheen's father, Martin, is many years sober and an icon in the recovering and film making community... That's a tough act for Charlie to follow, and I liked Craig Ferguson's decision the other night (Craig is recovering himself) not to belittle what he sees as mental illness...

Another recovering celeb, Robin Williams, wasn't as restrained as Ferguson...

From my imperfect memory, Williams comment was, "Then there was Sheen's decision to do rehab at home. That's something like a do-it-yourself colonoscopy."

I confess I got a roar repeating that one at an AA meeting tonight, but then the folks there understand about that stuff and the danger of isolating themselves the way Charlie has... I tried to pass it on as a bit of a moral lesson they wouldn't forget... Questionable taste, possibly, but this stuff is a matter of life-and-death, and I felt it was a good lesson.

I wish him well, but he's gotta quit doing what he's doing because it ain't working...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2011 01:58AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Emmahalesmith ( )
Date: March 05, 2011 08:57AM

I disagree. It's a huge leap of logic to say that exmos are self destructive. I don't see how leaving behind an institution that is parasitic in its soul sucking tendencies causes a person to act like Charlie Sheen.
I also don't see a lot of exmos going out and acting like a complete douchenozzle just because they no longer subscribe to the religious doctrine of the church.

But that's just me.

Date: March 05, 2011 10:04AM

I didn't mean to imply that exMos are self-destructive, but rather that many active Mos are because of the shame, etc. Sorry for not being more explicit on that one. I greatly admire anyone who has escaped the clutches of the cult.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 05, 2011 09:02AM

I actually feel bad for the guy. I've liked him as an actor for many years and it makes me sad to his life devolve into madness. I think he needs to shut up and get his life together.

The one Charlie Sheen joke I liked was on "Infomania":

Charlie Sheen has been popping on every show this week except for "2 1/2 Men"

Posted by: Gia ( )
Date: March 05, 2011 10:16AM

Sheen just set the ubelievable record of picking up 1 mllion twitter followers in 24 hours!

It will get him into the Guinness book.

Last night his following stood at 1.6 million.

WINNING

Date: March 05, 2011 10:35AM

I've been thinking about him some since the interview last night. I have never even seen the guy until then, as I live on another planet (so I'm told).

I think he fascinates people because he's very articulate, doesn't play by the rules and is a bit of a rebel, and is a slow-motion train-wreck.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 05, 2011 10:44AM

There was one phrase last night that fit mormons. When it was said that he surrounds himself with paid enablers.

Date: March 05, 2011 10:46AM

And he seems to have high self-esteem, which is always interesting to those who don't. It may be fake. but doesn't seem so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2011 10:46AM by lostinutah.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 05, 2011 03:43PM

That's a raging case of NARCISSISM!

;o)

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 05, 2011 03:51PM

Date: March 05, 2011 04:53PM

That was one reason I thought he might be Mormon, as they seem to think they're superior.

And yes, he thinks very highly of himself. A rock star from Mars, he said. WTF? In his interview, he was fairly incoherent, seemed to make sense but not quite most of the time, like his logic circuits were just a tad off.

Posted by: ex-mormon ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 12:18PM

He's actually a Virgo. Virgo's are highly insecure. So although he appears to be narcissistic and with high self-esteem ... it's actually the flip-side. He's really not as narcissistic and arrogant as he appears. Yes, he might have the arrogance that his social stature allows. But, he's really very insecure.

And Virgo's practically invented sarcasm. So, sarcasm just keeps dribbling out of his mouth.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 12:54PM

Virgos are not all insecure. But they do have an internal set of rules that they impose upon themselves and others. They can be very judgmental.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 01:08PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 01:09PM by Strykary.

Posted by: lv skeptic ( )
Date: March 05, 2011 10:51AM

Ok, y'all.... a few questions / comments in the form of comparisons.

Comparison #1

Charlie Sheen is living with two women who he refers to as
"the goddesses", and that aspect of his life is ignored

Other men get verbally assaulted or jailed for MARRYING two women

Comparison #2

Two gay men living together are ignored

Two gay men getting MARRIED are verbally assaulted by the Morg and others of the Religious Right.

I am not judging any side, but am fascinated by the difference.

Other thought about Charlie and the Morg

1. Living with two women, married or not
2. The women are referred to as "the goddesses"

Has he been reading D&C 132, or is it just me?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 05, 2011 03:47PM

Winning!

I guess it all depends what you want to win at.

Posted by: LOL ( )
Date: March 05, 2011 05:41PM

Nope.

It's Tigerblood.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 05, 2011 06:07PM

As is typical for Hispanic families.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 12:35PM

I got an app that blacks out all occurrences of this celebrity's name, as well as any photo of him, so he's not cluttering up my life.

Date: March 10, 2011 12:42PM

+100

But...how did you find this thread? (j/k)

Posted by: Terrestrial Trilobite ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 01:05PM

In his present state Sheen could pass for a false apostle. Say whatever you want, threaten to kill people, and the "faithful" followers both love it and feel guilty about hating it. Self-perpetuating, self-multiplying power for all eternity, as long as there are other people around to pay the price.

Problem is, Sheen drove away all his family, friends, and lovers, so he's totally isolated. He really needs to start a cult. :(

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.