Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 02:07AM

Jeez, why did I have to read that friend's thread. While said friend (exmo, I believe) is okay with the Oscar winning, and inspiring I should add, movie, this TBM acquaintance (mother of two almost adult kids) comments back and forth that she "can't" watch the movie or her kids will "chatise" her.

Good Holy Mother of God!

A full grown adult cannot watch an R-rated movie because of that? She goes on to wonder if there's not a "clean" version of the said flick. It's just baffling, just jaw droppingly stoopid.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 02:18AM

It was a great movie with two bad words in it that we hear every day.That woman is ridiculous. Did you read the blog linked in another thread where the lady admitted that she didn't know much about the king but since he was a good man , he couldn't swear and he would be deeply offended to have a movie show him doing such? wow, she doesn't know much about him but she knows what he did and didn't do and how he would feel about this movie.Well, I have read several biographies of the Queen and one on the Queen Mum and they pretty much agree that the king was a good man and a good husband and father, but he still had a temper and could swear like a drunken sailor.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 02:29AM

I read something about his father George V, and he was known for swearing so much that his staff knew he had recovered from an illness when his foul language returned. Basically, George VI inherited the temper and learned to swear like a drunken sailor from his father, as well as his time in the navy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 02:30AM by adoylelb.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 05:59AM

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 09:33AM

LOL...+1

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 07:17PM

Come on now.
It's got to be more than language.

Date: February 28, 2011 07:31PM

BadGirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Come on now.
> It's got to be more than language.

The two words were fuck and shit and they said them a lot. The king could say them without stuttering so when he was practicing and stumbled he would let a barrage of profanity.Bloody was in it a lot too which is considered vulgar in England. No sex, no nudity.No violence and an uplifting story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2011 07:39PM by bona dea.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 07:34PM

Film producers TRY to get R ratings so their films will be taken seriously. Pure politics.
I can't understand how those words warrant an R rating. Ridiculous.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 07:43PM

are said repeatedly in short period of time. But it's nothing any adult can't handle.

I thought it was completely appropriate and thought the film was really good. I have no sympathy for those who are so pious that they cannot get past a few profane words. They miss out on what the larger world has to offer.

Date: February 28, 2011 07:47PM

badseed Wrote:
> are said repeatedly in short period of time. But
> it's nothing any adult can't handle.
>
> I thought it was completely appropriate and
> thought the film was really good. I have no
> sympathy for those who are so pious that they
> cannot get past a few profane words. They miss out
> on what the larger world has to offer.
Especially since those words are heard in real life everyday. If you don't believe me, try walking through a junior high or high school. They may not say them in class, most of the time, but walk throught the halls and the cafeteria.Or better yet, intercept the notes they are passing or read what they scribble in their notebooks or on their desks. We used to joke that based on the graffiti, the kids were more experienced than the kids.

Date: February 28, 2011 02:36AM

It would be hard to serve in the navy and not swear. What gets me is the idea that since he was a good man he couldn't possibly swear. huh? That is a non sequitor if I ever heard one.My parents were good people and they swore. I swear. Big deal.I think if the rating of Bambi was changed to R without the content being changed at all, suddenly TBMs would avoid it. It is stupid.Judge a movie on its worth not its rating or whether they say sh&* or f*&k.

Date: February 28, 2011 02:43AM

One other point. Other than a couple of swear words repeated in several scenes, this movie was completely suitable for all ages. Kids would probably be bored, but there was nothing other than a couple of swearing scenes that was inappropriate. Most kids, not to mention adults, hear those words all the time anyway.

Posted by: CatwaklerSmith ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 04:27AM

I have a TBM grown up friend (70) I guess the problem may be the "grip" of reality...A few days ago, I wathched Thelma and Louise..I asked her how many times she may have viewed the movie. It was at least 30 times..so I asked her what she thought the movie was about...after stammering, She said it was like cops and robbers...I being ex..said you couldn't know what this whole movie was even about without the ex-rated language...and I do like to see the movie as it was intended...I told her once awhile back when I made the mistake of moving back to Utah..that many women don't like course language..but, it is a fact of life. I can see this why can't my friend of 50 years see the same ?

Posted by: CatwalkerSmith ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 04:32AM

I made a mistake right off in my name..first post here sorry.. Also love the King's Speech winning. I didn't mention above but it is art and needs to be treated as such..I haven't been to the library do they dis-allow some books still ?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 05:53AM

I think that the ratings system needs to be reassessed. We let kids watch violence but get all prudish when it comes to swearing.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 06:47AM

There is an American subculture that is psychotically repressive about sex. This same subculture firmly believes killing is a reasonable way to solve a problem. And it uses god to justify both psychoses.

Mormonism is right at the heart of both these stances. Cases in point - last state (by a very wide margin) to use firing squads, a gun fetish so strong it qualifies as foreplay, and Mormon people who won't go see Shindler's List or The King's Speech because one shows a nipple, of which we all have two (mass murder of Jews in the movie is not a viewing problem, however - WTF), and one movie shows a person in a desperate situation saying shit and fuck to retrain a brain with a faulty repression mechanism, so he can learn to speak, so he can help save his nation.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 09:26AM

The "R" rating is a little harsh for this movie. Supposedly the "f" bomb at least used to automatically get you an R rating.
The exception was "All the President's Men" because it was quoting Nixon. "Tootsie" got away with it also. There may be others. Seems if King George actually used the word it would get a pass.

Yet you can hear plenty of swearing and see plenty of sex, although not graphic, in PG 13 movies.

Members of the ratings board are rotated through so it probably depends on which bunch watches a particular movie.

I haven't seen it yet but I plan to.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 09:57AM

Not sure if you've actually seen "All the President's Men," but there's about a dozen f-words and none of them are quoting Nixon. An f-word (or two) alone was never enough to get an R rating.

Regardless, Mormons are completely hypocritical about R-rated films. I grew up with all of my friends reading, for example, Patriot Games, but then refusing to see the movie because it was R. Reading a whole bunch of swearing is fine, but hearing it? Heaven forbid! I NEVER understood that.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 09:59AM

It should be noted that they're re-releasing The King's Speech with 3 of the 5 f-words blanked out so as to receive a PG-13 rating. Make of it what you will.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/update-harvey-weinstein-will-get-his-pg13-cut-of-t,52425/

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 07:18PM

If they remove the "F" bomb then it should get a G rating, NOT PG13.

Also, the ratings are set-up so a lot can get through for PG13 -- most movies with that rating are made for teenage boys! I work in the industry and the ratings are not done the way most people think they are.

Date: February 28, 2011 07:35PM

rgg Wrote:
> If they remove the "F" bomb then it should get a G
> rating, NOT PG13.
>
> Also, the ratings are set-up so a lot can get
> through for PG13 -- most movies with that rating
> are made for teenage boys! I work in the industry
> and the ratings are not done the way most people
> think they are.

I'd guess PG since David was having an affair with Mrs. Simpson and there was alcohol and smoking, but I agree it was very tame.The affair was implied and mentioned but you didn't see anything.There was also mention of his propensity for married women.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 10:15AM

There are prudes everywhere, witness the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council's banning of Dire Straights' "Money for Nothing" 25 years after release because it refers to a "little fagot with an earring". One of the radio stations retaliated here by playing for one hour straight.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 10:22AM

They all saw the movie...........with the f words.
It's history. So I guess they decided it was OK to see it.

I thought it was a great movie........glad it was R for reality.

K

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 12:21PM

On topic of academy awards. I was so glad that Alice in Wonderland won best costume! And one of the actresses from the lord of the rings was presenting awards. :D Couldn't have been better.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 12:25PM

Good. That's one less idiot I might have to sit next to in the theatre.

Ron

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 02:56PM

Sooooo glad Colin Firth won the Oscar! My luuuv for him started with his Mr. Darcy. ;)

Date: February 28, 2011 07:37PM

Adult of god Wrote:
> Sooooo glad Colin Firth won the Oscar! My luuuv
> for him started with his Mr. Darcy. ;)

He was excellent, but it did bother me a bit that he didn't look remotely like George VI.

Date: February 28, 2011 07:39PM

And what a gracious, amusing speech!

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 07:05PM

Quote:..."I think if the rating of Bambi was changed to R without the content being changed at all, suddenly TBMs would avoid it. It is stupid. Judge a movie on its worth not its rating or whether they say sh&* or f*&k."

Thumper: "Oh, shit, the fucking hunters just shot Bambi's mom!!!"

Date: February 28, 2011 07:16PM

Thread Killer Wrote:
> Quote:..."I think if the rating of Bambi was
> changed to R without the content being changed at
> all, suddenly TBMs would avoid it. It is stupid.
> Judge a movie on its worth not its rating or
> whether they say sh&* or f*&k."
>
> Thumper: "Oh, shit, the fucking hunters just shot
> Bambi's mom!!!"

Lol, I did say without changing anything though. You know, I wouldn't automatically take a small kid to Bambi. I spent months after seeing it worrying about fires and about the possibility of my mom dying.Some kids probably wouldn't worry, but I doubt I'm the only sensitive kid who was upset by it. Maybe I shou;ld have used something else for an example I guess that is okay for TBMs to take three year olds to see it though because there was no sex, nudity or swearing involved.Who cares if they have nightmares for months.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 07:21PM

My kids and I saw it this last Saturday night, even my 11 year old liked it!
The kids loved that Lionel was better known to them as Capt. Barobosa and the King was 'Harry' in Mama Mia!
They did a fabulous job!
The man who played Chaucer in A Knights Tale turned down the lead role (and regrets it)

I will definitely buy the movie when it gets released on DVD!

DO YOU KNOW THE 'F' WORD????
YES!
FORNICATE!

The movie was good for my children to see how ADULTS man up and overcome tremendous adversity even if they are a monarch!

Date: February 28, 2011 07:46PM

...are there any grand vistas that need no less than a big screen, then the answer would be no. This movie will do just fine on a smaller screen. There was a scene where the two men are walking in a beautiful garden, and I was glad to see that one on a bigger screen. But there was nothing truly critical.

But what you will get by going to it now is seeing (by far, in my estimation) the best movie of the year. It has an intelligent, inventive script, fabulous acting across the board, lovely scenery and costumes, and (that rarity of rarities) something to say.

Your call.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 07:54PM

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 08:29PM

I believe there should absolutely not be "clean"versions released to appease these wimps. Sorry, you miss out if sex and naughty words are soo scary for you.

UT doesn't seem to worry so much about people killing each other in movies, but show a tit, oooooo!

Date: February 28, 2011 08:37PM

ozpoof Wrote:
> I believe there should absolutely not be
> "clean"versions released to appease these wimps.
> Sorry, you miss out if sex and naughty words are
> soo scary for you.
>
> UT doesn't seem to worry so much about people
> killing each other in movies, but show a tit,
> oooooo!
There was a cartoon in the Tribune when Titanic came out and some Utahns were so upset at a brief glimpse of Kate Winslet's breast. A little girl and her mother were sitting in a theater watching the ship go under and the mother turns to the daughter and says, "See what happend when you take your clothes off."

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 08:48PM

Too much of that fucking bad language! ;oD

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.