Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xr ( )
Date: February 27, 2011 10:23AM

Ugh I hate it when 21 year old mormons marry their 19yr old girlfriends, engaged less than three months after start dating and married not much longer after that.
Ugh.
Go and enjoy life a bit. Marry someone when you've been around long enough to actually realize they're a good fit for you.
Ok rant over. Of course whatever floats their boat and makes them think they're happy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shiner Bock ( )
Date: February 27, 2011 11:26AM

What makes God madder than anything else? War, famine, dictatorships? Genocide in Darfur or Rwanda? Children being sexually abused, starved and kill? People losing their jobs and homes?

NO, NO, NO, and NO!!!!!

God's biggest concern....what really drives him and is his main focus is keeping the penis and vagina from touching before some doddering old fool in a polyester white suit can say a bunch of words over the bodies connected to these organs at an altar in a cold ugly building.

If God can get 0.0007% of his children to that point he's a happy Elohim.

Who cares how old they are....IT'S GOD'S WILL. It's been prayed over and these teenagers got themselves a revelation on it.

And that's how Elohim rolls.....

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: February 27, 2011 11:29AM

The problem is that 9 times out of 10, the RM will shortly get engaged to the first person that they date post-mission regardless of whether marriage is the right option or not for them. The desire to engage in 'relations' can be a very strong driving force.... so it always makes me smile when I hear young newly marrieds say that they prayed about the decision to marry their spouse and whilst not necessarily getting any strong answer, they felt at peace and knew it was the right thing to do. So basically they were in love and they wanted to have sex, which is just what people outside the church do, helping them over a longer period of time to properly decide if this is the right person or if they should move on.

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: February 27, 2011 11:33AM

She just turned 19 in January. Her fiance is a recently returned missionary. They met in October, got engaged in December and will be married in March.

All the TBM's in my family are oh-so-happy about it. I just keep my mouth shut. I bought her a really great sex book as a wedding present. I'm also going to give her the wedding night speech (since she's a good TBM virgin) Down and dirty like sex is supposed to be, none of that TBM crap about how God is supposed to be part of the union between man and wife (that always creeped me out) I almost had her out of the cult, but they sucked her back in, so I'll do my part to keep her somewhat grounded in reality.

I guarantee within two years she will be pregnant, and that she will never finish school. Oh well. Her life, not mine. I made my choices, she can make hers.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: February 27, 2011 11:42AM

My sister married at 19 (oh, so long ago!), and she had a baby a few days after their first wedding anniversary.

Good for you for trying to help her. Hopefully she won't feel so inhibited and dirty about sex, which means she'll probably actually enjoy it more.

TG

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: February 27, 2011 02:08PM

her fiance made the comment the other day about how he'd love to have children in "batches"--meaning twins or triplets. He's thinking a great big Brady bunch kind of family. Too bad neither of them has a job to support all these kids they're thinking of having...

When I left the church, my biggest hangup was sex. I could accept that Joe made it all up, but it took YEARS for me to accept that I wasn't going straight to outer darkness for having sex out of wedlock. I can't imagine being a virgin on my wedding night. I don't think I could have gone through with the deed.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 27, 2011 02:13PM

We met in Nov when he returned from a mission, got acquainted in Jan and began dating, engaged in April, married in August.He is several years older.

We're celebrating out 49th anniversary this year. Lots of ups and downs, but we persevered. We have opposite personalities. We use opposite sides of our brains in our choice of work/career. But it works.

Along with some divorces, several in our family generations were married 50 to 60 years before one died.
All of my friends (except one) married before I did, some are divorced, widowed, but some are still married.

I don't recommend, in this day and age, getting married under age 25. These are different times.

Getting married young can work, and does work in many cases.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: February 27, 2011 02:21PM

And the UT percentage ending in divorce is higher than the national average. That says a lot about the Mormon Cult. Of course I'm sure the CULT blames those percentages on all the non-Mormons in the state. You know that 100% of those end in divorce. :)

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: February 27, 2011 09:31PM

I know it's not intentional...crossroads, so I don't blame you.

I was 18 when I got married, my guy was 23. Honestly, it was the best thing that could have happened to me, because I was willing to do anything, and I mean anything, to not go home again. We got really lucky, and are good for each other, but it's been a long, hard road, and a lot of work.

If anything, I just really wish we'd resisted BYU and had kids later...it's all well and good when they encourage you to have babies while in school, but any sign of unusual problems, and all help evaporates.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: February 27, 2011 09:42PM

When I was at YBU as a junior and determined to get my BA, I stayed in Deseret Towers. There were four women on my floor who had a contest between themsleves to see who would be the first to get engaged. It only took the winner A MONTH!

I'm so glad I didn't go for that bullshit and only arried in my mid 30s and I'm grateful for nonmember parents who taught me to wait for marriage and do it when I was older.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 27, 2011 10:37PM

Is when you get to be my age (40s) and these 19/21 year olds have been married 20 plus years and you see how these marriages turn out. You marry the first RM or cute blondie you are hot for because you were taught that they key to success was to marry in the temple. So details didn't matter all that much - where you married was more important than who you married. Oh, sure, personality mattered a little but mostly you just wanted the temple marriage and the sex.

Then one day you wake up and find you haven't got all that much in common with your spouse but the church and the children. You find you've grown up and who you thought you were in you 20s isn't who you became. And the little spouse didn't grow in the same direction with you. But what are your options? You have to stay married because that's what good Mormons do. I know so, so many Mormon couples my age in this category...making the best of an empty marriage because you want to do the right thing. These same people, if given a few years to get to know themselves and grow up, would have picked different spouses and probably had a much better chance at a real relationship. DH and I waited til our late 20s to marry and while we come from different backgrounds and have had major challenges because that and because of his ADD, we at least are very, very good friends. I'm always shocked at how little my Mormon friend know about what is going on with their spouse on a day-to-day basis. DH and I talk about everything. The emphasis on marrying soon and in the temple rather than marrying the right person is another way the Mormon church steals from it's members. Because of the lives my friends could have had......

Posted by: winddancer ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 01:16AM

We were both 23 when we married...I was done with school, he wasn't...read a mission. We hardly knew each other...but were madly in love...sound familar? He was three years out of his mission and hadn't married the girl back home much to her dismay...we've married forever...and it wasn't easy...I'm a nevermo and he is finally out. There were times in our marriage I would rather forget...but more better times...

Non Mormons also marry young and not so young and wake up one day and think who is this person I live with? We have nothing in common but the kids and I want out. It happens in every religion....and non religious couples.

I don't believe 23 is young...but I was not a virgin but he was...only thing is he didn't marry a mormon...he married me..and no one knew what to make of that at all. His parents were kind and supported his choice...mine hated him and his religion...what a mess it was...

But we made it....but I would never get married at 19...I clearly remember 19 as a hell of a good time in college...and to miss that would be sad...

People marry for some many reasons most of them stupid...some work and some don't...

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 10:40AM

The March Ensign has an article by Julie Beck regarding "protecting families" and she lists getting educated and marrying at an older age as two of the things currently wrecking families. She is a bonehead of the nth degree. There is nothing like an education and maturity to destroy a family.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 12:18PM

You got a link? I don't wanna search. :D

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 01, 2011 09:12AM

The link is not yet on LDS.org. Maybe the new ensign will be posted tomorrow?

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 12:41PM

she was brilliant. She was/is a gifted pianist and violinist. She had one many many awards in music. She/is very pretty. Her IQ was measured in the 140's. She excelled in upper level Calculas and Chemistry. She carried a 4.0 GPA through all 4 years of HS, scored a 36 on the ACT, and won multiple scholarships. She was accepted into a very prestigious medical program, which accelerated a M.D. (i.e. shortened by two years). There were only 40 slots in the nation for this, and she won a slot. She didn't think she'd get in, but she did.

She also had applied to YBU as a 3rd option. Now YBU was okay for a third option I suppose. I didn't want her to go there. My TBM ex-wife and family did. The Y offered her a full ride. At the last minute, her mother convinced her to go to the Y instead of the medical program, because her mother had been told by the "spirit" that she should - and away she went.

Long story short. She meets a guy at the beginning of her sophmore year. He's 25, she was 19. They married 6 months later. He talked her in from reducing her chem degree down to a stupid family science degree - way way below her potential. She then gets pregnant, and doesn't even graduate. She now has two children. True, he has a job, and thier doing okay, but she has no degree, is 20 years old with 2 children less than 14 months, and just basically stays at home tending the two. I am grateful to have grandchildren, at my young age (mid-40's), but not at the expense of my daughter who is really not prepared for life.

Stupid cult.

Posted by: emmasm ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 02:46PM

That is so sad. It almost made me cry

This is one of the huge reasons I get so angry at the church!!

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: March 01, 2011 01:00AM

That's way too sad...

stormy

Posted by: npangel ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 01:11PM

Rod,
She will regret this for the rest of her life. When she whines about what she gave up, (and she will), tell her to just think about the blessings she will receive in the next life and suck up the crap her DH pours on her when she is fat, no make-up, and is on an anti-depressant before 30!!!

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 02:33PM

and its just so very sad that this male dominated religion is so sexist, pathetic, and a cult.

Posted by: SithLordDaddy ( )
Date: February 28, 2011 03:12PM

Uggg!!! That's what gets my wife and I both really pissed off about this cult!! We made a lot of good friends when we were still mormon, but what killed us were the stay at home mom's who are downright resentful and pissy they got stuck at home while their hubbies work.

My wife told the women in RS she was going to finish her BS degree and there was nothing but backbiting and hostility that she finished. She even got called a "bad mother" for putting our youngest in daycare so she could return to college.

No wonder all the morg women look unhappy when they think no one's watching them.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 01, 2011 09:21AM

I know a guy who's two sons got married very young, before they were capable of standing on their own two feet. They both, along with their wives, still live with him. Nightmare...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.