Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: March 01, 2011 11:38PM

I spent a lot of time reviewing documents and survey information for the last new thread I posted. The post was actually to recognize that your thesis was feasible based on the numbers reviewed. It didn’t seem to be taken that way, but it rather spawned a mindless attack against the thesis and the numbers. I apologize for my part in that.

It concerns me greatly that 31% of US citizens consider the Bible to be inerrant and word for word the word of God (Fundamentalists). It causes me greater concern that 60+% believe the creation myth. I never would have guessed that. Whether they are true "Fundamentalists" or not really doesn't matter. Apparently people are not giving up the Old Testament, let alone the New Testament, which was the point you were trying to make before the thread got hi-jacked; I think that is simply appalling. I live in Louisville Kentucky, a few miles from the Creation Museum and soon to come, the Creation Theme Park with the interactive Noah’s Ark. My wife, friends and I are disturbed that this is expected to be a great attraction for people across the country. The numbers I ran were simply to figure out how the numbers could be so different, not to cast dispersions on your post.

I am an educated person, as is my wife. My wife is faculty at a state university and I have multiple degrees and am a CPA. The people I know and are friends with are knowledgeable, educated people. To see that the south (where I live) has such fundamentalistic views was disturbing to me. That is not what I have experienced from the people I know in Louisville. If 60+% of the American people believe the creation myth, I guess we deserve to become a second rate country. That is pure ignorance.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2011 09:46AM by Jim Huston.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 12:15AM

Jim Huston, thanks for your threads. Like you, I find it disturbing that people get insulted and upset when you question mythology. Though less educated than you, I have an Associate Degree in Liberal arts and am a certified Electrician. I long ago abandoned mystical theology and moved into the realm of causality.

My studies have guided me toward an a+b=c kind of philosophy. Cause plus effect equals outcome. I too am offended that many of the people in my society believe in spiritism and esoteric knowledge. That is, they believe you have to go through a system of hazing and rank to advance intellectually. You don't learn in steps and by homework, they think. You just get rank by aging and attending useless meetings.

We wouldn't be able to put two bricks together with pat of mortar by that kind of thinking.

I think of it like the contrast between an MLM spokesman and a carpenter.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 12:03PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 12:15PM

Pardon the Godwin violation, but I think it must have been like this in Germany in the 30s. People got into a massively hateful group think based on pure negative emotion instead of reason.

I don't see the outcome of our slide to ignorance and hate being any better.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 12:28PM

(always enjoy your stuff, btw)

Pretty scary in my mind as well. Rather encouraging, however, that more and more folks are seeing through the haze!

Given what's going on in the rest of the world, history may well look back on this time as the first "real" Great Awakening.

Still gotta get past "cause the bible says so" though. From my chair the numbers aren't so diminished as some suggest.

Always a pleasure, Jim.

Timothy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.