Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 04:31PM

http://www.archive.org/stream/mormonmonsterors00folk/mormonmonsterors00folk_djvu.txt

One (long) snippet to wet your appetite:

Dr. W. Wyl says: "It is now a well established historical fact that the origin of Mormon polygamy, or 'celestial marriage/ was nothing but the unbounded and ungoverned passion of the prophet for the other sex."

Mr. Webb, an old Mormon, who knew Smith for eleven years, told Dr. Wyl: "Joseph [Smith] and John D. Lee were the most libidinous men I ever knew."

Mrs. Sarah M. Pratt, a Mormon woman who resisted Smith's advances — about the only one who ever did — and who was slandered and persecuted for doing so, said: "Joseph was the most licentious and Brigham Young the most bloodthirsty of men." Dr. Wyl once said to Mrs. Pratt: "I have seen a statement in a book that Joseph had eighty wives at the time of his death. Is that true ?"

Mrs. Pratt smiled and said : "He had many more, my dear sir; at least he had seduced many more, and those with whom he had lived without their being sealed to him, were sealed to him after his death, to be among the number of his 'queens' in the other world. All those women were divided among his friends after his tragic death, so that they might be 'proxy-husbands' to them on earth ; while in the celestial kingdom they would, with their offspring, belong to Brother Joseph, the Christ of this dispensation."

Again Mrs. Pratt said : "Everybody knew in Nauvoo that the Partridge girls lived with Joseph a long time before he got his celebrated revelation about celestial marriage, dated July 12, 1843. The Partridge girls were very good natured. After Joseph's death one was sealed to Brigham and the other to Apostle Amasa Lyman. Joseph's taste was of very large dimensions ; he loved them old and young, pretty and homely. He sometimes seduced mothers to keep them quiet about his connection with their daughters. There was an old woman called Durfee. She knew a good deal about the prophet's amorous adventures and, to keep her quiet, he admitted her to the secret blessings of celestial bliss. I don't think that she was ever sealed to him, though it may have been the case after Joseph's death, when the temple was finished. At all events, she boasted here in Salt Lake of having been one of Joseph's wives. Heber C. Kimball and Brigham Young took the lion's share at the division of Joseph's wives after his death. Joseph had a number of lady friends, sealed or not sealed, who permitted him to use their houses as a kind of assignation houses for rendezvous with other women."

Heber C. Kimball, Brigham Young's right-hand man, said : "I sat once with Joseph in his office in the Mansion House. He looked out of the window and saw weeding in a garden a young married woman whom we both knew. He told me to go to her and request her to come to him, and he would have her sealed to himself this very moment. I went and told the woman to come to Brother Joseph. She ran to the house to comb her hair and 'fix up' generally, and then followed me to the prophet. I performed the sealing ceremony and retired."

...Here are some other testimonies gathered by Dr. Wyl,
showing the condition of affairs in Nauvoo at this time :

Mr. W. :

"There were many small rooms, with beds, in the temple in Nauvoo. They turned the house of the Lord into a house of prostitution. The wife of Amasa Lyman, apostle and apostate, used to say that they had many little bedrooms in the temple, and that the newly-sealed couples used to retire to these rooms with provisions for two or three days."

"Amasa Lyman, the apostle, who later became a Vile apostate,' told me that Joseph, Brigham Young, and other apostles used to dance in the Endowment House with the Lord's 'handmaids,' their spiritual wives. Those dances were performed in Adamic costume, and a fiddler was 'ordained and set apart' for the purpose. I knew this to be an absolute fact ; it has been confirmed to me by other well-informed persons."

Mrs. P. :

"You hear often that Joseph had no polygamous offspring. The reason of this is very simple. Abortion was practiced on a large scale in Nauvoo. Dr. John C. Bennett, the evil genius of Joseph, brought this abomination into a scientific system. He showed to my husband and me the instruments with which he used to 'operate for Joseph/ There was a house in Nauvoo, 'right across the flat,' about a mile and a half from the town, a kind of hospital. They sent the women there when they showed signs of celestial consequences. Abortion was practiced regularly in this house."

Mrs. H. :

''Many little bodies of new-born children floated down the Mississippi."

Mrs. Pratt : "You should bear in mind that Joseph did not think of a marriage or sealing ceremony for many years. He used to say to his intended victims, as he did tome:

'God does not care if we have a good time, if only other people do not know it.' He only introduced a marriage ceremony when he had found out that he could not get certain women without it. I think Louisa Beeman was the first case of this kind. If any woman, like me, opposed his wishes, he used to say : 'Be silent, or I shall ruin your character. My character must be sustained in the interest of the church.' "

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 05:32PM

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 05:50PM

:hurl:

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 06:20PM

with all this horse$h!t from Joseph Smith. He was obviously just a horn dog who would stick it into any female that he could. Were all these women so browbeat in a patriarchal culture that Smith could abuse his power practically at whim, e.g., Kimball's sealing him and "retiring" so the prophet could get his rocks off. How could these women go along with this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 06:20PM by derrida.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 02:34PM

Women still accept that polygamy at that time was God ordained and aye okay hunky dory without it even occurring to them the men would enjoy an endless trough of women at their disposal whenever they wanted. How can that thought not even occur to them? They look at it like it was right to use us in that way and that our Heavenly Father thinks that is all his daughters deserve. I'm not sure how they can conjur up those tears for Joseph as such a wonderful and dear prophet in the relief society lessons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2011 02:37PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:28AM

And yes, he was the father of Ann Elixa Webb Dee Young who wrote "Wife No. 19" about her marriage to Brigham Young...

Jane Law, the wife of William Law of Nauvoo Expositor fame, was another who probably resisted Joseph's charms...

Anyway, here's a free cab ride to the top for this one...

Posted by: Raven ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:50PM

and this is the man that morbots worship?

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:56PM

Wow...did he really have over 80 wives?

If that is true, I really need to brush up on my church history.

Date: January 31, 2011 01:04PM

She was also an old woman and estranged from her husband, Orson... She clearly hated polygamy, and that may have fueled a bit of exaggeration...

I think the original stuff she was saying is credible (and we know JS smeared her, claiming she was having an affair with John C. Bennett, with whom she was probably friendly, but many women maintain friendships with "bad boys" without sleeping with them), but by the time Wyl interviewed her she had been isolated in the Salt Lake Valley for a long time...

The lesson for historians on this one is to seek as much confirmation as possible, and in the case of JS, we can be certain of his sexual excesses...

Edit: Link...

Ah, I see the Mormonites haven't infested this new corner of Wiki yet... Yeah verily, the Cabbie doth prophesy... But until then...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Marinda_Bates_Pratt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 01:08PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 01:35PM

... Money, Power, Fame, and Sex ...

It's the oldest story on Earth. How can Mormons be so blind?

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:12PM

A recent convert to Mormonism, Mr. Frank S. Johnson,
makes the following statement, viz. :

excerpt..
"President Snow, the Mouthpiece of God, Prophet, Seer
and Revelator, came up to conference at Preston. I
thought, Now we will hear something good ; if he does
speak for God, he will surely say something good and help-
ful. But to my surprise he did not. He talked all the
time about tithing. They must pay up. It was money,
money, money all the time ; no Gospel at all ; nothing about
the love of God ; nothing about our Savior whom I loved.
I was sick and disheartened."

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:24PM

I liked this part best:

"Mormonism. This is a travesty upon the name of religion, a stench in the nostrils of decency, a constantly running sore, an immense octopus reaching out its slimy tentacles and seeking to seize hold upon our religious, social and political institutions, an ugly and misshapen monster. This is not so bad as the saloon, only because it is not so widely extended. But where it exists its influence is even more baneful than that of
the saloon, because touching more lives with its deadly
hand."

It's worse than a saloon!

Just sayin'...

Ron

Date: March 08, 2011 01:54AM

Uncle Dale Broadhurst has posted Dr. Wyl's book here...

http://olivercowdery.com/smithhome/1886WWyl.htm

>Joseph Smith: The Prophet; His Family and Friends

I first posted this link on a thread where I detailed how Mormon revisionists (I refuse to call them historians) routinely smear legitimate writers such as Dr. Wyl and J.H. Beadle, dismissing them as "anti's." No doubt they would ashcan this one as having been published by that vicious bastion of anti-Mormon Journalism, The Salt Lake Tribune (the 19th century version bears little resemblance to the 21st Century journal, and my theory is the church changed the Trib's DNA).

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,5317,5317,quote=1

And Allen Wyatt and the FAIR crowd have nothing on this yayhoo...

http://www.josephsmithspolygamy.com/26Accusers/WilhelmWyl.html

You all be sure to note "I Believe's" post above; back in the rough and tumble early days of RFM, stuff like that was routine...Not an iota of fact to support the charges, just some testimony bearing... I know it's true because I know it's true...

Hey there, Believer, be careful...Hanging around here can be deadly to one's testimony...

As you are, we once were...

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 02:11PM

Thank you for posting this information. It makes me sick, but I have to eat this kind a stop to stay informed. Joseph was a asshole.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 02:31PM

Just tried to post and I don't think it made it. Please forgive if this seems to be a repeat.

I don't think that the numbers (actual count) of celestial brides one of these philanderers claimed makes a difference. The propositioning of one girl or woman to enter into a bigamous, adulterous, fornicating relationship would be enough to condemn any man.

The practice of celestial marriage was filthy then and remains filthy to this day. Please don't mistake the fact that the church still advocates for polygyny, if not for now (openly), it still advocates for the future and in the eternities. Every "worthy priesthood holder" knows that if he plays his cards right, he will have his pick of brides in the hereafter. Filthy then, filthy now.

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: March 08, 2011 09:00PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.