Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kristine ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 09:28PM

I just came back from an Ash Wednesday Service at my church. Do the LDS acknowledge Ash Wednesday? They claim to be Christians and Ash Wednesday is a very Christian observance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 09:34PM

Nope. I remember in high school one of my friends was really embarrassed/annoyed when she came to school with the ash cross on her forehead and spent the whole day explaining what it was. She was Catholic and this was in an almost entirely Mormon school. That was probably the first time I had even heard of Ash Wednesday.

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 09:40PM

not a Christian thing.

Anyways, the answer is definitely no. Although, mormons be celebrating Michael Ash all year long.

Posted by: Daphne ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 09:47PM

Episcopalians, some Lutherans, and some UCC Churches also observe Ash Wednesday.

Date: March 09, 2011 09:52PM

I should have known that.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 09:56PM

It is not just a Catholic thing. Many Protestant churches hold a service on that day and some do the "ash" on the forehead too.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 09:42PM

She has a black smudge on her forehead.

But she's not religious.

Posted by: Kristine ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 09:52PM

Freevolved: Although Ash Wednesday is mainly a Catholic observance, some Protestant denominations observe the day also, the Aglecan, Episcapalian and certainly the Lutheran (which is my faith). And Skunk Puppet, I am sorry your German Shepherd is not religious. I have a grandson bull dog (my daughter's dog) and he is bulliterian!

Date: March 09, 2011 09:57PM

I thought it was kinda cool when I first found out about it. Also, they should observe fish frys...mmm, yummy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2011 09:58PM by Freevolved.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 10:20PM

I had to do some research at the University of Miami's law library and my dog helped me German Shepherdize a bunch of cases. Haw haw haw. That's a lame lawyer joke.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 03:21PM

at THE U !! i live less than two miles from there... and as a side note..... Judge Alex my BIL gradgiated from there! (UM)...:) maybe sometime we ought to get together!! :)
and he doesnt have any ash wednesday marks....but i have a chow chow who loves other dogs.... just not people so much!! :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 03:22PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 10:13PM

It was my first observance of Ash Wednesday too. I found it to be quite spiritual--the one I attended was done in the "Taize" style which is meditative. Loved the new experience--love gaining new perspectives.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: March 09, 2011 10:52PM

All the Mormons I knew in Louisiana wouldn't miss the fun of Mardi Gra! At least the parades and food!
So I guess a lot of non-Catholics observe the seasonal festivities surrounding 'Ash Wednesday"!

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 01:52PM

I am not surprised that Mormons do not observe Ash Wednesday. The Gospel reading for this day is always Matthew 6:1-6,16-21 where Jesus says to avoid many practices that Mormons consider as virtues.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 03:24PM

I find Mormons here will celebrate anytying with food like hot cross buns but past that nothing.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 03:31PM

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 03:39PM

Only tithing required is pets and loves to Dachshunds. And all other living creatures while yer at it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 03:40PM

Come on...don't we get enough of Ash in his Monday articles?
Don't give him Wednesdays as well...

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 03:42PM

TBM's don't notice Lent at all, or the pancake dinners at some churches on Mardi Gras. It's not just Catholics that do the ash thing and observe Lent, there are several Protestant denominations that do as well. Since I come from a half Catholic, half Episcopalian family, I knew what Ash Wednesday and Lent were even if my parents didn't participate.

Posted by: kmackie ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 04:49PM

I was a little astonished when I joined TSSC,it was february and when I was in relief society asked about what services were on for shrove tuesday and ash wednesday,you'd have thought I'd asked how to get to the moon,should have took note then and left,anyway gets to CARLIN SUNDAY which is a week before Palm Sunday and thought I'd be a bit of a rebel and ask what services were being held,another group of blank faces.to crown it all asked about Maunday Thursday and Good Friday,zilch,nothing,was taken aside and told that I should let my anglican doctrines go or I would never gain a full testimony of the gospel,prats

Posted by: kristine ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 05:57PM

Sandie: Strange that a Lutheran Church would not do the ashes. It is ELCA or Missouri Synod? My church does the whole thing: Pancake supper, Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday,Maudy Thursday, Good Friday Tennebrae Survice and hugh celebrations (3 Services) on Easter Sunday including sunrise service. Very close to the Catholics. All very spiritual. One of my granddaughters is in confirmation study this year and we are supporting her through all these services and observances.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 06:01PM

Nobody else cares.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.