Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:22PM

If you look in the phone book, you see numbers for the foyer, the ward, the seminary, etc.

And I know there's the stakehouse...

Could someone explain the way TSCC is set up for us nevermos? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:42PM

Wards are the typical congregation, they are run by the bishop.

If an area isnt big enough to have a ward, they have branches. They are run by a branch president.

Stakes are made up of several wards, usually 8-10 range. A stake is run by a stake president.

An area president covers several stakes, I think area presidents are general authorities. I could be wrong on that though.

When you see seminary buildings, they are not meeting houses so much as they are classrooms. They are usually next to a high school so the students can leave during school and attend a seminary class. No sunday worship services are held in seminary buildings.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:52PM

In addition to the above there are regions, usually controlled by 70s and sometimes an apostle here and there. Within those regions are missions controlled by a mission presidency. In areas outside of N America and Europe where the member numbers and or resources are to low to justify a "stake" they have Districts which are overseen by a district presidency which answers to the missiom president. Districts are divided into Branches who are overseen by branch presidents (often a missionary).

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:50PM

Thanks. Why would there be a phone number for the foyer? And how many people in a ward?

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:56PM

The foyer number rings in the hall, anyone will answer it and usually find the person you are trying to reach. Before cell phones, it was the easiest way to reach someone that was at a church activity. Not sure it is really a necessity now.

As far as ward sizes, I think it is around 500 +/-. Someone else might be able to answer that one better than me. I was never super special enough to be privy to those kinds of things.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 04:53AM

I think you may live in a Mormon stronghold.
The average Ward attendance in the UK is nearer >50 <100.

More people go watch Manchester United on a Saturday than the total UK Sacrament attendance on a Sunday...

Local clergy are volunteers who don't get paid.
Bishop - in charge of a Ward (small congregation of members)
Stake President - in charge of a Stake (6/7 Wards)

Above that, they all get paid (company cars, company credit cards etc) and are full time. As you rise up the ranks you get paid more and receive more perks, such as chauffeurs and residences.
Area Seventy - in charge of a geographic group of Stakes
Seventy - not really sure what they do
Apostle - in charge of preaching and parts of the Church's commercial empire
First Presidency - head honcho, earns the most, Penthouse pad in SLC

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.