Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:08PM

What is the deal with today's LDS members talking about how people of other faiths are good people and have lots of light and truth, they just need a little more?! Since leaving TSCC and deciding to attend another church, I've heard this more times than I can count.

The LDS leaders of days gone by have got to be rolling over in their graves. What part of every other church's creeds are an abomination, any church other than the LDS church is the devil's church, the pope and priests will all be cast down to hell, etc etc etc do these modern day Mormons not understand?

Or were Joseph, Brigham and Bruce - not to mention Heavenly Father and Jesus - just speaking as men when they said this stuff? Just another major change to the 'everlasting gospel' that members just put up on the shelf and ignore. (I've wondered if Joseph or Brigham would even recognize TSCC today if they were alive).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elee ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 07:20PM

This appears to be the replacement for "one and only true church of christ on the planet". In public, at any rate.

All churches have some of the truth, but only the mormons have all of the truth.

Google around the apologetic boards if you'd like to see this mopologetic in action. The most tortuous one I've seen recently was to claim that the abominable creeds only referred to the select churches in JS's immediate vicinity which he, himself, had investigated.

Yeah.

Mopologetics pains me deeply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 07:21PM by elee.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 08:31PM

30And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually—

31For I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance;

Not a lot of tolerance there.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 08:35PM

Better than the vast majority of other religions, Mormonism changes.

Of course, they change in a way that makes people think they haven't changed, via effective brainwashing techniques, but at least they change.

To a certain extent, yes, they are more accepting of other faiths. This is not a bad thing, it is a positive thing.

It is a good thing that they accepted Black people into the priesthood.

It is a good thing that they stopped the practice of polygamy. Specifically, it is really good that they stopped forcing 14 year olds to get married.

It is a good thing that they are trying to be more mainstream, because history shows that this will lead to a greater acceptance of homosexuality.

...and yes, they were all speaking as men. Fake prophets, liars, etc :)

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 09:51PM

I will NEVER say one good thing about mormonism. The bad far outweights any possible or perceived good.

The changes they make only go to show what liars they were in the first place. If God was leading the church they would have changed things, through revelation, way before issues became politically expedient. So the changes are really just proof that God has never spoken to mormon profits, ever!

They are liars and deceivers, and I do not think the mo church is one bit better than any other church on earth, and probably worse than most.

The bottom line is that through their lies and deceit they are ripping families like mine apart, and I hate what they have done and continue to do. I dispise the leaders of the mo church, the members are just ignorant, and it is not really their fault.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 09:57PM by think4u.

Date: March 10, 2011 09:54PM

You say that lying is worse. I say that homophobia and racism are worse. Sorry that lying has affected you more though.

I'm certainly not doubting that Mormons are liars. Of course they are. To me, it is worth it to allow their changes, as long as they aren't turning into more harmful individuals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2011 09:55PM by snb.

Date: March 10, 2011 10:04PM

I just refuse to give them credit for changing things and then pretending God told them to. We all come from different places, and they have made my life a living hell. If I were gay or black, I would have nothing whatsoever to do with them.

They have no business sticking their nose into political issues.

If they did not lie, however, they would no longer exist. The mopologists are what keep them afloat. They take a stand on nothing, so they can never be proven wrong later. I will never give them one ounce of credit for anything whatsoever.

Date: March 10, 2011 10:15PM

Why can't we have both? There is no dichotomy between ignoring, or hating, their ridiculous claims (such as God never changes), and recognizing the social change.

If you look at it objectively, it is quite interesting. I can't think of a single other church that can change so radically, yet brainwash its members so well that they rarely perceive the changes.

I hope you don't feel like I am trying to attack you. Sorry they've put you through so much.

One last little disclaimer: I think my original post comes off as praising them. I don't praise the Mormon church, they have done nothing to really deserve it. I am just recognizing the changes they made as good for everybody.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 10:07PM

I have to disagree with the other churchs don't change thing. Llook into the history of catholic Ecumenical Councils alone. They have changed alot in just the last 100 years, I would say far more than the mormons have. Most Christian denominations hold such councils to settle doctrinal issues and realign themselves with the times or to repudiate ideas or practicen they find newly objectional. They also acknowledge that the changes are a result of the councils instead of pretending that it waas some magic visitation from god herself.

Date: March 10, 2011 10:22PM

Other churches change, of course they do. To survive, churches have to change, mainstream, and become more like the society around them. Every church that we have today has changed radically, otherwise it wouldn't be here.

Though, I think it could be argued that in the Mormon church's short history, they have changed more than other churches have in the same timeframe. Mormonism used to be a separatist, small, polygamist and racist. Now it appears to be none of these, though a lot of good arguments can be made that looks can be deceiving.

Hell, it took Catholocism hundreds and hundreds of years to switch to the vernacular.

However, other churches change in a way that is obvious to its members. The Baptist church apologized for its treatment of black people. The Mormon church will never have to.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 10, 2011 09:34PM

And if being part of one of those other churches, or just a good secular person isn't all that bad--then why put up with the intrusive, time-intensive crap in Mormonism? Satan must have power over the apologists to suggest such a thing.

This is again the inside outside dynamic of communication present in Mormonism and other groups with cult like charachteristics. This is an outside message. Intended to assuage any notions that Mormons are arrogant, biggotted etc. The inside message they want people to take in, I think, still is that LDS, Inc. is the one true church and without it you are lost.

Posted by: Devorah ( )
Date: March 11, 2011 05:04AM

A veritable TON of writings and teachings from the olden days of the church have been whitewashed, glossed over, erased and bleached out. All anyone has to do is get their hands on old copies of Mormon Doctrine to see that! Good luck though. The org has been quite diligent in weeding them out of ward libraries. I can vouch for this from personal experience.

Date: March 11, 2011 10:42AM

Yeah, rolling around in there with all of their wives.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.