Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 11:54PM

We are moved by a higher law. They talk sometimes about a higher law in the States. Greeley is a great man
to talk about a higher law, which means, with him, stealing (N-word)s. We do not care anything about that. We
want to do something better − something higher and more noble. That is rather too low for us; consequently
they need not be afraid of our stealing their (N-word)s: we will let them have all the benefits of them as one of
the grand institutions of Christians, together with the amalgamating process as another of the institutions of
Christianity. And another grand institution they have among them is prostitution.
JD 5:158, John Taylor, August 23, 1857
--------------

There is not a man, from the President of the United States to the Editors of their sanctorums, clear down to
the low−bred letter−writers in this Territory, but would rob the coppers from a dead (N-word)'s eyes, if they had
a good opportunity. If I had the command of thunder and lightning, I would never let one of the damned
scoundrels get here alive.
JD 5:111, George Albert Smith, August 2, 1857
-------------

... [speaking of prostituton]Well, so it is; and
this (N-word)ism in the South is about the same kind of thing, only a change of colour.
JD 5:158, John Taylor, August 23, 1857
-------------

Brother Robbins also spoke of what they term the "(N-word) drivers and (N-word) worshippers," and observed how
keen their feelings are upon their favourite topic slavery. The State of New York used to be a slave State, but
there slavery has for some time been abolished.
JD 4:39, Brigham Young, August 31, 1856

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 12:50AM

MY GOD!

HOW can people be this way? There are still people who feel like this!

How can people hate so much?

Posted by: SayHi2Kolob4Me ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 01:00AM

It makes me sick that this is the religion that my parents forced on me.
And that these men are revered by my family and loved ones. What will they say when I show them these quotes? Oh, I know.

"Those were different times. People were different back then. Their knowledge was limited."

So these prophets were talking to god but he never bothered to tell them how much their racist beliefs suck?!?!!?!!?!?

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 07:39PM

The problem for your family is, this simply is not true.

Abolition was primarily a religious movement. There were Christians using the Bible to show slavery was anti-Christian well before JS and his silly-ass gold plates.

Abolition and Slavery were the hot topic of conversation for a long while before the Civil War. Both in Europe and the U.S.

The fact is, many early Mormon leaders simply did not support abolition. They supported slavery in spite of the cultural battle raging around them. And they were on the wrong side of history, just like everyone else who supported slavery at that time in the face of widespread Christian support for abolition.

Though I don't know we can lump JS into the racist category, we most certainly can and should place several of the subsequent prophets into this category. They could have taken up the abolitionist cause and no one would have batted an eye. It was a typical thing for upstart religions to do. But they did not. I would even go so far as to say they explicitly chose to support the slavery position.

So, when Mormons lay this line of bullshit on you, fight back. They are not only being dishonest about mormon culture, they are outright lying about U.S. history and why they couldn't stand up for abolition.

This is a good place to begin:

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/african/afam005.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2011 07:39PM by elee.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 04:37AM

Hmmm...

Just how 'kind' and 'civil' was the proposition 8 campaign that the Church ran...

Just how 'kind' and 'civil' has the Church been to black people...

Just how 'kind' is the Church towards the poor and the needy in comparison to how 'kind' it is towards the City Creek Mall...

Posted by: xr ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 05:05AM

it's good to be out.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 07:26PM

If Monson or Hinckley used the N word as these men did, would the members think it was okay? And if anyone complained about Hinckley or Monson for using the N word, would they be labelled as Anti"?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.