Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 04:48PM

Church shows that it totally cares about missionaries, and moves them due to radiation.

"Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said the missionaries will be moved three times the distance recommended by the Japanese government to keep them safe from radiation."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14743094

How big of them. There are potentially 3 reactors facing melt down, and two are presently spewing radiation, and they move the missionaries sixty miles, but keep them there.

I have always been a nonconformist, and I certainly hope that even when I was TBMish That I would have said, "Screw SLC, I'm getting my kid out of there."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 04:59PM

Date: March 15, 2011 05:03PM

I agree, get them all the way out of there.

The last distance that I saw the Japanese Government evacuating was 18 miles. So the Church moves them 54 miles?

I'll bet if there was a nuclear meltdown in SLC that was threatened, the big guys would go further away than Nephi. They'd get them and their families to Hawaii probably.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 05:49PM

But madiran, <sarcasm> remember that disasters are the BEST time to snag new members. What are a few radiated missionaries if it happens in service to the Lord?

And DNA is right: "I'll bet if there was a nuclear meltdown in SLC that was threatened, the big guys would go further away than Nephi. They'd get them and their families to Hawaii probably."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2011 07:39PM by WiserWomanNow.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 05:15PM

That is: whether any Mormon missionaries--what with their special, DOCUMENTED divine powers of protection--would be staying behind to assist at the damaged reactors:

"Handful of 'heroes' battles to keep nuclear plant under control"

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/15/japan.nuclear.reactors/index.html?hpt=T1

Okay, maybe I am being just a TAD cynical ... even for RfM!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 05:50PM

Fetal Deity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>... maybe I am being just a TAD cynical ... even for RfM!

That is not possible. :)

Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 06:07PM

...that they would only be irradiated on the parts of their bodies that the garments don't cover. Maybe they could cover their heads with a pair of garment bottoms to protect all of the vital areas.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 06:53PM

Then they wouldn't have to bother with the yellow helper shirts.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 02:35PM

Just curious. :D

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 03:34PM

when you care to send the very best!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 06:00PM

I hope I wouldn't be so "obedient", as a missionary or a member, as to endanger my health in this way.

Whenever there's a disaster and those who can flee do so, such as getting out of Haiti after the quake. Foreign visitors and temporary workers (such as tourists and teachers) feel bad at leaving the locals behind but still they return to their own countries for safety or at least far away from the endangered area, the rational thing to do.

Most organizations and foreign govts pull some or all of their people out in the face of major natural disasters. My rule of thumb is if the embassy staff is leaving an area that's a good clue for everyone who can get out to get out.

I've long been distressed reading the accounts of RMs who fight multi-year or even life-long health problems after their mission (such as those who return from South America, for example, with stubborn parasites that take years to overcome). However, potentially coming home with radiation exposure or even radiation sickness (!) takes the cake.

You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em, as the song says.

Once again we see that the Mormon Church does not put the safety of its personnel above all other considerations, like more informed and rational organizations do.

Even if you believe in an afterlife, what's the big rush to get there? Mormon doctrines seem to encourage some Mormons, including top leaders, to de-value mortal life. I guess it's always been too easy to throw away young lives, if they aren't your own or those of your loved ones. Too many leaders through the ages have precipitously sent young people into war and other dangers. You'd hope the Mormon leaders would value the lives of their young folks more.

I'd love to see some Mormon parents start yanking their mishie kids back home in the face of quake, tsunami, deprivation, danger, death, and now nuclear meltdown. (What would it take to cause a wholesale failure to obey, I wonder).

Besides, when people are shocked, injured, thirsty, hungry, grief-stricken, destitute, diseased, desperate and fearful, and you knock on their door (if they have one left) would they not rather you were bringing physical sustenance than religious claims or empty philosophy at such a time? There is such a thing as being appropriate to the situation and in the case of Japan these days, that would mean arriving as a first responder or other helper, not coming clueless and empty-handed. I know that many religious people think it's the best time to proselytize but to me that's always seemed insensitive in the extreme. The Bible even says to feed hungry people as a first response. Nowhere does it say to wade in preaching.

So - Monson - let your people go! Home! I'd give them a pass for the remainder of their mission and count anyone who's survived through Japan's disaster and imminent nuclear meltdown as having served an "honourable" mission, end of story.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2011 06:15PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 06:45PM

depending on which way the winds blow in Japan right now, there IS no safe place to relocate to within Japan.

They need to get out of Japan. But TSCC doesn't want to pay for the travel.

Date: March 15, 2011 09:12PM

I just wish that the parents would bring them home like RIGHT NOW!

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 02:19PM

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 09:48PM

It'll take one of these kids to come home with radiation sickness and say somethig to the effect of... "I was told i'd only have a good life if I went on a mission now I wont have much of a life at all."

Posted by: Dave in Long Beach ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 02:09PM

Were the members evacuated from the radiation zone too, or do they just not count as much as the missionaries? Or maybe they don't actually HAVE any members in that part of Japan? Hmmm...

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 02:24PM

he be sent home immediately.
There is no excuse for leaving missionaries in an earth quake, tsunami, radiation leak problem area. NONE!!!!

Posted by: General Smith ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 02:33PM

I served my mission in haiti from '03 - '05, right when hurricane madness and political unrest were exploding (Aristide was driven out of the country). Haiti wasn't in 1/10th the state of chaos that Japan was in and my ass was on a plane to North Carolina the same day Aristide left the country. This just blows my mind.

Seriously: eff those guys.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: March 16, 2011 03:46PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they were to send more missionaries. Nothing like a suffering people to spread mormonism to.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.