Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 12:00PM

The brainwashing or mind control we talk about on this board robs individuals and families to build and strengthen a destructive religious cult.

But knowing this sometimes frightens parents and teachers into thinking they should not have influence on their children's development when in fact, this is a primary part of their job as responsible in charge adults.

How can we know when our influence is positive or negative?

By asking the questions: Are we trying to help this child develop his/her own authenticity? Are we trying to help develop skills and purpose for a better life?

Or are we trying to provide mainly for our own convenince? Our image? Our own personal fulfillment? And/or to build those things because of a church/cult?

I think as parents we need to tell our kids stories and cautionary tales about being honest and decent, kind and giving. We don't need to back off from explaining to them about our values or the expectations of the larger community they'll have to navagate as adults.

When I was a teacher, I tried my best to brainwash children to want to learn and to use their talents. We sang songs and enjoyed stories about cooperation and trying hard in life. We said little rhymes and wrote stories about hopes and dreams, courage and caring and about contributing to society. I'd call this brainwahsing, but the good kind. I think it helped the children find the best they had to give and build on it for their own benefit and for others generally.

Some parents are so afraid of the mind control the morg uses that they back off from their duty of influencing their children. I would hope that everyone would think about the difference between helping kids for their own best intersts and not confuse that with trying to force them into a cult image for the sake of the cult agenda.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deb 49 ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 12:16PM

After reading/researching all, including this board(which helped me to decide)(tks. to all of you)The brainwashing, along w/control of your life, temple events, etc. helped me to "see the light"It's so scary, knowing some of the stuff i know as of yet. even though y'all on this board have seen/known so much more, what i've read here as well as books, internet, etc. scared me.

Posted by: athreehourdoor ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 01:01PM

I think is a big difference between brainwashing and influence. influence candy good or bad, brainwashing is always negative because it destroys people. you can influence someone without even talking to them simply by being a model of what you believe

Posted by: Mormer Formon ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 01:51PM

I agree that brainwashing is always bad.

The answer, in my opinion, is to teach HOW to learn - not WHAT to learn. Then back that up with real facts/stories.

If we teach children how to develop the techniques of learning then they will become lifelong students. If we teach them what they need to know they will think they know it all and/or simply rely on their role models for instruction.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 02:42PM

Babies know instictively how to learn by watching their parents and siblings, by listening to sounds around them, by touching their mommy's clothing when they're fed, and by tasting whatever they can get into their mouth.

But we don't withhold learning until we can teach them how to learn and we teach them our values through the same methods that cults use to control members. The difference is that we don't force the babies to accept our interpretation once they've developed enough to voice differing opinions and we don't force them to think or behave in ways that help us or a cult but that don't meet their needs.

Cult brainwashing benefits the cult.

Healthy parental or educational influence (using many of the same techniques as cult mind control) benefits and respects the individual's needs above and beyond those of the parent/religion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.