Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 12:51AM

If person X will just READ the book of Mormon, they'll join the church and be so happy.

Even though we all thought the book of Mormon was groin punchingly boring, and the 15 minutes a day of suggested "scripture time" was torture.

I remember thinking that. Cog dis like donkey piss.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: freegirl10 ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 02:14AM

Ohhh, I just could NOT bring myself to place a Book of Mormon in anyone's hands - especially a close friend. I convinced my best friend to take the missionary discussions once. I tagged along to observe, just KNOWING that my dearest friend was going to love what the missionaries had to say and would end up joining the church. About 10 minutes into the lesson, I remember her saying to the missionary, "so you're telling me that your church is the ONLY true church?" I waited with baited breath, so certain that the missionary would say something profound. His reply? "Yes". I could audibly hear the wall come crashing down between us. She didn't want to hear anything else. Needless to say, NOW I am ever so grateful that she didn't listen to anything more. Wish I had had that kind of sense.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 02:58AM

I would have felt like the world's biggest hypocrite, as the book was so eye-crossingly dull that I couldn't finish it myself.

I never understood how other people could go into such raptures about it, reading it day after day. I figured, of course, that the deficiency was in MY spirit.

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 07:00AM

I think I am one of very few persons who has actually given a Book of Mormon TO a missionary!

Well, we traded. I had one with a white cover, which he wanted. So I got his blue, and he got mine.

But still I feel special.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 07:33AM

I used to read it a lot. If I was in a bad place mentally, it gave me comfort. I don't know why. Perhaps it was simply that I felt I was doing something good and that made me feel good about myself.

I gave it to my Dad once, feeling sure that it would inspire him. I asked, "Well?" He replied, "Violent little book, isn't it?"

I was so startled by that answer. My brain knew he was right, but at the same time, it went, "Answer does not compute." I guess that's a good description of cog dis. LOL

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 08:06AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2011 08:07AM by ozpoof.

Posted by: maj b not logged in ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 08:08AM

I gave one to my 9th grade english teacher when I was a kid. Helpin' ezra flood the earth. What a dope I was back then!

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 08:22AM

And it came to pass, yea even in the fifty and fourth year of the reign of the judges, for it was even twenty and two years since the sign had been given, and it was also a time of much wickedness in the land, yea even the Lamanites had waxed strong in their iniquities, and committed many whoredoms and abominations against the children of men, that I, even Nephi, for I am named after my father Nephi, and behold he was a descendant of Nephi, but I make not a full account of his dealings in this record, yea, I proceedeth to make an account...zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah, I can see how reading it makes you happy.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 08:32AM

Now, knowing Joseph Smith's true personality, we can really see his obsession with whoredoms and abominations, even in a supposedly religious book.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 10:06AM

;)

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 10:14AM

The Book of Mormon came up in conversation with my mom and dad the other day (talking about baby names from scriptures). My dad says, "I read the Book of Mormon once. It was the most violent book I've ever read. I thought, seriously, this is supposed to be a religious book? Everyone dies!" I laughed so hard, I love it when my dad talks about religion.

Posted by: deb 49 ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 10:31AM

yes, whenever the missionaries were coming around and had left a book they kept advising/asking me "have you read any of the BOM Over 4 months I've read (or tried to read) maybe 110 pages. Seemed to have been more interested in the GP book they gave me.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 11:42AM

I was always too embarrassed to distribute BoM's to nonmember folks that actually knew me, so I never did. Personally, I read it 5 times straight through and spent several hours each week dissecting its doctrine, trying to reconcile its teachings with D&C and modern church teachings. That was all vanity, though, an ignorant youthful endeavor, and in the back of my mind I knew that the book had serious flaws. There was no chance that I would expose myself to ridicule from my nonmember friends, most of whom were judgmental intellectual assholes without tact (I miss those guys!).

My best friend, an atheist to the core, once asked for a Book of Mormon just to be a bastard. I refused, so his psycho Christian-Fundie mother invited the missionaries over to teach him. I was mortified, and he was pissed. I refused to show up while the missionaries were over, and after they left I would pop in to apologize.

I used to think my embarrassment derived from my lack of faith, but now I realize it was my bullshit detector on overdrive.

Date: March 19, 2011 01:30PM

Um, hello, RfM?

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 01:53PM

The snarky asshole-ishness of some of the posters is why I love it here.

Date: March 19, 2011 02:37PM

We all do what we can.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 11:51AM

Gave one to my best friend and one to m teacher why? because I was told I had to.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 11:57AM

Why bother?

Investigators assume that if they read the Book of Mormon they will get a good idea of LDS beliefs. However, the Book of Mormon teaches one God, not plural gods as in Mormonism. It mentions heaven and hell, not three degrees of glory, no temple marriage or secret temple ceremonies. It does not teach baptism for the dead, pre-existence of man, eternal progression or a command to practice polygamy.

The BoM represents the Mormonism of 1830, NOT the Mormonism of today. On many doctrines it actually contradicts the Mormonism of today. So, why bother?

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 12:05PM

I tried to read it several times. I never understood anything I read,,and did not see anything religious about it. I think there was a guideline to show a certain order of things to read. I also read Mickey Mouse,,and enjoyed it much more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.