Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 04:14PM

The missionaries finally found me and left their number. I am an inactive member living in Mississippi. I have not called them back, nor have I checked my messages. Should I contact them? They haven't actually seen me. When they came to my door I was not dressed, and I spoke to them through the door.

If I choose to contact them, the best that can happen is that they will politely leave me alone when I tell them I do not believe in Mormonism. The worst that can happen is that they will be persistent and induce me to get angry, getting a few referrals out of me along the way.

One thing that will NOT happen--we will not have an intelligent discussion about why I do not believe. I went on a mission, and I know that intelligent conversation about religion is unheard of in the mission field. I originally was wary about serving a mission, but I finally decided to go because I was interested in intellectual discussion, and I wanted to talk to people about all religious ideas, including the idea that religion might not be true at all. I thought that by doing this I would be helping the Church, if it were true. I would gain a very strong testimony through debating the pros and cons of the Church. How wrong I was! When I got into the MTC, my companion was NOT an intellectual. Not at all! When I said, "How do you know the Church is true?", the question did not sit well with him! I asked the same question of an instructor, and later of a MTC psychologist and of the MTC president himself! The last two especially stifled any attempt by me to even suggest that the Church might not be true!

When I got out into the mission field, I asked the same question to my companion: "How to you know the Church is true?" He was VERY hard to deal with and he didn't take that question well at all. After that I wanted to go home from my mission and I let my parents know. They tried to keep me on my mission, and so did some other people. I ended up staying on my mission, but since the mission did not allow any critical discussion, I was unable to do what I had originally intended, and I just went through the motions. When I got home, my mother wondered why I was so tired. A friend of me said that I seemed "half dead".

I then resumed my education at BYU, majoring in Philosophy (a Philosophy major at BYU!) At some point in my studies, I read an anti-Mormon book that said that the BYU honor code prohibits masturbation. I wanted to do the right thing, and told my bishop that I masturbated, thinking that he would not consider it a big deal (like most Mormons tend to say when confronted with the issue). Surprisingly, he refused to sign my ecclesiastical endorsement. I had told him because I wanted to do the right thing. Having only a short time left at BYU, I graduated earlier than I had wanted to, with my degree in Philosophy. Why did I tell my bishop? Did I subconsciously want to start challenging the Church again? Anyway, after graduating in 1993 I soon started getting deep into anti-Mormon literature (this was before the internet). I spoke with Sandra Tanner for 2 hours and that was it.

I know from experience that if I talk with the missionaries, there is no way on earth that they will try to see things my way. The mission field simply does not allow intellectual freedom. If I leave an impression that the Church is not true, it will sink in only after the missionary has left his mission, and probably only after he leaves BYU, if he goes there. I could try to make "friends" with the missionaries, talking about things in common, but I know that the mission field is not about making friends. It is about getting people to convert to or stay active in the Church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 04:21PM

Well, you could either tell them to f-off, or have some fun with it. They most likely aren't going to f-off for good, so I say, unless you really have no desire, give them a good helping of facts until they're too scared to set foot in your house, for fear of getting those doubtful feelings again. You would also be doing the world a little bit of good.

Posted by: deb 49 ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 04:26PM

Hello!! I'm from/reside in MS, myself. do not know if you are from here or are here b/c of job, etc. As you may notice mormon faith is not as prominant here as lots of the other faiths. Btw, I've met missionaries 4 about 4 mos. now. ALMOST became a mormon & canceled my baptism twice since the last couple of days in feb. What saved me is this board, along w/internet, books, etc. Missionaries, members, etc. have all been so very warm and friendly. So, until I started doing my own research, it seemed much like other denominations, worshiping god, etc. it was things i've since found out, i.e. church demands, temple happenings, secret handshakes, etc. gl2u, and myself, I can't be mean to them but I can't be baptised either. (was baptised 37 yrs. ago in a church here in MS.

Posted by: exmowife ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 04:40PM

Late last summer my Ex-Mo DH went to the door to greet missionaries that stood there. He was very polite, told them about his own mission, told them how much he understood what they were up against and how hard it was. Then he admitted he was excommunicated twenty years ago and was happily attending the local Catholic church with me on occasion. They were backing up already at the excommunicated part, but the 'Catholic' part must have hit a nerve.
We discussed the experience after they went up the walk and decided that it would not truly have an effect until later in the lives of these two young men. As most of his family lives locally, we are on the 'DO NOT CONTACT' list.
You have not officially left the church according to what you say, is there a reason you are unwilling to rock the boat? Your confidence in your decision seems sound; polite banter with documented facts would not be out of order if they actually confront you - not returning a call is no big deal (passive aggressive).
Good luck with your situation.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 04:47PM

The last missionaries that came to my door are the ones that gave me the info I needed to have my name removed from records.

"How do I get you and everyone else to leave me alone - forever?"

"You have to have your name removed from church records."

"How do I do that?"

And he told me what I needed to do.

Last time I ever had anyone come to my door.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 09:54PM

++ good

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 10:04PM

Tell them you're an atheist. Last bunch that came to my house left quickly and no more have come since. I think they must have put me on a stay away from that guy list.

Posted by: Omg ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 10:24PM

Tell them you've found true piece and spiritual enlightenment after you converted to [insert Christian/Judaism/Buddhism/Hinduism/Sikhism/Jainism/Islam/Jedi Knight/anything else here]. Then say that "now that you're here, let me tell you about my one true faith.

If you go all missionary on them, they will run a mile.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 10:27PM

I do believe in God, because my mother has been clinically dead before, and she saw what was on the other side. She was baptized into the LDS church, but she almost never attended, and never went far in it.

I DO NOT believe that the Mormon church is true, though. Because my mother (while on the other side) was never pressured to be "more worthy", and she was allowed to be with her earth family (none of whom were Mormon), and see God directly. There were no multiple wives having endless babies. No "3 different kingdoms". No having to be "temple worthy" to be in the presence of God. It was just a loving God, and her relatives. Right and wrong. Good and evil. You were either or, and that was it. And she was welcome there.

Now, my mom drank and did drugs most of her adult life. I don't blame her, she had been through hell. Raped by her stepfather (and his friends, as a way of settling gambling debts) ages 10 to 15. But she still grew up to be funny, sweet and inspirational/loving. Very strong woman. She's been divorced 3 times, and had (willing) sex outside marriage many times. But she was still a good person. She never stole, or hurt anyone. Always worked a job and paid her bills. Never been arrested. And always loved her family and did her best to help others. She has never been to an LDS temple, and never worn garments. Never been sealed to anyone.

So if she is welcome there, then we all are, damn it! As long as we are mostly kind and decent in our hearts. So the missionaries can just go suck on that! I'll believe someone who's actually BEEN there before I will believe anyone else.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 10:37PM by melissa3839.

Posted by: Anon455 ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 12:00AM

Thank you so much for talking about your mom's near death experience....or if she clinically dead, her death experience! I find great comfort in all that you describe. It is so different from the harshness of church doctrine--but exactly what I would imagine a loving God would have for his children.

Posted by: blueskyutah ( )
Date: March 18, 2011 11:47PM

I sounds to me like you want an encounter. If you decide to see them, I would advise approaching them in a low key questioning kind of way. Rather than telling them what you already know, try planting questions into their heads that will perhaps sprout into a curiosity which could lead them out. In other words, try to make them think by asking questions, like perhaps the same questions you asked yourself which led you to where you are, "how do you know the church is true?"

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 01:14AM

Ignore them.

By now you should know that "intellectual debate" is an oxymoron in Mormonism.

Posted by: sweettasteofwoman ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 11:30AM

tell them to leave you alone.

tell them to stop stalking and harassing you.

tell them mormonism is a scam,joseph smith lied.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 12:14PM

Resign, if you don't want them to bother you. Debate is futile. "Intellectual discussion" within mormonism is an oxymoron.

Date: March 19, 2011 12:17PM

where's the "like" button!!!!

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 03:14PM

1. The next time they show up, call the police and tell them you have stalkers.
2. (and this is only if you feel comfortable doing this) come on to one of them. That should scare them off!

Date: March 19, 2011 03:30PM

yes, they're still leaving vm's etc. to see "how i'm doing" we've gone through all lessons, etc. really don't know what they could even want to talk about. unless, their superiors are on them, hot & heavy.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 03:33PM

failures. If they could only close the deal all would be right with the world.

Date: March 19, 2011 03:45PM

That is in sarcasm, I know.Wanted to hit the "like" button when i read your response.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 03:48PM

Posted by: Emmas flaming sword ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 06:36PM

Helen Mar Kimball, who was 14 at the time of her marriage. Tell them you want to know more about her. See what mayhem you create.

Posted by: serenityseeker ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 06:42PM

When I moved, the "bishop" called me up and said he had me penciled in for an interview the following day. I said, "That won't be happening. I'm not a member of your church and requested in my resignation letter no new contact from church leaders, so don't call me on this subject again." He was speechless and had not tried to contact us since.

You don't have to let them in your house or even answer the phone. The only power they have over you is what you give them. They have no true power.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 06:51PM

Maybe you could tell them that you know they are under a lot of pressure to get their numbers up-since you were once a missionary- and ask what you can do to help them. I think they have to give a certain number of prayers or mini-lessons per week depending on the mission.

Tell them you know it is all about the numbers and then you pick the easiest thing to help them with their numbers, but you will only do that if they will let you tell them a few truths about the church that you have discovered since you were a missionary.

That seems like a pretty fair trade to me.

Posted by: hollensnopper ( )
Date: March 19, 2011 07:23PM

Here is an intellectual arguement you could probably use on the missionaries.

"Don't you teach/believe that the One True Church on earth must have 12 apostles because that's the way Jesus organized His church?"
they reply, Yes
"I think I can prove to you that He did no such thing, if you are honest enough to see what the Scripture says."
Get your Bible and turn to the book of John, ch18:36
(This is Jesus before Pilot-the morning of His crucifixion. and the LAST day He had 12 apostles.) He is explaining to Pilot that He has NO earthly organization...
next go to Matthew 27:3-6 where Judas kills himself after he sees that Jesus is condemned.
Now, back to John 20:19 (thru the end of the book of John, if you like) The point being that Jesus appeared to the apostles (all 11 of them) for 40 days after His resurrection and never even mentioned a replacement for Judas.
Now go to the book of Acts, ch One. Read vs 3 thru 9. Verse 6 seems to be the followers asking Jesus to get some sort of orginazation going, but He answers (vs 7) "You don't get to know" and He is taken up into Heaven.

Now IF having 12 apostles is critical to His church, then the

kindest thing you can say is that He was criminally neglegent in

not naming a 12th apostle.

Next, you notice in the book of Acts Ch one, vs 15 thru 26, that having 12 apostles was Peter's idea (before the Holy Spirit fell)based on a scripture verse he had read: and rather than the other 10 apostles saying something like, "Gee, Peter, that scripture SOUNDS like it might mean that..why don't we pray and find out if that is what we are really supposed to do?", they jump all over it, make up their own rules for how it should go, (vs 21-26) and present it to the Lord as a done deal...."We have decided to do this, You just have to decide which one...."
So it turns out that having 12 apostles is a sure sign of a man made church.
Then, just for fun, have them read the 2d chapter of Acts. You are going for the very last verse which proves that there was no provision for keeping earthly membership records.

Then you can take it whatever direction you want:
Now that you know your church leaders have lied to you about THIS, you might want to see what ELSE they have lied to you about.........
Good luck

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.