Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: omen ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 09:41AM

My wife told me a story last night that I had never heard.

A few years ago we lived in Arizona. The time came up for her recommend interview. She was approached by her home teacher and said that he wanted to get everything set up with her and the bishop. She says that she doesn't pay tithing because it would cause too many problems with our marraige. Plus, once she found out about the business side of TSCC she has been less inclined to finance their business ventures. He says he understands and it should still be ok since I was not a member.

So she meets with the bishop and he says the same thing. Better to have a good relationship at home than to give the church money when they don't really need it. So on to the stake president.

He calls my wife and says that he will not give her a recommend since she is not worthy. Now keep in mind, despite the problems that we have, I can in all honesty say that this woman busts her hump for the church. Always there, taking three children by herself every week. She never turns down callings, makes meals for other members, etc... It was only about the money. She said she couldn't believe it and that's when (unknown to me) that she started to have real problems with some stuff at church. Nothing major, but definitely saw that the "priesthood" was nothing special and only served to inflate egos.

I'm so glad she waited to tell me. I would have torn that asshat a new one. I can't think of any other scenario where I would be arguing to have my wife admitted to the temple.

Lookin' good lds inc.....lookin' real good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 10:12AM

If Mr.Omen forbids the faithful spouse from wasting family funds on the church she can and should be claimed as Exempt.

This is a common thing, and if the member is faithful and desirous to pay if possible then the inability to do so is not held against them.

The real reason is the thing she said about Priesthood and the business ventures. But if their reasoning really is purely about the money, should contact her local Seventy.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 10:47AM

My recollection of the CHI is that the only reason for exemption from tithing is if a person is solely dependant on church welfare, or is a full-time missionary.

However, there is also this, in the section on temple recommends:
"A worthy member who is married to an unendowed spouse, whether the spouse is a member or
nonmember, may receive a recommend when (1) the bishop receives the written consent of the spouse
and (2) the bishop and stake president are satisfied that the responsibility assumed with the endowment
will not impair marital harmony."

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 11:13AM

We had two sisters and one Brother in our ward who were exempt because of marital issues. They were claimed as exempt for tithing settlement and they all had temple recommends.

True, we also had elderly who are on fixed incomes and they also were exempt.

It may also depend upon the Bishop or Stake President, but truly it would be most unfair for a Sunday School teacher who is active in all of her or his callings and duties be denied merely because their spouse refused to let them spend the family income on tithing.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 01:37PM

Please, please tell me this is in the CHI. I am trying desperately to stop my mother who is 91, dementia, nearly blind, etc. from asking me to pay her tithing again. If I could have a clear reason why she doesn't need to, I think I could convince her she will still be ok in Gods eyes if she doesn't give that cult any more of her social security money.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 01:44PM

My friend's elderly mother is living on a shoestring fixed budget, and pays tithing to her own detriment (I think she's short on food or medicine).

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 01:55PM

It is true that the elderly can be listed as exempt.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 01:27PM

I hope it opens her eyes to the whole fraud.

Posted by: just a gal ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 04:24PM

Yes, maybe this has opened her eyes just a bit to the truth about Mormonism. Add a few more experiences like this and it may not take long for her to work her way out.

Crossing my fingers for you Omen...life goes much better when both spouses are out.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 04:27PM

"He calls my wife and says that he will not give her a recommend since she is not worthy. Now keep in mind, despite the problems that we have, I can in all honesty say that this woman busts her hump for the church. Always there, taking three children by herself every week. She never turns down callings, makes meals for other members, etc... It was only about the money. She said she couldn't believe it and that's when (unknown to me) that she started to have real problems with some stuff at church. Nothing major, but definitely saw that the "priesthood" was nothing special and only served to inflate egos."

Tell your wife to compare the above with what she went thru to determine her "worthiness" and compare it to Jesus and His teachings.....

There is a clear and marked difference between mormon doctrine and what Jesus taught...which I'm sure you already know..

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.