Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Omg ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 01:23PM

Bills outlawing discrimination against those who believe in Intelligent Design and to certain extents promoting Creationism and challenges to Darwinian evolution in the science classroom are making headway, in some cases rapidly, in several States.

The democratization, and associated attacks, of scientific fact has been a depressing trend in the US for years. But I do wonder how long it will be before science classes in certain states will be taught about the science of seer stones and vanishing gold plates?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: beeblequix ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 05:30PM

Would you mind posting some links that describe these Bills?

Incidentally I don't ever see the foundational roots of Mormonism ever showing up in a *Science* classroom, other than to distinguish falsifiability from *unfalsifiabiliy*.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 05:36PM

The U.S. is in a race to the bottom - teaching to tests, dumbing down the curriculum, including religion as science BS in biology, feel good versus perform well standards, movies in "art" and "music" class (our school district). I don't know if my girls will remain in public schools for their entire school career b/c I may not be able to take the BS for that long.

Oh well, there is nothing that will change this in the near term.

Posted by: zygar ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 05:40PM

I too would like to see these bills. I'm not doubting their existence, but would rather like to confront the stupidity.

Date: March 23, 2011 05:54PM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 06:12PM

I have to challenge your assertion "Bills outlawing discrimination against those who believe in Intelligent Design and to certain extents promoting Creationism and challenges to Darwinian evolution in the science classroom are making headway, in some cases rapidly, in several States"

Reading a quick look at the "status" of those bills shows

4 died in died in committee

1 hasn't even been referred to a comity.

I would have to look at the two bills from Tennessee, but I do not really see a problem with "assist teachers to find effective ways to present the science curriculum as it addresses scientific controversies." The affective way science addresses creationism is to state that there is no scientific evidence to support it. But I would have to take a closer look at it.

So, the only two that are going anywhere I might not have a problem with. I've been around politics enough to have learned that many bills are introduced with no hope of them every passing. The bills are introduced so the person introducing the bill can go back to his constituents and say he did something.

Date: March 23, 2011 06:31PM

You have more faith in your politicians than I do, then.

I would say the Texan law has a fair chance of getting somewhere with the makeup of the Texan legislature at the moment. And others will be back.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 06:48PM

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 23, 2011 08:02PM

"Scientists are stupid," said Holly Berry, standing up proudly in her Mormon seminary class. "They say monkeys turn into people. But when a monkey is born, it stays a monkey until it dies." She then sat down in a whiff of cheap perfume and triumph.

"Hmm," said the Mormon seminary teacher. "To be fair, I think that they are talking about gradual changes that occur over vast amounts of time. And they don't say that people come directly from monkeys, but that we have a common ancestry."

Holly's faced twisted up like a dried berry. I decided that teacher was pretty cool for a Mormon.

True story,
Don Bagley

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.