Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:40AM

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything".

Oh, the irony!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:44AM

The lack of self-awareness of Mormons never ceases to amaze me.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:54AM

And assuming that 'they stand for something' and other people don't, just because they don't agree with what another stands for.

Feeling the need to stand 'for something' is absurd also. With some questions there is a right, a wrong, in others there is no right or wrong, and in others there are many rights or many wrongs. Mormons like everything black and white, but the real world isn't like that.

How about "If you insist on standing for something at all times, you will or HAVE fallen for something given to you by another."

Posted by: isthisnameok? ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:22AM

you should reply: Speaking of "falling or anything" how's life on Kolob these days?

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 09:10AM

Posted by: brandy ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:30AM

or a submarine with a screen door. LOL

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:48AM

ROTFLMAO

Posted by: quoth the raven nevermo ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:32AM

Hey about falling for a great buy on some used tokens??

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:49AM

Are they gambling "token"s?

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 06:18AM

I hate the song and the idea behind the song. Such BS.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 07:59AM

I had a pair of mishies use that line on me one night. I told them point blank they were lucky we were in my mother's house or else they be geeting ripped a new one.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 08:49AM

you know that quote about Nazi Germany that goes something like...

we saw them take away the Jews, but we weren't Jews so we didn't worry. Gypsies, Slavs et al. It runs down the list and ends with then they came to take us away and there was no one there to save us.

It's either familiar or not.

anyway, somebody used that quote to attack our troop because we did not step in line when BSA kicked out the gays. He actually used that quote to say how wrong we were to not stand with the BSA on the gay issue.

Needless to say, I did not bother to reply.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 08:52AM

I have a FB friend that is a pretending believer due to family circumstances.A quote on his page says:"The true shall set you free. But first, it's really going to piss you off." Oh, how I can relate to that one!

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:35AM

I will now commit perjury!

Thanks, Ladybug!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 09:13AM

The Mormon Church has stood for:
Racism - in fact it still teaches white men not to marry black women and visa versa

Sexism - in fact it still does

Homophobia - yep, still standing for that

Polygamy - stood for it, then didn't stand for it, but will stand for it in heaven

God being a man - well I don't know that we stand for it...

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:38AM

I do stand for something. Just not the Mormon fraud.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:41AM

Hmm... when you think about the fictional book of mormon, the first vision, blind faith (when the prophet speaks the thinking's been done), the popularity of MLMs (regardless of whether or not someone is successful at it, most of them are still hawking at least one of not 3 MLM products/plans) in Utah, and a variety of things I'm forgetting, I think it would be more apt phrased this way:

Because you fall for everything, you'll never be able to pull yourself up and individually take a stand against anything (like the chuch's lies, for instance).

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:46AM

From "Integrity," from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:

Vices that undermine integrity-

Arrogance, dogmatism, fanaticism, monomania, preciousness, sanctimoniousness, and rigidity. These are all traits that can defeat integrity in so far as they undermine and suppress attempts by an individual to critically assess and balance their desires, commitments, wishes, changing goals and other factors.

iii. One can fail to live up to a commitment because one has changed one's mind and adopted a different commitment or moral principle. This is normal moral change (hopefully, growth, not regression) and to condemn this for lack of integrity would require us to keep the moral beliefs we first formed as children throughout our lives.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.