Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: runforthehills ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:30PM

I am a psychology major in college, partly fueled by my former days as a Mormon. I think watching the behavior of my former LDS peers in relation to the LDS culture was bound to make me a psychologist regardless of if I wanted to be one or not. ;)

I don't attend college in a Mormon area, so my professors and classmates are fascinated by the LDS religion and always ask me questions about it. Which kind of gave me some thoughts for my future thesis. Now I am jumping the gun by about two semesters here, but I really think basing my topic on something related to the Morg might be a slam dunk with my professors and peers. They have kinda proven to me that all the psychosocial aspects of the church and it's culture are fascinating and worth studying further. The problem is, I don't really know what direction to take my thesis. Should I focus on something like cognitive dissonance, or go somewhere else with it?

I suppose what I am asking is this; what psychological aspects of the church are the most fascinating to you as an exmormon looking back at your time in the church? I am sure we all noticed things about it now that we did not recognize while we were members.

As I said, I am kinda getting a head start on this thesis business, but I am too excited to wait. Plus I know my professors will enjoy any topic relating to my time in the Morg. Any ideas?

Sorry for any typos or unclear thoughts. I am typing this with a massive headache

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 12:46AM

YES. Born Free on postmormon is one to contact about that. He and I were discussing the idea on the phone a few weeks ago.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 01:29AM

De- programming from a cult like mind set would be interesting. It's something I still work on 2 years after the fact....

Hope your head feels better....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 01:30AM by heather.

Posted by: exmowife ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 01:42AM

What are the questions most frequently asked by your professors and peers? Remember to keep your focus narrow as too much of a topic and you will dig yourself in too deeply. Hope the head feels better and you find some inspiration - your own experience will be your best guide.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.