Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:18PM

So a member of the EQ Presidency really wanted to do a PPI with me, however, there was a visit to the Ward from the Stake President and 1 never occurred. I told the EQ guy before that there was no point in really visiting with me about HT, since I hadn't done it.

So right after class the EQ Pres walks over and hands me my Home teaching route as I am leaving.

The Stake President (who is kind of tall btw) glances over both our shoulders catching a glimpse of the route (which I probably won't be able to do, since I got a new job which involves working nights) gave me. There are 5 or 6 names.

To which the stake president pipes up and says.

"Is that all? There should be a minimum of 9 or 10!"

Good grief.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 01:56PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 02:48PM

Insensitive jerk.

Primus, is it okay with you to HT that many? If not, do you feel free to say otherwise?

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 02:53PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 02:58PM

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:06PM

Thats 30 or 40 who won't be bothered.

Also I have heard the Bishopric say that if any are asking for NO CONTACT to let them know, so they can VISIT them. Even they should be visited ONCE a year MINIMUM whether they like it or not.

Maybe you who have requested no contact should start pulling a Cheryl and have the garden hose ready for unwanted visitors.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 06:34PM

Primus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Also I have heard the Bishopric say that if any
> are asking for NO CONTACT to let them know, so
> they can VISIT them. Even they should be visited
> ONCE a year MINIMUM whether they like it or not.

I detect a link between this and the ward budgets now being linked directly to HT numbers.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 06:10AM

There's nothing wrong with chasing serial trespassers off one's property.

I'm glad that creep didn't get you down with his comment about 9 or 10 HTer families. What a passive/aggressive oaf.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 05:51PM

…but you won't be home teaching. That works!

That the church insists upon visiting those members who have clearly indicated "no contact" is disgusting. It is yet another example of Mormon leadership's unwillingness to respect boundaries.

Posted by: soudemais ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 06:41PM

Hey guys! What do you say about them home teaching cookies??? They really built my testimony. I recall one fast and testimony meeting where I bore testimony that I reactivated myself only because the home teachers can bake damn good cookies!....NOT!

Oops, its word of wisdom O'clock, time to get a beer! SSSHHHH don't tell my home teachers, unless they intend to bring over some good nachos.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 06:57PM

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 06:38AM

You clearly don't understand the point of a PPI. It is not to praise you for completing your job, but to make you feel guilty for not doing it. If you don't do your HT, then you really need to attend to be berated.

As for having 10 families, that shows a serious lack of activity in the ward. If every family has a Priesthood leader, then a HT group should only have 1-2 families. Having 5 families shows a 20% activity rate among the Priesthood. Having 10 shows a 10% activity rate. The SP should be horrified that so few people want to play their games.

If their goal is to look after these families, how are you supposed to get to know 10 families with a family of your own and a FT job?

Posted by: TheExorcist ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:13AM

This is the same sort of thing the LDS church always wrestles with. They pay a ton of lip service to their numbers game having a spiritual component. This was the same deal when I was on my mission. We had a sheet that we filled out as a companionship every week that detailed how many discussions, baptismal challenges, etc and then you would have to justify low or nonexistent numbers to your DL, ZLs and APs. Emphasis and guilt campaigns always waxed and waned but there was always that underlying subtext of guilt. Same with HT. And it really depends on who your SP is and his emphasis. Our current SP doesnt seem to care that much about it whereas another stake I lived in close by I was EQP and we had a meeting every month with a counselor in the SP and it was like being back on the mission again. Justify your numbers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.