Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 07:04PM

Well, not exactly in those words but lamented that the place was being taken over by gangs, murderers and other criminal elements.

From my occasional visits to the Land of Desolation up through the narrow neck of Interstate 15, I don't seem to be observing that.

I can't figure out why TBMers would claim SLC is going to the dogs. Boring and predictable and White and Mormon? Certainly, that's in many respects the case.

Which means that with those "attributes," you'd think Latter-day Quaints would love the place.

But both from what I've personally observed and have been told by so-called "outsiders" who live in Salt Lake's changing inside, it's not Mormonish everywhere and, in fact, is becoming less so.

Some of my friends tell me that there's actually a funky, alternative, cool hang-outs/restaurants/bars, artistic community atmosphere sprouting up in the downtown area in the form of out-of-the-box places to go and things to do--and from what I can see, that appears to be happenin,' man. Like maybe a real city in embryo.

Perhaps TBMs consider human diversity to be proof of gangs, murderers and other criminal elements.

Jeezus, save us from your prudish followers.

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 03:53AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 07:06PM

hmm, that would explain why I love the town so much! It's a haven from utah county...

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 08:34PM

Curious, is Utah Co. really so different than SLC? I have heard that before and I am very curious about this, I do not doubt you, but can you explain?

I would like to know that others have it even worse than living in SL as I do. I would love to get out of the United Cities of Utah in Total, but feel very stuck here for many reasons.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 10:18PM

think4u Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Curious, is Utah Co. really so different than SLC?
> I have heard that before and I am very curious
> about this, I do not doubt you, but can you
> explain?

Yes, it is, very different. More things are open on Sundays here in SLC including things like 24 hour fitness. You'll run across more openly gay people here. The city counsel is usually supportive of the gay community. Over all, diversity is much more accepted here. I also think there are more good restaurants in SLC than south of the point of the mountain.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 07:16PM

I haven't lived there for six years, but back then if you went to the free outdoor concerts at Galavan Center on Thurs nights, you would see a lot of the non-TBM crowd there.

I suppose that TBM's would see it as a bad place to be, but it was a nice relief for my wife and I to go and see normal people. And we were even TBMish at the time.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 07:22PM

...or attract folks to go shopping there. So I'm all in favor of this perception, accurate or not. I've know so many Mormons who were good at scaring themselves out of a nice time.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 07:27PM

I think the mormons are pushing a new meme: SLC is going to hell, so all the more need to save it with the City Creek Project.

I hear you can buy t-shirts with the atheist "A" design at the SLC farmers market during the warmer months. That sure sounds dangerous. /snark

SLC will have an even larger dead zone on Sundays when City Creek is completed. It will be as dead as the mormon version of heaven.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 08:08PM

Just sayin'

TG

Posted by: Lindi ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 08:14PM

Mormon heaven IS hell. Can you imagine spending eternity surrounded by mormons?

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 08:16PM

LOL. He has no idea. The numbers of funky little places is certainly increasing, there's no doubt about that. But in the 25 years I have lived in SLC, there has always been a funky, art community, outsider feel to the place.

Most Mormons abandoned SLC, and downtown specifically, in the post-war era. Just like many other places. That left the town to "us". The "counter-culture". We are legion. Because in Utah "counter-culture" = Non-Mormon. We're easily identified, even without secret handshakes. Once we spot one another, we immediately have something to talk about.

*shrug* SLC has been a different beastie for a very long time now.

Date: March 29, 2011 08:37PM

Please list some good places, bars, whatever to hang out in downtown SLC- it would be worth the drive from Sandy for sure.

Date: March 29, 2011 08:50PM

The last bar I went to was the Beer Hive. It's on Main Street, one block south of the Great & Spacious Mall. Beautifully restored building. Serves German pub food. :) And you can take Trax.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=the+beerhive+salt+lake&fb=1&gl=us&hq=the+beerhive&hnear=Salt+Lake+City,+UT&cid=15539640153789931117

Next door is the Vienna Bistro. Always wanted to eat there, but haven't yet. Good, fine dining, I hear.

Bambara at Hotel Monaco and their bar (forget the name, but they make a delicious Manhattan) is a great restaurant and also easily reached by Trax. Also on Main Street.

There are a few brew pubs and regular pubs within walking distance of downtown, too.

Loads and loads of various ethnic restaurants to choose from.

There's this great new-ish tapas place right across from the baseball field (west), is it Spring Mobile? Great food and wine list:

http://meditrinaslc.com/

Fantastic dim sum (every day before 3) here:

http://www.hongkongteahouse.com/

This is adjacent to the Gateway.

In Sugar House, The Paris Bistro and the adjacent Zinc Bar are in a funky little shopping area at 15th and 15th. If you love bookstores, be sure to go to The King's English across the street. Caputo's just opened a deli there, too.

The Sugar House Pub and Fiddler's Elbow are pubs on 11th East and 21st South, where there USED TO BE an awesomely weird little shopping district. There are some shops still around the demolished area, but not as nice as it once was. Make sure to get a couple tacos at the taco cart there. :)

My specialty, back in the day, was dive bars. Now, I may be totally wrong here, but I am assuming dive bars are not really your hang out of choice? ;) If I'm wrong here, do let me know and I'll post a list.

Date: March 29, 2011 09:13PM

Thank you so much. Great suggestions. I took notes. I like a nice bar, but not a dive. Do you know of any good places/ bars where they dance?

Date: March 29, 2011 10:08PM

Since I saw your Dee's Dancing Thread, I've been racking my brains trying to think of some! I can't come up with any off the top of my head, but I've got a friend who will know.

I'll ask around for ya!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 10:12PM

It is small but there is usually enough room on the floor for one more.

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:52AM

And, yes, the Beer Hive is a nice place and Vienna Bistro is very, very good.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 10:53PM

I think gangs were far worse years ago, and many areas of downtown have been reborn through renewed interest, and attention - especially Capitol Hill, and the blocks to the west of West Temple.

Of course the real criminals arrived when BY, and his gang set foot in the valley. LD$ have been the worst offenders, and have done the most damage in my life. Main Street lawyers, in their approved, and proper suits, have probably robbed more, and hurt more people than the homeless, gangs, and demonized normal people combined.

I have not been to many restaurants, but there is variety. At night, sometimes you can hear all kinds of music. I always found it interesting to observe the other opera goers walk past the kids in the Club DV8 crowd while going to, and from the opera.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 12:10AM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:49PM

Compared with places like Utah County, lots of people in Rose Park and Glendale have been Cursed By God With A Dark Skin.

Many of them also go to Catholic churches.

That's why The Morg is trying that "Northwest Quadrant" real estate scam. They want White And Delightsome TBM's to move in and get rid of the Democratic mayor and city council.

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 09:57AM

What do you mean by Northwest Quadrant real estate scam?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 12:07AM

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 12:18AM

I have Mormon family in the Provo area, and they say Salt Lake City is an evil place. Yet it's ground zero for their religion. Such a schizophrenic people.

Though I must admit, Salt Lake City is the first place I saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show at midnight. Ha ha. Dating myself there.

Date: March 30, 2011 09:27AM

If so, that's where I saw it the first time too. Back when it was on South Temple next door to Cosmic Aeroplane. :)

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 09:33AM

Oh those poor TBMs! They can't handle reality coming their way, boo hoo.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:50AM

I'm going to second the Beer Hive. (And elee, if you've eaten the food there, you've actually eaten food from the Vienna Bistro. Beer Hive doesn't have their own kitchen)

I'll also second the Bayou. If you go there, make sure you get their sweet potato fries and try a 'Dirty Hoe'

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 30, 2011 10:57AM

And here I thought it was already hell. Shows you what I know.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.