Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 03:00PM

My BIC granddaughter had a very public ceremony under a tropical full moon with a hundred guests. She married a non Mormon and the event planner for the occasion included grandparents in the grand entrance. I was the lead promenader.
After they read their love letters to each other where not one word of any deity or church was mentioned, we retired to delicious finger foods and an open beer.
the full dinner came after we once more paraded into the ballroom with me in the lead facing a battery of cameras and applause. then came the other grandparents, mother of the bride, parents of the groom, flower girls, bridesmaids in hot tight off the shoulder red dresses. their shoes were also red and made them tower over all of us like Lady Gaga's platform shoes do.
after the champagne toast we dug into the roast beef, salad bar, pasta bar, and filled bags of candy to take home.
The lovely young couple led off the dancing with a sexy cha cha! that was the way to do it, and the irony was that the officiating "minister" got his credential online! Librarian

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elee ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 03:04PM

Congrats to your granddaughter and her new hubbie!

Posted by: roxydog1312 ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 03:18PM

My daughter got married last fall. Thank GOD (or whomever) that I got her out of the church when she was little. Here is a list of things that would be different if it was a Mormon wedding:

1. First of all she is an engineer in a very difficult field of study, where there are very few women. Not a music or elementary education major.

2. She graduated from a prestegious school, one of 80 women in a class of 200. Not BYU.

3. The wedding was open to everyone that wanted to come. They sent out hundreds of invitations, and there was probably 100 people there. There were no mormons. None.

4. Beautiful single brides maids with hansom single groomsman. If it was a temple wedding, there would be no single people there. That would leave out my other daughter!

5. Open bar.

6. Dancing all night long.

7. Champaign toasts (one given by my younger unmairried daughter that was absolutely the best thing I ever heard, a real tribute to her sister and new brother. It was very moving!)

8. Unmarried daughter brought her boyfriend who is definately part of the family already.

9. It was just a wonderful time, and none of it would have been possible had I not gotten my kids out of the mormon church.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 03:42PM

What a wonderful way to celebrate a marriage--and that was a true 'family centered' ceremony! Congratulations!!

Posted by: Never Mo Wife and Mom ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 03:56PM

How wonderful! Sounds like a real celebration of their love that INCLUDES everyone.

The day I have been dreading is happening next month. My BIC grand-daughter is getting married in the temple. They have chosen not to have the reception at the ward house though, so maybe that will help. Her grandfather and I have decided to stay away from the temple this time. We waited outside while her mother (our only daughter) was married. I just can't (won't) do it again and my DH agrees.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: March 31, 2011 04:05PM

and how cool you got to be the lead promenader!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.