Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:22PM

Just curious. Have you joined another faith? Gone atheist? Chosen your own system of beliefs based on life experience? I was never Mormon, but I was raised in an actual scary religious cult (one that's recognized as such by the public now), so I understand the brainwashing and fear and having to figure everything out on your own once you escape from the groupthink. I'm just wondering what everyone starting thinking about God once they started thinking on their own.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:43PM

After leaving the morg, those two concepts have helped me more than religion ever has.

Posted by: zygar ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:48PM

Agreed.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 06:19PM

I want to hang my star on this wagon.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 06:29PM

+1 more.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:45PM

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 04:45PM

I fully intend to steal that qoute, and call it my own.

=)

HH

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:46PM

Gone atheist! I have three rules to live by: 1. Behave toward others in the same way I would want them to behave toward me (The Golden Rule - it's observed by every religion the world over). 2. Do not behave toward others in a manner that I would not want them to behave toward me (The Golden Rule reversed). 3. Will my behavior be helpful or hurtful?

This may seem terribly simplistic but it works for me.

Date: March 29, 2011 03:49PM

was stolen from Confucius who came up with it over five hundred years before christinsanity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 03:55PM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: March 29, 2011 03:54PM

I think he was the first to call it "golden" but not the originator of the rule.

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:55PM

Dave, I think I mentioned that The Golden Rule is observed by every religion. And just because it's a "religious" idea, doesn't make it a bad idea. My guess is that somebody else came up with it long before even Confucius. And, by the way, I didn't call it The Golden Rule, somebody else did that, too, a long time ago.

My three rules work for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks, Dave, for the comment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 03:56PM by nebularry.

Date: March 29, 2011 04:00PM

I didn't say it was a bad idea. On the contrary, It's a very good idea. It just sickens me how christinsanity claims that it is their idea.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 04:14PM

I like getting kicked in the junk, therefore, I should kick other people in the junk.

Exaggeration I know, but still...

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 06:31PM

Same for me exactly! What nebularry said!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 06:32PM by think4u.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 03:46PM

I would say that the evidence that I've found tends to indicate that there is no God. There seems to be a lot of sense to that explanation. However, there is definitely a possibility of a God, albeit one that is not found in the Bible or Book of Mormon. If he exists and is interested in me, then he definitely doesn't want me to be religious. There's also somewhat of a chance of an afterlife without a God, but again I say that the evidence against these things far outweighs the evidence for.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 04:01PM

I don't believe in god, but I don't hold a 100% belief that he doesn't exist. Just that it seems unlikely to me. I will say that if there is a god and he made this entire planet full of beautiful wonderful feelings and experiences for us to find (some of which even take place with our clothes off or under the influence), I would consider it a slap in his face not to enjoy what he created. What's the point of orgasms if we're never supposed to enjoy sex? Why feel joy and lust and wonderment and then think we should feel guilty about it?

I believe the notion that there's ONE TRUE PATH to god is insulting to god. Assuming he exists, god would have to be a cryptic sadist to put us all on the planet, make zero contact, confirm and/or deny nothing, have a thousand different groups theorize as to what the correct way to get to heaven is, and then expect us to choose the right one. It makes god sound like some fucked up three-card-monte dealer, only with a lot more than three cards and with your soul on the line. If there were a way we were supposed to be living that meant so much to our supreme being then he would do something to make it clear. And no, speaking through prophets who may or may not be schizophrenics or con-men does not equal clarity.

We as humans create religions because we can't deal with uncertainty. Because we have to belong to groups and feel like our group is better than other groups because we have the right answers and they're all wrong. Because we can't accept that maybe life's not fair and maybe suffering and chastity in life don't equal fabulous rewards in heaven. And because at some point a very long time ago some asshole realized that horrible atrocities could be committed and people could be controlled by claiming something was god's will. If god has a will for you then he sure as shit isn't sending people on TV to all give you differing claims of what it is and hoping you'll believe the right one.

That's just my concept though. And since it's a concept and not a religion, it is subject to change without warning any time I feel like changing it.

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 04:05PM

Date: March 29, 2011 04:06PM

After thinking about this further, I realized that what I believe is very well explained by Peter Singer in his book "Practical Ethics". In other words, I am a Utilitarian. I believe in actions that bring about "the greatest happiness or greatest felicity".

No need for a God in my ethical framework.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 04:09PM

Actually, I would consider myself agnostic. I am not copping out, I just think it as wrong to claim that nothing happens after death without any evidence, as it is to claim to know what happens after death, also with no (solid) evidence. Only one way to find out.

Date: March 29, 2011 04:41PM

Awesome, I'm going skydiving next week.
If circumstances allow, I'll let you know.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 10:59PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 04:09PM

I believe in ExMoRon the eternal optimist and in His son Raptor Jesus and in the Holy JoD3:360...

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 04:13PM

and vice versa.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 04:28PM

I'm a disciple of humanity, a zealous believer in the great potential of mankind. We are intelligent and creative, ingenious and adaptive. We don't need a deity to validate our existence. We're doing alright on our own.

Date: March 29, 2011 04:42PM

Amen and Amen!

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 04:35PM

I've sort of gone 'witchy'.

I live with the seasons.. see the earth as the mother of all life, I try to learn as much as I can about her and her (herbal)powers. I like being as 'natural' as I can be. In tune with nature as much as I can because it just suits me. It makes me feel good.

For the rest?.. I go by the short version of all generally accepted morals and standards:

"Try not to be an asshole.."

Works for me. ;-)

Posted by: T-Rex ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 09:16PM

I also live for the seasons, and if religion is not going to provide me religious holidays then I will enjoy the festivals that center around the turn of the seasons.

I don't believe in "Magik," but if I am going to worship something it may as well be what sustains my life. Or in other words, I appreciate and respect the sources of food, water, air, hearth, et cetera. I tell my family that the Mountains where I ski are the natural temples I prefer to attend.

As far as the code that I live by, I believe in ethics and humanity. Except for the mentally deranged, we all have a wired sense of community and survival through mutual respect and support. Whether its called the three-fold law, or golden rule, or whatever, it all generally refers to what we instinctively recognize as a solid guide for judgment.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 04:42PM

I believe in God and Jesus and I think they are two funny guys. Everyone of us is going to be surprised when we die and laughing at each other. Everyone is going to be able to thumb a nose at someone and also say I told ya so. Oh yeah, and this is the part I'm supposed to say - "I'm just trying to do good...." whatever that is.... hehehe

Posted by: tamm ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 05:45PM

I spent a lot of time as just believing in nothing/enjoyed being agnostic. I've recently become very interested in reading and living as a Buddhist. I toyed with the idea for a long time, but now I think that I've really settled on it. The thing that I learned though, from my experiences with Mormonism, is that I shouldn't take any religion too seriously. Will my world collapse suddenly if I find out Buddhism is not the path I thought it was? No. As long as I am being true to myself and what makes me happy, that is what I believe in.

Posted by: Celtic Lass ( )
Date: April 02, 2011 11:27PM

I find that Buddhism fits me very well - no preaching and helps me understand myself and the world around me a bit better every day and that I feel more of a universal citizen instead of alone in the very tiny world of Mormonism.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 06:25PM

D@mned if I know - 6 years into this apostacy thing and I still don't have it figured out!

;o)

Posted by: sweettasteofwoman ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 06:36PM

I'm a born again christian that is saved by grace.

I attend a awesome bible based church....

we christians love Jesus Christ the biblical Jesus.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 08:54PM

I call myself an Eccentric Eclectic - this is why. Maybe some of you are like me.

These are my views that make up my new World View - which I allow to evolve.

After living with the label of Mormon for most of my adult life and I determined that my beliefs would no longer fit that label, I needed a new one to describe my evolving thinking regarding my new world view.

I call myself an Eccentric Eclectic because I like a little bit of a lot of beliefs, notions, and ideas. Perhaps a lot of you are a lot like me.

I like the best notions/ideas from many old and new sources.
I pick and choose what makes sense to me, what can be validated, repeated, and rely on some simple dictionary definitions.

Everyone is technically -- agnostic according to this definition.
a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable ;

In a broad sense I take this position also.
broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

Emotional bonding to traditional beliefs, even if thy are weird superstitions overrides logic and reason if one is constantly immersed in talk that is "truth."

Ignorance (lack of knowledge) and superstition require one ignore the questions of an honest skeptic.

I am part Atheist
About atheism:
Explicit: there are no gods
Implicit a position of non belief in gods due to the lack of evidence.

The default position: non belief in the unsupported theist claim that god exists.
I am agnostic and take the default position.

Those underlying notions in no way deter me from a fulfilled life, filled with fun and laughter, and enjoyment. I am more apt to have a better understanding and able to handle the "bad" times and the ugly behavior of others because I am not relying on a deity to settle the score in some after life.

I am part: AGNOSTIC:
This is safe and the most accurate. To say you are atheist is so politically incorrect, and unacceptable in this day and age that it is suicide to try to run for office, for instance, also, so many people believe that atheism is of the devil that many relationships are cut off before they begin because of this prejudice.

I find that calling myself an agnostic is preferable and works best for my own survival on many levels. Because I live in a predominant Judeo-Christian society (like most of us posting here) to be too far out of it causes more problems that it solves.

I am part SKEPTIC
I want a lot of verifiable information from state of the art sources before I add my allegiance. I do not automatically believe someone because of who they are, what they believe or just because they said so.

I am part HUMANIST
American Humanist - "Humanism is a progressive life stance, free of supernaturalism, which affirms our ability and responsibility to lead meaningful, ethical lives that add to the greater good of humanity."
Again, I am not sure about the "supernaturalism" part, because I allow for all possibilities. Again, I want verifiable evidences.

I like a some Buddhist notions also - not specified here.

If I must have a deity, I choose Deism: might be a God/higher power, creator power, but that power does not intervene specifically in the lives of human beings.

Generally, I use the word: God as a metaphor for what is currently unexplainable, or what cannot be explained.

I like the universal teachings wherever I find them: Love One Another is one from Christianity.
I am convinced there was a man named Yeshua Ben Joseph who lived at one time, but have no belief in the notion that he was the only begotten son of God and a savior for mankind. The claim is impossible.

I put the whole religious belief issue, throughout the history of humanity, in one big category of God Myths, which are predominately cultural; most (not all) of them have at least one deity, some have hundreds, some have a savior.

In category of God Myths, in short-- Joseph Smith Jr created the only American God Myth out of the same general patterns as other religions: claims of a deity/s making contact, visions, metaphysical claims, supernatural claims, instructions for living to attain a specific after life, writing a sacred religious book, claimed inspired translations etc.

My belief system is always subject to change as I evolve and learn more and more.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 08:58PM

And if you don't find yourself happy after giving me your money, then it is your fault and you're going to dino-hell.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 09:01PM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 09:20PM

I don't believe in God, but I don't not believe in Him either. I just don't know.

I label myself as a 'hopeful skeptic' these days.

I have hope that there's more to this, but there's more doubt than hope. As others have said, it seems unlikely.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 09:38PM

... something gets wet!

Timothy

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 10:47PM

Caesar: I thought you had reservations about the gods of Rome --
Gracchus: Privately, I believe in none of them--neither do you. Publicly, I believe in them all...

Sparticus (1960)

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:09PM

The FSM is my captain now. He makes way more sense, therefore he is now in charge. Ahoy Matey's!

Posted by: bjc ( )
Date: March 29, 2011 11:48PM

When I read the book "The Science of God ", I knew that is what I believed but could never put it into words. I think God is much bigger than any doctrine or church.Religion is just man's futile attempt to put human characteristics on something our minds really can't comprehend.I do not believe God is a man with a body, but an Eternal intelligence that is part of everybody and everything.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.